Windows 10: Window 10 could not access Other Window 10 shared drives, - Solved

Discus and support Window 10 could not access Other Window 10 shared drives, - Solved in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Windows 10 Home upgraded from Windows 8.1 could not see other Windows 10 Machines on my home network from Windows Explorer. It could see Windows 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Richard P, May 21, 2016.

1. Richard P Win User

Window 10 could not access Other Window 10 shared drives, - Solved

My Windows 10 Home upgraded from Windows 8.1 could not see other Windows 10 Machines on my home network from Windows Explorer. It could see Windows 7 machines but not Windows 10. I tried various suggestion from this forum and others with no success.

While researching a problem with "Browser" service (running but with error message - Failed to read description ), a solution was to turn on a Windows feature "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support". After reboot, Suprise!! My computer now sees all other computers on the network, "Browser" service is deleted, and "Computer Browser" service was created.

My surmize is that "SMB" was an option in Windows 8 but not required and not loaded. Therefore when Microsoft upgraded my machine to Windows 10 they did not load "SMB" program.

"SMB" did not exist on Windows 7.

Hope this helps somebody

:)

Richard P, May 21, 2016

2. Restore a Vista backup to Windows 10

The links provided don't seem to address the question. The first link is a sign-up for an Insider Program users forum. The second does not have anything about restoring a backup from Vista to Windows 10.

Window 10 User, May 21, 2016
  3. abbattle Win User
    Network Permissions on Windows 10

I bought a new Windows 10 computer. I could access all my other computers from the new one but, I could

not access the new computer C:\ drive from any of my other computers. Here is how I solved the problem with the new computer. After sharing the C:\ drive, click "Permissions" and check all the "Alllow" boxes. Then, click the "Security" tab. "Everyone" was
    not on the "Group or Users Names" list. So, I clicked "Edit" and typed Everyone in "Enter object names to select" box and clicked, Ok. It worked. Now all my computers can access the new one. I hope this will help you.

abbattle, May 21, 2016
  4. Window 10 could not access Other Window 10 shared drives, - Solved

Solved by Thread Starter

Slartybart, May 24, 2016
  5. sam1 Win User
    Hi Richard P

I signed up solely to say thank you so much for posting this!

I've been wracking my brains for weeks on this problem with my new - and highly mercurial - Win10 system.

And you gave me the answer and fix in 2 mins flat!

Can't thank you enough.

Sam

sam1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Window 10 could not access Other Window 10 shared drives, - Solved

1. Window 10 could not access Other Window 10 shared drives, - Solved - Similar Threads - Window access Window

2. Can't Access A Share in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Access A Share in Windows 10: I have two computers, both running Windows 10 and both with the same account info Hotmail address and password. I am able to Remote Desktop into my "server" computer using my Hotmail address and password, but am not able to access its shared folder from my "desktop" computer...
  3. Accessing shared drive on Windows 11 from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing shared drive on Windows 11 from Windows 10: This is a function that was previously working but has recently stopped. I was able to share my drives between my laptop and my desktop, same microsoft account. However recently I am no longer able to access my laptop's drive from my desktop. It has started prompting for a...
  4. Accessing shared drive on Windows 11 from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing shared drive on Windows 11 from Windows 10: This is a function that was previously working but has recently stopped. I was able to share my drives between my laptop and my desktop, same microsoft account. However recently I am no longer able to access my laptop's drive from my desktop. It has started prompting for a...
  5. Unable to access shared drive on other network computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access shared drive on other network computers: Hello, on our home network we have my computer and my wife's computer and recently we purchased a WD MyBook to act as a backup drive for the both of us. I've gotten this set up and it is currently plugged into my PC and I have set it to share to the network. However, when I...
  6. Windows cannot access Shared Folder or Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows cannot access Shared Folder or Drive in Windows 10: You may experience a Windows cannot access \\ Computer’s Name, Shared folder, or Network Drive letter error while trying to access a shared file. In this article, we are going to find reasons and fixes for this problem. Why can’t I access Shared Folder or Drive This error...
  7. Windows 10 drive sharing

Windows 10 drive sharing: I have just set up a new PC with Windows 10 Home and I want to share a resource drive with other users on my home network, but it keeps refusing the connections. I have gone to Sharing on the resource drive and the only option available is Advanced Sharing. I have set up...
  8. Cannot see or access share drives in Windows 10 anymore

Cannot see or access share drives in Windows 10 anymore: Used to be able to see and access my share drives of various computers on my private network using file manager; but not any more. Could it be the latest Windows 10 updates have something to do with it? All computers are running Windows 10 or Win 10 Pro. Please help....
  9. Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.

Cannot access Win 10 shared drive from Win 7 PC - SOLVED.: I have been fighting with this problem for about a week, but finally fixed it and for what it is worth would like to share (no pun intended) with other members. I have one Win 10 Laptop, one Win 7 Laptop and a Win 7 Desktop. My main machine is the Win 10 laptop which has...
  10. Windows 10 shared drives access

Windows 10 shared drives access: I'm in the early stages of a clean build of Windows 10 x64 on my desktop which has 11 drives that I have shared out however on two of my three laptops I cannot access some of the drives. I've tried numerous suggestions and so far none have resolved the issue. My desktop is...