Windows 10: Win7 to Win10 upgrade without service pack 1

Discus and support Win7 to Win10 upgrade without service pack 1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to help my father upgrade his computer from win7 to win10, but service pack 1 in windows update keeps failing. I tried downloading and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pmennen, May 17, 2016.

1. pmennen Win User

Win7 to Win10 upgrade without service pack 1

I'm trying to help my father upgrade his computer from win7 to win10, but service pack 1 in windows update keeps failing. I tried downloading and running the separate application for installing the service pack, but that fails as well. I even found another microsoft application that claims that it can prepare your system to accept the service pack 1, but that fails as well. (Despite all this, windows runs normally in all other respects that I have noticed). So it looks like updating to windows 10 using windows update is not going to happen.

My plan now is to use the media creation tool to download the .iso, burn that to a disk, and boot to it. Will that allow me to install windows 10, or is it still going to insist that I need service pack 1?

If that won't work, are there any other methods I could use?

Thanks
    ~Paul

:)

pmennen, May 17, 2016
  2. AireBrain Win User

Can't upgrade to Win10 because of failure to recognise new grahic card

The Win10 upgrade, from Win7, insists on telling me I still have my old, incompatible, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 connected.

I have replaced it with what Piriform Speccy recognises as an NVIDIA GeForce GT 520; which until a few hours ago was running Win10 on one of my other machines, so must be compatible. The latest drivers from NVIDIA have been installed.

I'm running Win7 HomePremium 64 bit Service Pack 1 with an AMD PhenomII x6 and 16Gb of DDR3 ram.

Has anyone any idea how I might force the upgrade app to recognise the incompatible 6800 is no longer there but the compatible GT520 is?

Thanks in advance for any help.

AireBrain, May 17, 2016
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    down load of windows 10

Hi,

I would like to inform you that in-order to upgrade to Windows 10, you should be running
    Windows 7 Service pack 1 or Windows 8.1 operating system.

If your operating system is without service pack 1, I suggest you to first install service pack 1 on your Windows 7 machine and then try to upgrade to Windows 10.

Refer to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, May 17, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, May 17, 2016
  5. pmennen Win User
    pmennen, May 17, 2016
  6. pmennen Win User
    Ok ... I guess I'm still somewhat confused. I've now copied the windows 10 iso file to a usb stick using Rufus. On booting to it and selecting windows 10 home I see the option for an upgrade vs. a clean install. Using this iso, do I have to do the clean install? Actually what we wanted was to upgrade to windows 10 with the programs we already have installed under win7. For this option is says to remove the installation media, and reboot the computer, and then re-insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. It is not clear exactly what it wants me to do, but I rebooted normally as it said, reinserted the USB stick and clicked on "setup" on the USB stick. It started the win10 installation procedure but then said "we are having trouble determining if your computer can be upgraded to windows 10" (Is this because of the old service pack 1 missing problem?) Then all of the sudden it says that it is now downloading windows 10 (slowly) I don't know why it is downloading windows 10 if I already have it on the USB stick.

Do I have to punt and just do a clean install of windows 10? That will be painful since we have many programs to reinstall, but if that is the only way I perhaps we will have to. I have already spent many hours and some quite heroic efforts to install service pack 1, but evidently it is very picky about systems that it will do this on. I simply can't get it to install.

pmennen, May 20, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Boot into Windows 7. Insert the USB flash drive like you were going to copy files to or from it. Run setup.exe from the flash drive from inside Windows 7. Do not boot from the USB flash drive.

NavyLCDR, May 21, 2016
  8. pmennen Win User

Thanks for your reply NavyLCDR but I think you didn't quite finish reading my post. In fact I had written that I did exactly what you just told me to do (quoted). As I had mentioned, the response from setup when I did this was: "we are having trouble determining if your computer can be upgraded to windows 10".

Then it started downloading windows 10 all over again (which doesn't make sense since it is already on the USB stick) and of course that ultimately failed as well. So I'm trying to figure out what options I have left for installing windows 10.

Thanks
    ~Paul

pmennen, May 21, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Sorry, you are correct. Whatever issue was giving you problems installing Windows 7 SP1 is probably interfering with the Windows 10 upgrade too.

Maybe try an in place repair install of Windows 7?

NavyLCDR, May 21, 2016
  10. pmennen Win User
    From what I have read, one needs a retail windows 7 product key to do that. However this is an OEM windows 7 installation (from Gateway), so I do not believe that option is open to me.

~Paul

pmennen, May 21, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you have a COA sticker with a product key printed on it, you can do a repair install. Here is a procedure where you can obtain Windows 7 ISO files to make an installation USB flash drive/DVD from:

Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10 ISO Official Direct Download Links from Microsoft Tech Bench - Tech Journey

You do an in place repair install the same way you do an upgrade - insert the DVD/USB flash drive with the operating system running and run setup.exe from it (it's just this time it is the same OS "upgrading" itself).

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win7 to Win10 upgrade without service pack 1 - Similar Threads - Win7 Win10 upgrade

2. Win7 to win10 upgrade without boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to win10 upgrade without boot: Hi all, my desktop that was running windows 7 recently died due to CPU overheating so I upgraded the mobo, cpu and ram. I put together new parts and it posts fine but says no boot drive detected and so won’t load windows 7. Is there any way I can trick it into launching...
  3. Win7 to win10 upgrade without boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to win10 upgrade without boot: Hi all, my desktop that was running windows 7 recently died due to CPU overheating so I upgraded the mobo, cpu and ram. I put together new parts and it posts fine but says no boot drive detected and so won’t load windows 7. Is there any way I can trick it into launching...
  4. Win7 to win10 upgrade without boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  6. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  7. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  8. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  9. Migrated Win7 to SSD will not upgrade to Win10

Migrated Win7 to SSD will not upgrade to Win10: Using an Asus CM8730 desktop with Win7. Purchased a Samsung Evo 850 SSD and used Samsung Migration software to move Win7 to the SSD from the HD that came from the computer. All went well, the computer boots very fast from the SSD. After about a month of use I decided to...
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716