Windows 10: Window puts my printer in Device Manager under disk drives

Discus and support Window puts my printer in Device Manager under disk drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Well this is kinda strange, Windows keeps putting my Canon printer in device manager under the disk drive also puts the printer under printers which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OldMike65, Aug 29, 2015.

1. OldMike65 Win User

Window puts my printer in Device Manager under disk drives

Well this is kinda strange, Windows keeps putting my Canon printer in device manager under the disk drive
    also puts the printer under printers which is correct. Everytime I uninstall it from under the disk drive location
    it puts it back after a reboot. Also get dump files error on usb port, which the printer uses. Printer works fine, but it should not be put under the disk drive in device manager. only way to stop it, is to turn printer off, before I reboot.
    Then it doesn't put it under disk drive after I remove it. This is darn strange.... lol

:)

OldMike65, Aug 29, 2015
  2. maconklin Win User

Disk Drive info showing incorrectly in Device manager

I have had recent printer problems on my PC. I just noticed that my printer is showing up under Disk Drives in Device Manager. It is showing up in the G USB port.

maconklin, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Code64 Win User
    USB pendrive not showing up

I recently tried to format a USB Hard drive. The operation failed and showed the message "Windows is not able to format." Then suddenly the device disappeared from the list of Local disks under "Disk management." From that time, my device does not appear
    under "Disk Management" as a Local disk. The "Device Manager App" shows "USB Mass storage device" under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers." Its properties are also shown right. It is detected as a device under "Devices and Printers" application also.

I have other USB Hard drives that are working fine on my computer. I do not understand why.

I contacted Sandisk support and they directed me to contact Lenovo support(my PC manufacturer) to download drivers for USB where I saw that no drivers were found for my PC model(Lenovo Thinkpad Twist) for Windows 10.

Please provide me information on how can I access the external hard drive now?

Code64, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Antilope Win User

Maybe Windows 10 is seeing memory in the printer, set aside for spooler use, as a disk drive? Just a wild guess. Don't have a solution.

Antilope, Aug 29, 2015
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Does the printer have a memory card slot reader?

eLPuSHeR, Aug 29, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    It would only do that if it has a Memory Card reader built in. It should also show up in Printers if you have installed the software for the printer. Otherwise all Windows is going to see is the Memory Card Reader and nothing else.

bro67, Aug 29, 2015
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes the printer has two memory card slots in the front. But windows 7 never put this printer in under disk drive. Also never had errors in any of my USB ports. Also the canon does show up in printers too. Tried installing new drivers from canon dated from just a couple months ago. When I go to check after installing new drivers, the MS drivers dated from 2006 are still the default drivers.

OldMike65, Aug 29, 2015
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Almost forgot, one more thing, Windows 10 also puts in as a removable disk too!!!!

OldMike65, Aug 29, 2015
  9. Hydranix Win User
    Windows 10 probably reclassified the memory card reader on the printer to better present to the user the capabilities of the device.

Memory cards are exactly that. Removable "disk" drives.

Don't be alarmed. This is actually a useful update to one of the ways Windows works.

Hydranix, Aug 29, 2015
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    This is messing up my 3.0 USB add on card I installed 2 years ago that I use for my Thermaltake BlacX 5 G Goes from working fine to Windows not seeing it. So far if I turn the printer off, reboot, then my external drive works again.

OldMike65, Aug 29, 2015
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Another question is their a FREE driver update utility that works for Windows 10 ?? Maybe that could fix these driver problems.

OldMike65, Aug 29, 2015
  12. caperjack Win User
    maybe the issue is with the 2 year old 3.0 usb card's drivers, and the Black x5 get bad reviews on newegg.ca for doing what you are describing

caperjack, Aug 29, 2015
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Well I've had them installed for like I said for 2 years, was NEVER a problem under win 7. Was not a problem under win 10 till these last updates were installed.

OldMike65, Aug 29, 2015
  14. caperjack Win User
    so now it time for the usb 3 card make to catch up to the latest win10 I guess ,maybe next update will fix it ,win10 is new don't forget ,and just may have been released to soon ,maybe uninstall the last updates till next updates fixes it

caperjack, Aug 29, 2015
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Well I agree with this statement 100% sir!! I know exactly what you mean and totally agree. This is not my 1st rodeo, at 65 years of age used to many versions of windows. But can still get me a tad pissed. *Smile

OldMike65, Aug 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Window puts my printer in Device Manager under disk drives - Similar Threads - Window puts printer

2. Drive D not showing in explorer, device manager or disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive D not showing in explorer, device manager or disk management: Yesterday night I started some updates for windows and left them over night. Today I turn on my laptop and all the stuff on drive d is gone. My whole drive was gone. It isn't showing up in the explorer, disk manager, device manager and it isn't even showing up in the bios. I...
  3. "Device not started" under events in the device manager

"Device not started" under events in the device manager: Hiin the device manager under events, windows tells me about my uhd 630 "device not started igfx". This is the error:" Problema di avvio del dispositivo PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9BC8&SUBSYS_7C751462&REV_03\3&11583659&0&10.Nome driver: oem7.infGUID classe:...
  4. Printer visible in Device Manager but not in Printers

Printer visible in Device Manager but not in Printers: Hi! My printer, a Brother HL-L2390DW, is visible in Device Manager but not in the Printers menu. I'm unable to manage the printer because of this. I have already tried uninstalling / reinstalling the printer. The drivers are the latest drivers. The troubleshooter was...
  5. Floppy drive not showing in Explorer Device Manager or Disk Management

Floppy drive not showing in Explorer Device Manager or Disk Management: The floppy disk controller shows in Device Manager, but not the drive. The BIOS sees the drive and the drive was chosen in the BIOS and the controller was turned on in the BIOS. I tried to install the floppy drive manually in Add Hardware, but there isn't a listing for it....
  6. No printer drive available for Printer under Devices and Printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No printer drive available for Printer under Devices and Printer: Under printers and devices, my printer shows "no driver available" Is this why my fax isn't working? Microsoft did a complete update recently and fouled up many settings..... ***Modified title from: Under printers and devices, my printer shows "no driver available" Is...
  7. Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management

Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management: Hello I have a 4 TB seagate imagepro external harddrive which I have been using for about two years. Every time I plugged it in I would get a message saying there are problems with the drive and I always ignored it. Finally I chose the option to scan and repair. While this...
  8. Hard drive shows up in device manager but no in disk management

Hard drive shows up in device manager but no in disk management: I have a few months old Seagate 2tb HDD that just today began to not show up in my drives in file explorer. After screwing with SATA and power cables (to no prevail). It was previously assigned a letter and didn't show any sign of failure, any help?...
  9. Device not listed under Device Manager

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Device not listed under Device Manager: Hello all, I just upgraded to Windows 10; not much problems for me, except one that I really wish I new that before upgrading. Let me just say this; the Windows 10 app on my pc (runing Win7 Ultimate) did not say anything about this issue, that's why I upgraded. Under...
  10. Canon Printer listed under Disk drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Canon Printer listed under Disk drives?: Just a question for you guys, in my device manager my canon printer is listed under Disk drives, USB connection?? Its also listed correctly under printers too. Should I remove it from being listed under disk drives?? or leave it alone? Thanks guys. 19217