Windows 10: Window 10 upgrade -- do I get a copy?

Discus and support Window 10 upgrade -- do I get a copy? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm a windows 7 user. I have windows 7 on a CD. More than once I have had to use my windows 7 CD to fix problems. What confuses me about the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by steveeyes, Jul 6, 2016.

1. steveeyes Win User

Window 10 upgrade -- do I get a copy?

I'm a windows 7 user. I have windows 7 on a CD. More than once I have had to use my windows 7 CD to fix problems.

What confuses me about the windows 10 upgrade prompt is what happens after I upgrade and I have issues. From what I read, I won't have windows 10 on a CD or even a full copy of windows 10 on my computer after the upgrade. I'm told that the upgrade simply upgrades my windows 7 to windows 10 without providing me a full copy of windows 10. Is this true?

The fact that I won't have a full copy of windows 10 on my computer or on CD if I have an issue and need the full version of windows 10 to fix the problem, has stopped me from upgrading.

I want to take the plunge to upgrade but for the above reason I'm hesitant. Can someone fill me in on how to fix problems after the windows 10 upgrade, if you do not have a full copy of copy of windows 10 on a CD or on your computer?

Thanks

:)

steveeyes, Jul 6, 2016
  2. JimWynne Win User

Where do I get a password for Window 10?

Did you set up a Microsoft account when you upgraded to Windows 10?

JimWynne, Jul 6, 2016
  3. Where do I get a password for Window 10?

I do not have a password to enter now that I have Windows 10 loaded and cannot get into my computer to find out how to get one. I am using my wife's computer to ask this question, how do I get into my computer to get a password set up? Thank you,

WilliamM0240, Jul 6, 2016
  4. derekimo Win User

derekimo, Jul 6, 2016
  5. steveeyes Win User
    Sorry again for my ignorance. So you are saying if I use the upgrade prompt for windows 10, it will automatically download a full version of windows 10 for future use?

What about license key? If I need to reinstall windows 10 after the upgrade, do I get a separate license key with my windows 10 upgrade or do I use the license key that came with my the windows 7?

The uncertainty of upgrading to windows 10 simply scares me so I'm trying to understand as much as possible before deciding to take the plunge or not.

steveeyes, Jul 6, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    It will download full version but not in an ISO file or a way you can use for future clean installs but that ISO can be made out of it using "ESD to ISO" utility. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums

Any way you do it, you'd be able to make a bootable disk/USB to do repairs and clean installs.
    You can also download the ISO of anniversary issue later on but it will be too late for free upgrade from W7. Whatever you do, do it before July 29th because free offer expires than.
    Once installed and activated you will be able to reinstall any time.

CountMike, Jul 6, 2016
  7. derekimo Win User
    Judging by the term you use "upgrade prompt" I assume you are talking about the prompt in the taskbar?

If that is what you are talking about, then the answer is no it will just download and install, there will be no files left for you to use later as a repair option. But as I posted above, you can download an ISO anytime you want.

If you want an alternative method, steps 4, 7 and 8 of this tutorial will let you upgrade after downloading the installation file you need,

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

Then you will also have a copy to use for later repairs or reinstalls.

When you upgrade a qualifying OS it just gives you a digital entitlement and once activated on that device it is recorded by Microsoft and no product key is ever needed after that, it will just activate itself as long as you haven't changed a motherboard.

If you want to clean install instead of upgrade you can use the W7 product key to activate it, it will still show as a digital entitlement in the activation.

That's alright, it's better to ask first. *Smile I would also suggest you start by making a complete image of your system right now just to be safe.

Feel free to ask anything else, we have a lot of experts that can answer all your questions.

derekimo, Jul 6, 2016
  8. TOC
    toc Win User

Upgrade will install full version.
    If you want to have ISO file of it - just download it from Microsoft site: Windows 10
    If you need to reinstall Windows 10 you don`t need license key - after upgrade your PC data is already saved on Microsoft servers and activation is automatic based on that data. If while installing you are asked for key just skip this step and continue.

9. steveeyes Win User
    Thanks everyone for your great support and help

steveeyes, Jul 6, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User

W;ould advise to do the upgrade while it's free. You can always roll back in the first 30 days to your current 7 or use your 7 DVD but doing it before the expiration will give you permanent digital entitlement on your particular device. The downloadable ISO is updated within days of every major cumulative update so it's always current. Also, the ESD on your computer is constantly updated so theoretically you can repair from Recovery tools w/o external USB or DVD image. As always, backup your files or, better yet, image your system in case something goes wrong with the Upgrade but do it soon while it's free. Good Luck

mrgeek, Jul 6, 2016
  11. Just curious because I happened to read your thread. What happens if my motherboard goes south and I have to replace it? Will the license fail?

dlwmacgregor, Jul 6, 2016
  12. mrgeek Win User

mrgeek, Jul 6, 2016
  13. Window 10 upgrade -- do I get a copy?

dlwmacgregor, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Window 10 upgrade -- do I get a copy? - Similar Threads - Window upgrade copy

2. How do I find a copy of a printer Copy 2 in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I find a copy of a printer Copy 2 in Windows 10?: HP printer w/ wireless connection to home network. Windows 10 laptop w/ wireless connection to home network lists HP printer as Copy 2 in Devices and has trouble submitting print jobs from Office apps to the printer. If I remove the printer and add it back it shows up as Copy...
  3. How do I find a copy of a printer Copy 2 in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I find a copy of a printer Copy 2 in Windows 10?: HP printer w/ wireless connection to home network. Windows 10 laptop w/ wireless connection to home network lists HP printer as Copy 2 in Devices and has trouble submitting print jobs from Office apps to the printer. If I remove the printer and add it back it shows up as Copy...
  4. How do I find a copy of a printer Copy 2 in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Upgrading a PC do I get to keep my Windows 10 OS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading a PC do I get to keep my Windows 10 OS?: Basically I am upgrading my PC replacing most of the drives including the motherboard and CPU. Now do I need to buy another copy of windows 10 or can is there a way I can put my copy of windows 10 on this PC? I have no windows discs so I am wondering what my options are?...
  6. i have lost my windows 10 apps how do i get new copies?

i have lost my windows 10 apps how do i get new copies?: how do I find lost apps? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-lost-my-windows-10-apps-how-do-i-get-new/cfeb90b1-6613-4838-9a1b-2af1c500c417
  7. where do I need to go to get the windows 10 upgrade

where do I need to go to get the windows 10 upgrade: looking for site to download windows 10 upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-i-need-to-go-to-get-the-windows-10/3471ee18-aa03-43f8-8414-e374391a62d3
  8. How do I get a copy of Microsoft Works 9.0?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How do I get a copy of Microsoft Works 9.0?: I am looking for Microsoft Works 9.0. How do I get a copy to download on to my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-microsoft-works-90/60559088-f340-435c-a167-5db7655e28ae"
  9. Where do I get Windows 10 Pro upgrade?

Where do I get Windows 10 Pro upgrade?: Have Windows 7, don't want to have to reinstall everything, thus the upgrade need. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-i-get-windows-10-pro-upgrade/a3b34b72-eff4-43c8-a5f7-358c461a4a1c
  10. Upgrade from Windows 8.1- Do I need to buy a hard copy of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from Windows 8.1- Do I need to buy a hard copy of Windows 10?: I assumed if I wanted a hard copy of Windows 10 that I could shove in my drive and do a clean install if I ever needed to do so, I would have to pay over my hard-earned cash in a computer shop. However my mate told me yesterday that because Windows 10 was a free upgrade I...