Windows 10: Wincows 10 Creators Update Personal Folder Bug

Discus and support Wincows 10 Creators Update Personal Folder Bug in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all! Well... I just went straight to heaven and decided to buy a new faster HDD for my laptop, and instead of cloning the old one, I just went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FerchogtX, Sep 23, 2017.

1. FerchogtX Win User

Wincows 10 Creators Update Personal Folder Bug

Hey all!

Well... I just went straight to heaven and decided to buy a new faster HDD for my laptop, and instead of cloning the old one, I just went the clean install route, this time I installed Windows 10 1703 build as the only one software that exhibited bugs was updated by the authors, so all is fine and smooth. I reinstalled all my stuff and moved all my files, windows works like a charm.

Now, while I'm adoring this version and the new bunch of options and customization stuff, there is a thing that is bugging me, while is little, still is weird... and it is... the Personal Folder button in Start Menu.

Basically, in older versions of windows, this button redirected to the "shell" version of this folder, instead of the "real one", and of course, even if you decided to move folders like "Documents" or "Videos" to another partition, the "symlinks" for them were still present and you could access them easily.

Now... seems 1703 has this bug where it instead redirects to the actual users folder, and, as expected, none of the moved folders are there anymore, so I had to create shortcuts for them. Of course, this makes a mess if you happen to acess the Personal Folder from desktop or the Com Surrogate places, because I got "duplicates" of this folders, which is a mess (while one is the symlink, and the other is the shortcut).

I'll attach pictures of this bug... if anyone knows how can I fix the shortcut that start menu has to make it work as intended, I'll be thankful.

Thank in advance ^^

I'm updated with the latest patches (.608 I think), but this happened since the very beggining

Wincows 10 Creators Update Personal Folder Bug [​IMG]

:)

FerchogtX, Sep 23, 2017

2. GENERIC/TEXT ONLY PRINTER DRIVER FOR WINDOWS 10

Does anyone know when (or if) Microsoft will update the Genera/Text Only printer driver to work with Wincows 10?

ROGERHEIDINGER, Sep 23, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Creators Update Changing Inodes and Creation Time on Folders

Hi All,

I'm working on an app that cares about inodes and various metadata. A few customers have reported bugs and in investigation I'm seeing that the inode and created date for at least 1 folder are different after the update to Win 10 Creators. After a little
    bit of Googling I found a similar report (Google Groupes) against Google Drive, another app that cares about iNodes.

Any idea what is causing this? Is this a bug in the Win 10 Creators Update? It seems like a bug if folder/file inodes are changing.

BoxieMcSquarenstuff, Sep 23, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Sep 23, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    No bug. You have the Shortcuts and the real folders that are Symbolically linked. It just depends on if you access them through File Explorer or in the Menu for the User folder, which takes you to the first one. If you use Start10 you will see exactly how it was with 7.

bro67, Sep 23, 2017
  6. FerchogtX Win User
    Ohhhh, OK, but then, why in 1607 when you clicked on the start menu item, it sent you directly to the second one instead of the first one with the "Missing" folders? In fact, that is how it worked on Windows 7, just like you said... any way to restore that behaviour?

FerchogtX, Sep 23, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    The changes made in 1607 was because people harped on Microsoft about wanting some of the older features back that were not broken when they did not want a tablet for a PC. No there is no way to make it look like the first gen of Windows 10. There are no missing folders, other than you are looking at in the Start Menu what someone may see in a Touch screen, in the File Explorer you are seeing what it has looked like when you make changes to show hidden folders. If you want the second way, use either Classic Shell or Start10. If you always want it the first way, go into the Files and Folders in Control Panel and hide hidden folders. It may change again in the next push, who knows.

bro67, Sep 23, 2017
  8. FerchogtX Win User

Herm... Now I'm confused, I fail to see where hidden folders match in this equation. Maybe I'm the one not being clear, here I come explain myself:

Say you enable the personal folder icon in desktop, then you access that, what you get? All your personal folders listed, no one is missing. In short, the shell folder itself (which is supposed to be the intended behaviour, so you can easily access your personal folders, even if they are on another location rather than C:\Users\[Your profile] folder).

Now, Enable the personal folder item in the left item list in start menu, either tablet mode or not, click it, it sends you right to the real path of your user folder, instead of opening the shell folder, of course, if you move your personal folders to another location, like I do, you notice a tremendous lack of personal folders.

This happens when you change the location of your personal folders, like Documents, Videos, etc... (Like, moving C:\Users\Documents to D:\Documents, or the like) Explorer works just fine with shell commands (for example shell:::{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}, this opens the correct shell folder), and seems the viariables are working like other versions, is just the start menu item that seems bugged for whatever reason.

I've tried looking for a reg entry or something, but I had no luck, even modifying the shortcut on Start Menu Places folder, but that thing seems deprecated as it does nothing... my last bet was the tiledata layer location, but seems that is also "deprecated" in CU according to some readings in google... So now I'm clueless on where to find any info about this, and possibly correcting it.

By now, my best workarround was to enable the Personal Folder on desktop and removing the item from start menu so I can access the shell folder instead of the real path.

I really hope there can be a fix for this...

Thanks in advance *Biggrin

FerchogtX, Sep 23, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Not even going to try and read your thesis. If you believe that there is a bug, file a bug report. Everyone else like myself do not see this as an issue, since it does not affect us from using the OS.

bro67, Sep 23, 2017
  10. FerchogtX Win User
    Ooook... well, thanks, sorry to annoy you XD

Cya

FerchogtX, Sep 23, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    You did not annoy me. I just do not read the long posts, because I understood what you were saying in the beginning. I just went to my Windows 10 desktop to do updates. Because I run Start10 on it, it is coded to open Explorer and will show even hidden files because of how I have the Folder and file options set. When you do not have the Gui tools like Classic Shell and Start10 installed, you get two different versions of the folder because of how Microsoft made that to be like a Tablet interface.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Wincows 10 Creators Update Personal Folder Bug - Similar Threads - Wincows Creators Update

2. updating wincows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    updating wincows: just got a brand new toshiba external drive and it is not showing up on my cpu...it is plugged in ...but not showing. i am exhausted. can someone please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-wincows/aff1e491-1e5a-4d43-9c84-1f7d4b08a428
  3. Microsoft acknowledges Creators Update game bugs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft acknowledges Creators Update game bugs.: https://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming...g-game-bugs/1/ https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-fi...rmance-issues/ Honestly thinking of getting Windows 7 now 93365
  4. Another Creators Update Failed Person

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Another Creators Update Failed Person: I tried using creators update through windows update assistant= FAIL a) can't remember what happened I tried updating using media creation tool on USB= FAIL a) It installs to 100% says computer will restart but then it exits program and says "Windows Installation Failed"...
  5. USB3 bug in Fall Creator's Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB3 bug in Fall Creator's Update: I have the problem described in http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-...rs-update.html on both a desktop and laptop. I tried all the fixes it describes and none of them work. Is anyone aware of a fix that does work? 96376
  6. Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Falls Creators Update 1709 Bug in Start Items: This got to be a bug in version 1709 because despite installing all updates and rebooting many times, after I Unpin From Start from the items from the Start Menu Items list, they reappear after I start up again. Microsoft again, messed up big time on this... See...
  7. Bugs in Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Bugs in Creators Update: I noticed some things wrong after I downloaded the Creators Update. 1. The date and time is missing on the Task bar. Only one number of the time and the colon is showing. 2. When I right click on the Task bar, there is no button to adjust time and date. 3. Task bar...
  8. Creators update and extra folders.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creators update and extra folders.: As I did not get any indication of update in windows update section, I updated from Download Windows 10 . Every thing went ok. I tried cleaning extra folders and system with following commands. %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35...
  9. Behind-the-scenes of the Windows 10 Creators Update Bug Bash

in Windows 10 News
    Behind-the-scenes of the Windows 10 Creators Update Bug Bash: Hi! My name is Anita George, and I am the leader of the two Bug Bashes for the Windows 10 Creators Update (the one in November 2016 and the one we just finished up in Feb). For this most recent Bug Bash, Windows Insiders completed approximately 108,900 Quests and submitted or...
  10. Bug with shortcut tiles since Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Bug with shortcut tiles since Fall Creators Update: Hello, Since the Fall Creators Update I have noticed that after uninstalling any software, the corresponding shortcut tiles in the Start Menu would still stay there but with a weird name title and without an icon. This happens when I uninstall any Windows Store apps as...