Windows 10: Win7 PC not seeing online Win10 PC after boot

Discus and support Win7 PC not seeing online Win10 PC after boot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 PC that is online 24/7, but when I start up a Windows 7 PC on the same network, it never sees the Win10 system after it finishes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ohante, Dec 19, 2017.

1. ohante Win User

Win7 PC not seeing online Win10 PC after boot

I have a Windows 10 PC that is online 24/7, but when I start up a Windows 7 PC on the same network, it never sees the Win10 system after it finishes booting. I have to reboot the Win10 system while the Win7 system is still running in order for the Win7 system to get the Win10 system to appear in its network connections. They're connected via a Netgear WNDR3700v4 router.

I've been troubleshooting this on and off for the past few weeks but have yet to nail down what may be causing this. Anone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks folks *Smile

:)

ohante, Dec 19, 2017
  2. Bvanepps Win User

Can't see all my disk volumes in Win10 File Explorer

I am running a Dual Boot Win7 Win10 PC. While I was running the preview build of Win10 I could see and access all volumes on the installed hard drive. The Win7 partition would be mounted as another drive.

Since upgrading to the released version of Win10 pro I can only see the installed Win10 partition. How can I get back the functionality that was in the preview build?

Bvanepps, Dec 19, 2017
  3. dahas Win User
    WIN10 HOMEGROUP not accessible by WIN7 PCs

Hello,

I cannot connect my WIN 7(home) PCs (3 of them) to a homegoup created on a new Windows 10 (home) computer.

The WIN 7 PC see each other without any issue.

Here’s how I proceeded:

• Leave all homegroups on the WIN7 PCs
    • Create a new homegroup on the WIN10 pc with the same group
    • The WIN7 PCs see the new homegroup
    • Click on join and enter password
    • After some time I get a message that connection was not possible

I’ve also tried to create the homegroup on a WIN7 pc. The WIN10 pc can see and accept to join but the shares are not visible.

Running WIN 10 1709 HOME

dahas, Dec 19, 2017
  4. Win7 PC not seeing online Win10 PC after boot

try to disable the power safe feautes for the network cards

Techjourney, Dec 19, 2017
  5. ohante Win User
    I think you're referring to the "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" option in the Power Management tab for the network adapter listed in Device Manager for the Windows 10 system. I'll try it. But I have a 2nd Windows 10 PC on the network, and if it's running when I boot the Win7 system, that Win10 system is visible to Win7. And the power saving option for that Win10'a network card isn't disabled.

ohante, Dec 19, 2017
  6. ohante Win User
    Well this is really odd... I was rebooting the Win10 system before changing that power saving option, and Windows installed some updates. After it booted, I booted the Win7 system and found the Win10 PC was visible. So I connected Win10 via wifi and tested again. Win7 still saw Win10 when it booted. I also have a USB Gigabit adapter on Win10. I connected via that and retested. The Win7 PC still saw Win10 fine when it booted. Hmmm... Will have to live with this for a while and see if the update has permanently fixed things somehow.

ohante, Dec 19, 2017
  7. Glad it is working for you now.

Techjourney, Dec 19, 2017
  8. ohante Win User

Well this morning the problem was back. I'd left the Win10 system running and connected via the USB Gigabit adapter overnight. I'm guessing it's a problem with the Windows network adapter & USB drivers.

I shut both systems down. Connected Win10 via the standard ethernet cable and booted it. Then when I booted Win7, the Win10 system showed up in network connections. Will do some more testing and check back to see if anyone has any ideas here.

ohante, Dec 20, 2017
  9. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey ohante,
    What vers of Win10 are you running? (winkey + r and type winver).

Eagle51, Dec 20, 2017
  10. ohante Win User
    It just updated to the latest rollup last week. So it's at v1709 build 16299.125 now Eagle

ohante, Dec 20, 2017
  11. Eagle51 Win User
    On the Win10 PC check if any of Networking stuff got reset.
    1. PC is still Discoverable
    2. Network Profile is still set to Private
    3. Network & Sharing Center settings is still set correctly
    4. 3rd Party Firewall (if you use one)

FYI ... This might be a SMBv1 issue.
    Win10 1709 / SMBv1 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709
    SMB Check / Enable / Disable - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...in-windows-and

Eagle51, Dec 20, 2017
  12. ohante Win User
    Hmm... I didn't have the problem this morning

Yes... Everything looks unchanged in there Eagle. I'm using Window's firewall and not a 3rd party firewall. I notice that Windows 10 has ditched the designation "Network & Sharing Center" for simply "Network and Internet" and its interface GUI matches the that of the rest of the new 10 settings.

Not being familiar with that I did google information on it, but I'm still a bit fuzzy on it & how to check if it's causing me problems. This Github page SMBv1 is disabled in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update · Issue #382 · docksal/docksal directed me to the "Windows Features" settings where I see SMB 1.0/CIFS Client disabled:

[X] SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal
    [ ] SMB 1.0/CIFS Client
    [X] SMB 1.0/CIFS Server
    As the problem didn't surface overnight I'll wait to do further testing at this point. I do have a ffmpeg task set to run overnight that I know sometimes causes problems with the power profile where the the screen doesn't turn off after the time interval set. Not sure if that may be involved here.

ohante, Dec 21, 2017
  13. Eagle51 Win User

Hey ohante ... this is just an FYI and what I did ...

I got tired of the Network Discovery / Master Browser issue that started in Win10 1703. So I made my netgear WNDR4000 the Master Browser by using a USB HDD and setting up the USB File Sharing (ReadyShare). It's only 500 gig, but I use it for backups, etc. You can use a USB Stick if you want (you don't have to use it for backups or file sharing), just for setting up the ReadyShare.

Please note that the older netgear routers (like yours and mine) use SMBv1 (server), so you must have the SMBv1 Client running on ALL PCs. So understand that SMBv1 is deprecated, if you decide to do the following. See more info - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

All of the following can be undone fairly easy, but if you're not comfortable doing all the following ... then DON'T *Smile

1. Setup up your netgear router USB File Sharing (ReadyShare)
    a. Format the USB Stick as FAT32 (some of the older netgear routers don't like NTFS for ReadyShare, but you can try NTFS if you want)
    b. Create a folder (ex. ShareFolder)
    c. Connect the USB Stick to the routers USB Port
    d. Login into the routers admin and setup the USB File Sharing (ReadyShare)

On each PC do the following...

2. Check and make sure SMBv1 is installed by going to Control Panel > Program and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off > SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support

SMB 1.0/CIFS Client > Checked
    SMB 1.0/CIFS Server > Checked
    Note: Win10 1709 has SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal (You can uncheck it or go to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > SMB and disable the tasks it adds)
    Note: If you change anything, you'll have to restart PC and pick up at step 3.

3. Open Powershell as Admin and run the following commands...

Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $false
    Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $true
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto
    sc.exe config browser start= demand

Note: What we're doing is making sure that on the PCs...

a. SMBv1 Server is Disable (router will be the SMBv1 Server)
    b. SMBv2 Server is Enabled
    c. Setting lanmanworkstation to depend on SMBv2
    d. Setting SMBv1 / SMBv2 Services to auto start
    e. Setting Computer Browser Service to demand start

4. Open Regedit and navigate the following key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters
    MaintainServerList = No

Note: The default setting is Auto (valid values are Auto,Yes,No).
    Note: We don't want the PCs trying to be the Master Browser anymore, since the router is assuming that role. That's why we set the browser service startup to demand and maintainserverlist to no.

5. Restart PC

Eagle51, Dec 21, 2017
  14. ohante Win User
    Wow... Those instructions could be incredibly useful at some point Eagle. Thanks for spelling the procedure all out so well. For now though things seem to have stabilized. I haven't been able to run any tests that have duplicated the issue again. And nothing seems to be happening overnight to cause it again in the past couple of days. So I still have no idea what pesky gremlins were causing this. Will be posting back if the issue starts being a pita again. *Eek *Smile

ohante, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win7 PC not seeing online Win10 PC after boot - Similar Threads - Win7 seeing online

2. Win10 PC is booting into Win7 and crashing on startup screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 PC is booting into Win7 and crashing on startup screen: submitted by /u/Bamboo6 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ebi2bd/win10_pc_is_booting_into_win7_and_crashing_on/
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. after the win7 to win10

after the win7 to win10: I see where everyone is talking about the oldwindows.folder, I don't have or have never seen it but I do have this "windowss7_os(C:)" that is part of my index under this pc. I had for the longest time 2 document folders. I did a search for the oldwindows.folder and the...
  5. can't log in to win7 pc with win10 after 10130 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't log in to win7 pc with win10 after 10130 update: my google-fu has google-fummed, so I'm counting on the brain trust here for direction. I have a five pc home network. the main pc is win10/10130. the other pc's are all win7, but a mix of home and pro. prior to updating win10 to 10130 (I was on 10074), I was able to...
  6. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  7. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  8. Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10

Dual Boot on Win7 after issues with win10: hi, I am new on this forum, but not new with windows or OS setup. I was running win 7 (64bit) pleasantly but decided to install Win10, did all the needed stuff for getting dual boot setup. Win10 booted fine, when selected from dual boot menu, but I have many issues on...
  9. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010
  10. Will Win7 on my PC after I ugraded tp Win10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will Win7 on my PC after I ugraded tp Win10?: I created a backup image of Win7 before I went to Win10 and If decided to go back to Win7, would it still it work ? It has been about 2 months since I upgraded Thanks *Smile 56514