Windows 10: Window 10 Broke My Computer

Discus and support Window 10 Broke My Computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; *sarc*sarcEarlier today, Sept. 24, 2016, Microsoft pushed an apparently routine update on my laptop when I was putting it in "sleep" mode. It was one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CarolKopp, Sep 24, 2016.

1. CarolKopp Win User

Window 10 Broke My Computer

*sarc*sarcEarlier today, Sept. 24, 2016, Microsoft pushed an apparently routine update on my laptop when I was putting it in "sleep" mode. It was one of those "This Will Take A While" updates. Since then, my laptop has refused to even start. It is permanently stuck in startup mode. The laptop is a fairly recent Dell, came with Windows 8. I installed Windows 10 some months ago and have regretted it ever since as it causes the laptop to crash frequently. Nevertheless, it is now totally utterly unusable. Got any suggestions? (I am currently using an old Windows 7 that I dug out of a drawer.)

:)

CarolKopp, Sep 24, 2016

2. Windows 10 broke my computer

I downloaded, installed, and used windows 10. I tried to shut it down and it froze on the shutdown screen. Now it won't boot. The fans, cpu all of it is running as far as I can tell but no image on the display. It doesn't respond to boot or re installation
    disks and I have tried literally EVERYTHING I have been waiting to get in contact with Microsoft support for four hours with no avail, I need help.

DarienHansen, Sep 24, 2016
  3. RysBorowy Win User
    Windows 10 broke my computer

Hello

I am not clear what do you mean by Media Creation Tool? I had genuine Windows 8, tried to upgrade and my laptop died. How can I bring it back to life? Can I get a CD or download Windows 10 on a USB to repair the comp? Many thanks.

RysBorowy, Sep 24, 2016
  4. seattle Win User

Restore to an earlier date. Start with pressing cntl alt delete while you are looking at that blue screen.

seattle, Sep 24, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    Using Windows Restore is probably a good idea, as suggested by "seattle".

One way to get into it reliably is to make a bootable USB installation drive.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-10.7452/

(You can use it for other things than installing Windows.)

Are you still under support from Dell? I have no idea how good their support is these days. I expect that they are ill-trained script readers, but it's possible that they are better than that.

bobkn, Sep 24, 2016
  6. CarolKopp Win User
    This does not work. The blue screen does not appear. The Windows logo appears on a black background, followed by the Dell logo on a black screen, followed by a black screen. Then this process repeats endlessly. Ctl-alt-del does nothing.

CarolKopp, Sep 24, 2016
  7. I had the same problem after an update ran. Turns out the culprit was Razer installing some software alongside the WIndows 10 upgrade that broke my display adapter. I was able to disable it in safe mode and get my display back so I could fix the other multiple issues this upgrade caused. If you can see the monitor at the start screen you can enter safe mode by holding the shift key while clicking on the power icon and hitting restart. It will restart to a screen with various options including boot into safe mode and safe mode with networking. If you can't get as far as the start screen you can try the F8 os shift+F8 trick during restart but no guarantees that will work. Your best bet is to use your working computer to create a bootable USB as bobkn suggested and use that to repair windows.

kbennett65, Sep 24, 2016
  8. Rise Win User

What did you get rid of? I'm having the same exact issue now and am currently without any gfx drivers.

9. CarolKopp Win User
    I am rapidly despairing of any possibility of repairing my laptop. I went out and bought a USB drive, and can't download Windows 10 to it. Microsoft says it can't "FIND" the flash drive, although why is a mystery to me. I have tried every port on this old PC, and have rebooted numerous times with no success. I cannot get into "safe" mode on the busted laptop. I cannot do anything with the busted laptop, and it has my whole freaking life on it!

CarolKopp, Sep 25, 2016
  10. Razer Firefly and Razer Synapse were the culprits for me. It seems if you have any Razer products the software and drivers install with Windows. There is no way to prevent it that I can find as Windows treats it like an important update.
    I wasted hours figuring it out which makes me more than a little mad as the only Razer product I have is a mouse pad that certainly doesn't need any software or drivers

kbennett65, Sep 25, 2016
  11. bobkn Win User
    On the old desktop, do the USB ports show in the Device Manager control panel? Did you try the USB ports in the I/O panel in the back of the machine? Those are unlikely to be disconnected from the motherboard.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's time to STOP. Get knowledgeable help. I hope that it's readily available. (Perhaps not BestBuy's "Geek Squad". They might fix it by wiping your HD and re-installing Windows.)

bobkn, Sep 25, 2016
  12. CarolKopp Win User
    Yes, the device does show up in the Control Panel on the old laptop thanks for asking. I was even able to (accidentally) copy the Media Creation Tool to the device, which does me no good whatsoever. The software download process ends abruptly every time with the message that the USB device can't be found, and suggests I refresh the list, which I do, which doesn't work.

CarolKopp, Sep 25, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

You could download the iso and burn it to a DVD, if you can use that.
    Otherwise, use Rufus
    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    to create a bootable flash drive from the iso - of course, that's assuming you can see the flash drive from Windows in the usual way.

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
  14. CarolKopp Win User
    I am going to try this but I am way in over my head here.

CarolKopp, Sep 25, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    It's easier if you use a DVD and burn the iso to it in the usual way.

I don't think you've actually stated if your laptop has a DVD drive or not... I'm assuming you just chose to use a (big enough) flash drive- 3Gb or larger.

f you use the media creation tool to create the bootable USB flash drive, that should work on a functional PC.

Once you have a bootable medium, you will probably need to change a setting in your ('broken') laptop's BIOS to boot from it.

dalchina, Sep 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Window 10 Broke My Computer - Similar Threads - Window Broke Computer

2. Windows 11 broke my computer -_-

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 broke my computer -_-: Hey I would like to formally thank you for destroying my 3000$ brand new computer with the Windows 11 updates 6 months old I have reinstalled windows so many times these last 2 months with error after error. Why release such trash, been a windows fan since my first computer...
  3. Windows 10 update broke my computer!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 update broke my computer!: Microsoft Windows pushed an update to version 2004 and forced me to reboot. I can no longer access my data drive E: with all my personal data files. I need to be put in touch with someone who can help fix what Microsoft broke! Microsoft no longer accepts phone calls....
  4. Windows 10 updates broke my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 updates broke my computer: I am both a user of Linux & Windows. I have Linux installed for mainly programming on my laptop. On my desktop which is, 16GB RAM with NVIDIA GTX 1050, I use my desktop for personal reasons, such filing taxes & reading emails. I have Kaspersky Security Cloud (paid) installed...
  5. Windows 10 Update broke my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update broke my computer: Only way to fix computer was to fix was to get the data retrieved, wipe the drive and reload windows. Restore points, uninstalling update were completely useless. How to I get microsoft to compensate me for the repairs?...
  6. Windows 10 update broke my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update broke my computer: When trying to update my laptop it now says "Undoing changes made to your pc" and keeps going around again and again and I cant get into any part of my computer anymore. How do i stop this??...
  7. Windows reset broke my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows reset broke my computer: Ok so i have a Ibuypower - BB962 - I7 - 2070 PC and i started to have some problems after a Windows 10 update. Since my PC was acting strange and having problems I decided to do a full reset. I did a reset and i kept my files. But when I did the reset the percentage stopped...
  8. Windows 10 update broke my computer

Windows 10 update broke my computer: Windows installed an update that I kept prolonging and now my laptop is broken. First after tge update was installed, my laptop kept rebooting into a configuring windows screen for about 2 hrs. I decided to reboot it because i have college work that needs to be done. It went...
  9. Windows 10 update broke my computer

Windows 10 update broke my computer: I have Asus ROG desktop with Windows 10 on it. After the most recent update, my computer hasn't been normal. The icons on the desktop do not have names and only the mouse is active. I am able to open settings but cannot perform any tasks. I have tried to restore, reset, and...
  10. Windows 10 update broke my computer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 update broke my computer.: So, I'll go on record saying that Windows 10 is the absolute worst OS ever released by Microsoft. It just did a self-update and broke my computer. I can no longer log in. I get a black screen with a mouse curser. It's one step down from earlier, where I still got to the...