Windows 10: Win7 Ultimate and Win 8 Pro Disks?

Discus and support Win7 Ultimate and Win 8 Pro Disks? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 2 Retail disks and one PC. Normally run Win7 and Win8 Pro on separate SSD's Win7 is ran like 99.9% of the time .*Think From what I read,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamlost, May 19, 2016.

1. iamlost Win User

Win7 Ultimate and Win 8 Pro Disks?

I have 2 Retail disks and one PC. Normally run Win7 and Win8 Pro on separate SSD's
    Win7 is ran like 99.9% of the time .*Think

From what I read, you can use these CD's on other systems if my motherboard goes bad or I build another system

If I upgrade to Win10 from Win8 Pro and later on from Win7, will both product keys be active ?

Thanks

:)

iamlost, May 19, 2016

2. Win7 sp1 Ultimate and Win8.1 Pro Question ?

I have 2 copies Win7 and 8 and both can upgrade to Win10.

I only have one PC

I have Win 7 and 8 on separate SSD drives and the Win7 is my main one

If I run the update on my Win8.1 pro first to see how it works,

will I be able to run the Win7 update later on using a SSD that contains Win7 Sp1 Ultimate

Got both copes from Microsoft, not OEM

Thanks

Gary

lost-in-space, May 19, 2016
  3. WIN10 HOME OEM UPGRADE TO WIN 10 PRO

dears, I have bought a new PC coming with an OEM WIN 10 home to replace a crashed PC running on WIN 7 ULTIMATE. can I upgrade the new WIN10 HOME to WIN10 PRO using the WIN7 ULTIMATE license key? thanks.

TonyTongKC, May 19, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

RE : From what I read, you can use these CD's on other systems if my motherboard goes bad or I build another system

You must uninstall the Win 7 or Win 8 from the computer FIRST, before you can use the disk(s) for another computer.
    The rule is : 1 key, 1 install.

RE : If I upgrade to Win10 from Win8 Pro and later on from Win7, will both product keys be active ?

Your Win 7 and Win 8 product keys are tied to the Windows 10 installed. You can NOT use the keys for another computers.

davidhk, May 20, 2016
  5. iamlost Win User
    I found this several places. This is from Microsoft

What happens if I change my motherboard?
    As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

iamlost, May 20, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    A motherboard is essentially the computer.
    New motherboard = new computer.
    While a retail license is transferrable, it has to be uninstalled from one computer first before it can be used to another computer.
    Failing that, you will have to buy a new valid product key to install to the new mobo.
    That's my understanding.

Why don't you wait a bit for others to fill in the answer.

davidhk, May 20, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    I had read "stories" about user having a dead mobo, went ahead and bought a new mobo and managed to "sweet-talk" MS into issuing a new product key.
    If true, it could only be exception to the case.
    I wouldn't count on it.

davidhk, May 20, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Absolutely false information. Nothing happens to the Windows 7 or 8/8.1 product keys after an upgrade to Windows 10. The same rule applies as if you never upgraded - uninstall the Windows 10 on the old computer and use the Windows 7 or 8/8.1 product key on the new computer. 1 product key - 1 Windows install - and it does not matter if the Windows install is the original Windows 7 or the Windows 10 that resulted from the upgrade.

Right from Microsoft:
    Recovery options in Windows 10 - Windows Help

NavyLCDR, May 20, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Please read my reply again.

The OP's questions is :
    If I upgrade to Win10 from Win8 Pro and later on from Win7, will both product keys be active ?

I said the keys are tied to Windows 10 installed and the keys cannot be used on another computer.

The OP did not ask................ what if I uninstall Windows 10.
    The OP did not ask................ can I use the Win 7 or Win 8 Pro key to reinstall Win 7 or Win 8 Pro.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win7 Ultimate and Win 8 Pro Disks? - Similar Threads - Win7 Ultimate Pro

2. Disk Crash Win7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Crash Win7: Windows 7 disk crash. No operating system backup, no system disk Win7 installed by OEM. How can I re-install windows 7 on a new disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-crash-win7/2cf47c90-865f-4527-981e-25fa739121ee
  3. Disk Crash Win7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Crash Win7: Windows 7 disk crash. No operating system backup, no system disk Win7 installed by OEM. How can I re-install windows 7 on a new disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-crash-win7/2cf47c90-865f-4527-981e-25fa739121ee
  4. Win7 Ultimate upgrade to Win10 Pro hangs up on "Working on Updates30%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 Ultimate upgrade to Win10 Pro hangs up on "Working on Updates30%: I have a desktop running Win7 Ultimate w/SP1. I have tried at least 5 times to run the upgrade to Win 10 using the Media Cr3ation Tool and downloading Win10 then running the upgrade. It does the entire process through the reboot and starting to work on updates. It always...
  5. Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro Upgrade stuck

Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro Upgrade stuck: Hi - Trying to update Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro - using a full retail USB version of Win 10. Follow the instructions to boot from USB - typed in the Windows Key supplied - Chose the Upgrade keeping exisiting files option. Then get a message stating that update cannot be...
  6. Windows Upgrade from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 causes 0x8007001F – 0x300

Windows Upgrade from Win7 Ultimate to Win 10 causes 0x8007001F – 0x300: After successful update on 3 notebooks I am trying to update Windows 10 on a Desktop using the Update Assistant and ran into this error below: 0x8007001F – 0x300D The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation. My configuration:...
  7. Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro bag HD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro bag HD: Hello, Team, I have HDD failing with my Win 7 Pro. Downloaded and installed Win 10 Pro on new HDD. How to activate new Win 10 Pro or move Windows activation to new HD? Thanks....
  8. networking a win 10 home to win7 pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    networking a win 10 home to win7 pro: "You bo not have permission to access" when I try to open a floder on the win 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/networking-a-win-10-home-to-win7-pro/515d64ae-2e9c-48f9-b0bd-b53a264633dd
  9. win 10 to win7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win 10 to win7: I downloaded win10, didn't care for it and went back to 7. Now my wifi doesn't work, laptop shows that it's connected; but it wont connect to any web page. 13264
  10. Win 8 Home OEM to 10 Pro.. via 7 Pro OEM disk?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 8 Home OEM to 10 Pro.. via 7 Pro OEM disk?: I've ordered a refurbished Asus laptop that has Win 8 Home preinstalled. I want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro. What'd be the ideal/doable path to do that, considering... I have Win 7 Pro OEM disc.. I don't have any Win 10 discs. Can I download and do clean install Win 10 Pro...