Windows 10: Window Defender in System Tray

Discus and support Window Defender in System Tray in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have recently switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Under 7, Security Essentials appears in the System Tray but not under Windows 10. Is this the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JJG10, Aug 15, 2015.

1. JJG10 Win User

Window Defender in System Tray

I have recently switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Under 7, Security Essentials appears in the System Tray but not under Windows 10. Is this the way it is supposed to be?. I have put it in the Taskbar but miss it in the System Tray.

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Aug 15, 2015

2. WINDOWS DEFENDER IN SYSTEM TRAY

Yes, I have done that part already. However, it will only show the Defender in the system tray after I actually go to the Defender & click on it. It does not show the Defender in the system when I start up my computer right away, as the Windows Essentials
    did in Windows 7. I did not have to actually click on that to have it show in the system tray & show that it was on & working. With Defender it seems I still have to manually click on it for it to show in the system tray.

PEGGYBIEBL, Aug 15, 2015
  3. WINDOWS DEFENDER IN SYSTEM TRAY

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

We regret for the inconvenience. I suggest you to
    follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type CMD
    • Type the following 2 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• Close the CMD window
    Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we’ll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Window Defender in System Tray

There is no native way to do that. There is a third party tool, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it modifies the registry. The best way I found is to open Defender when I start my computer, and it puts the tray icon there. Hovering over it gets the status just like MSE. There also isn't a way to right click to scan a file. The best way I found is have a "To Scan" folder on my desktop, and I download, or put files in it I want to scan, and then run a custom scan with Defender, and just point to that folder. A bit of a work around for both, but I can deal with it.

Bobby Phoenix, Aug 16, 2015
  5. JJG10 Win User
    OK, Thanks Bobby. I can live with the default behavior so I won't pursue this any farther.

JJG10, Aug 16, 2015
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I also would like that Defender would mimic these MSE features.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Window Defender in System Tray

1. Window Defender in System Tray - Similar Threads - Window Defender System

2. Cannot get windows defender at startup or in systems tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get windows defender at startup or in systems tray: Windows Defender has disappeared from my hidden app tray. I also went thru all the steps to get it back at startup. The strangest thing is everything is greyed out when I go to services.msc to get it running at Startup. It is not listed in task manager either. What do I do if...
  3. Cannot get windows defender at startup or in systems tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot get windows defender at startup or in systems tray: Windows Defender has disappeared from my hidden app tray. I also went thru all the steps to get it back at startup. The strangest thing is everything is greyed out when I go to services.msc to get it running at Startup. It is not listed in task manager either. What do I do if...
  4. Cannot get windows defender at startup or in systems tray

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Window defender notification system tray icon missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Window defender notification system tray icon missing: My window defender system tray icon is missing and I can't find any option to turn it on in the startup menu or taskbar submitted by /u/qan_0801 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m39h22/window_defender_notification_system_tray_icon/
  6. Windows Defender Icon not appearing on system tray

Windows Defender Icon not appearing on system tray: I am a Windows 10 user. I uninstalled Norton AV after I received advise to do so from the Microsoft community experts. I did remove it and activated Windows Defender. But the windows defender icon is not visible in the system tray. I tried various means. I am not an IT...
  7. windows defender system tray icon is black

windows defender system tray icon is black: this what my windows defender icon looks like https://imgur.com/qX39YT9 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-system-tray-icon-is-black/98753490-bb4a-4c2f-855e-3b8d6e7c35e3"
  8. Windows Defender System Tray Icon

Windows Defender System Tray Icon: Currently, I have the Windows Defender System Tray icon with an exclamation point on it --- When I open the program to see what actions are needed, there are none to be acted upon --- So I should get the green checkmark when I restart, but still, the exclamation point is...
  9. Windows Defender Tray Icon

Windows Defender Tray Icon: Having just updated Windows to version 1709 16299.19 the Icon for Defender is no longer there. Checked notifications and defender is not even listed. In Task Manager start up there is just the word Windows and not defender ( see pic). So this new version of windows has...
  10. Windows Defender in System Tray

Windows Defender in System Tray: After the update on 9/30, I noticed that the Windows Defender icon now appears in the system tray. [img] Has this happened to everyone? What's the point of it? 24713