Windows 10: Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question

Discus and support Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a few questions relating to the license terms for the Free Windows 10 Upgrade from 7. 1) Does the license require that Window 7 be replaced on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tweakit, Feb 7, 2016.

1. tweakit Win User

Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question

I have a few questions relating to the license terms for the Free Windows 10 Upgrade from 7.
    1) Does the license require that Window 7 be replaced on the computer with Windows 10? For example, can I create an image of my existing Win 7 system, recover it to a second hard drive and then upgrade that second HD to Win 10? This would permit access to either operating system at a time albeit requiring a switch of drives.
    2) Does the license permit a dual boot with the original Win 7 and a clean install of Windows 10?
    3) If either of these is allowed by the license terms, are there any issues with activation?
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

:)

tweakit, Feb 7, 2016
  2. Defreshed Win User

Has there been an official answer to what happens to existing OS serial when upgrading to Win 10?

So I take it this answers the question with my first option. My Win 7 will be replaced by Win 10 and will no longer be useable?

Defreshed, Feb 7, 2016
  3. If Win7 is free-upgraded to Win10, the partition backed up, then rolled back to Win7 before 29 July, will Win10 install from the backup with license at a later date?

Nope.When you upgrade, your license becomes a dual Windows 7 and 10 license so if you upgrade now before 29th and then rollback to Windows 10,you can use windows 10 for free after the free offer expires too.

Same is explained here:

Get Windows 10 for Free After July 29th,
    with a Little Prep Now

Let us know if there are any questions

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If Windows 7 and Windows 10 are on two different physical hard drives, and only one hard drive is physically connected to the computer at a time, I don't think that violates the EULA.

It violates the EULA to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 with only one license. You do not get an extra license for a second Windows with the upgrade.

I don't think you would have any issues with activation if you switched out hard drives.

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  5. tweakit Win User
    Thanks very much for clarifying this!
    One more question. If I do the traditional Free upgrade to 10 and then later want to do a clean install of 10, I would assume this is both possible and permitted by the EULA right?

tweakit, Feb 7, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, when you do the upgrade you get Windows 10 for free for the life of that device.

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    This is provided you have a retail key and not an OEM key.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

What difference would it make?

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  9. tweakit Win User
    So if I do the free upgrade to 10 and two years later, after the free upgrade offer has expired, I can still do a clean install of 10 on the same computer, correct?

tweakit, Feb 7, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes.

Windows 10 – Microsoft Windows

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  11. tweakit Win User
    Yes thanks for that clarification. Now, once i have windows 10 for free and for life on that computer, my thought is Microsoft would not be happy if I deleted the win 10 installation and restored 7 a few years later, for example by using an image. I don't see that happening, but i'd like to understand the license issues.

tweakit, Feb 7, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why not? Your Windows 7 license is just as good for that computer as it always was. You just can't use it to install two copies of Windows at the same time.

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  13. tweakit Win User

To be clear i don't know. I skimmed through the EULA and didn't see anything definitive. However, I suspect that Microsoft is giving 10 away for the reason of encouraging fast user migration to 10. If they permit users to go back to 7 at any time, then it would seem that they didn't accomplish their goal. Stated differently, I speculate that Microsoft would want to configure their free deal as a transfer (or relinquishment) of your original 7 license in return for a Win 10 license. Does this make sense or am I not looking at this correctly?

tweakit, Feb 7, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    If that was the case, then I don't think that Microsoft would put instructions on their website how to go back to Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, do you?

Going back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 - Windows Help -

Recovery options in Windows 10 - Windows Help

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  15. tweakit Win User
    Thanks much for answering my questions and for the links above which I agree make clear that the user retains the right to go back to 7. It’s not what I expected but I like it!

tweakit, Feb 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question - Similar Threads - Window Free Upgrade

2. Free upgraded PC activation and license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgraded PC activation and license: I have a old pc that I upgraded to windows 10 during free upgrade period. If I give my pc to a friend or family member, will the windows 10 license still be valid as it is digitally linked to my Microsoft account?...
  3. Find Digital License for Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Find Digital License for Windows 10 Free Upgrade: I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home had Windows 7 before in 2016, directly from Microsoft. Recently my PC started having issues with the Windows update, then this weekend I noticed an error message in Settings, saying "Windows is not activated." I ran the...
  4. Windows 10 Free Upgrade License and Audit Compliance

Windows 10 Free Upgrade License and Audit Compliance: Hi, We had upgraded Windows 7 Pre-Installed OEM (Which came with HP / Dell Workstations) to Windows 10 in the year of 2016 when Microsoft announced a pubic free upgrade. We had reloaded a couple of our internal systems in the year of 2017 due to performance issues. We had...
  5. Windows 10 License for free

Windows 10 License for free: Split from this thread. I need to know if is possible to get product key freely https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-license-for-free/87835dbc-e4ea-4bb2-afff-18a8393e43f5"
  6. Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.

Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.: I have an old machine that was originally running Windows 7 Pro(Retail) and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro through the free upgrade process. I believe I tied it to an MS Account with my email, but cannot remember. I logged onto my account from another computer and see my...
  7. Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question

Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question: To introduce myself, I am a 75 year old, grey haired wrinkly with a little computer knowledge but not too much. Please forgive me if this question seems trivial to some of you. Like many of you, I have the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 and, I intend to do it once...
  8. Free upgrade question

in Windows 10 Support
    Free upgrade question: Hi, I have been reading the free upgrade FAQ on here and stuff on other sites but still unsure about one point. Once my PC has downloaded the files for doing the free upgrade do I have to perform the upgrade within the first year since Win 10 launch or can I do it at a later...
  9. Question about upgraded license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about upgraded license: My laptop is running 10 home, upgraded from 8.1 core. I have a retail license for Windows 10 Pro. Will installing Windows 10 Pro affect my eligibility to clean install Windows 10 Home (based on my upgrade from OEM 8.1 Core) in case I want to sell my laptop and use my retail...
  10. Free Windows 10 upgrade a permanent license?

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Windows 10 upgrade a permanent license?: Is it known whether the serial of an upgraded Windows 7 or 8 will become affiliated with MS as being a Windows 10 serial, so that the license owner may reinstall Windows 10 after a format or machine-license transfer, including beyond the 1-year period for free Windows 10...