Windows 10: Windows 10 -1607 and update in metered wifi

Discus and support Windows 10 -1607 and update in metered wifi in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Previously in metered connection wifi, if update is selected, it used to shown warning and then update. In 1607, update just hangs in metered wifi,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by lvgandhi, Aug 10, 2016.

1. lvgandhi Win User

Windows 10 -1607 and update in metered wifi

Previously in metered connection wifi, if update is selected, it used to shown warning and then update.
    In 1607, update just hangs in metered wifi, even after selecting and clicking the option. Any one faced this? Any solutions?

:)

lvgandhi, Aug 10, 2016

2. Windows 10 Anniversary Update - how to set metered connection

My laptop updated my PC to the latest Windows 10 Anniversary edition.

Windows 10 Home 1607 64 Bit

Now I can't find how to set my computer Windows Updates (network WiFi) to "metered connection ON".

Please help me on how to do this.

LadyTracyGP, Aug 10, 2016
  3. cmclark66 Win User
    Setting a metered connection on Windows 10 (version 1607)

I have just updated to the latest windows 10 (version 1607) and it seems that I can no longer set my satellite internet WiFi to a "metered connection".

Now there seems to be no "Advanced options" or anything to set a metered connection under WiFi

Please help.

Charlie

With the previous Windows 10 version I was able to :

To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered:
    • Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet.
    • Select Wi-Fi > Advanced options > Set as metered connection.

cmclark66, Aug 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

If you have difficulties using Windows update to do the upgrade, manually download the iso and proceed from there.
    There's a tutorial on how to do this, or simply search the net - or the forum - for how- posted many times.

Having the iso
    - lets you create a bootable medium
    - lets you upgrade multiple PCs without multiple downloads
    - avoids Windows update difficulties
    - lets you try again if necessary without downloading again
    - is available should you need to do an in-place upgrade repair install

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  5. lvgandhi Win User
    Thanks for response.
    May be I have not expressed clearly or you have not understood my post. I have already upgraded to 1607 as written subject of the post. I am talking about updates in 1607 not upgrade to 1607. In 1607, updates are not taking place in metered wifi even after selection and click which used tp happen previously in 1511.

lvgandhi, Aug 10, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Sorry, I misread 'In 1607' but I now see what you mean.

Please see
    Set Windows 10's Wi-Fi connections as metered to download forced updates at your own pace | PCWorld
    How to set metered connections and disable Windows 10 Update Delivery Optimization | Windows Central

Does the update proceed if you set your connection as non-metered?

I read this as saying that automatic updates won't proceed with a metered connection, but when offered and manually selected, should proceed. I understand you to be saying this doesn't happen.
    Wireless Network Metered Connection - Set in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  7. lvgandhi Win User
    Again Thanks for the response.
    However still, I think I have not made my self clear about my problem.
    I have already read those links given by you even before upgrading to 1607. My metered connection was working ok. Updates are are not installed automatically, but installed when I click update.
    But after upgrade to 1607 from 1511, with metered connection on, when I click update, it shows downloading. But no downloading is done. It hangs as downloading. Then I have to remove metered connection to update.

lvgandhi, Aug 10, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Thanks, I'll leave this for someone else.

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  9. TrustMe Win User
    I set 1607 to a metered connection and it would not update. It said it found updates. but hung at downloading them. I let it sit there for an hour but they would not download. I tried System Restore and that worked. When I went to set wifi to metered again, I got a message saying you have to logged into a MS account to set wifi to metered. I didn't get that message the first time. I don't like using an MS account so I just left it off. Right now Windows Update is working as it should but I don't have metered to on.

TrustMe, Aug 10, 2016
  10. lvgandhi Win User
    Thanks for the response.
    You meant reset or restore? I don't find an option for restore? Is it clean install? I did a clean install of 1607. Then installed all programs. Still metered connection is not working as in 1511.

lvgandhi, Aug 11, 2016
  11. Slartybart, Aug 11, 2016
  12. TrustMe Win User
    I also did a clean install of 1607. One of the first things I do is set up System Restore, so when Windows Update broke, I did a System Restore to before the metered connection. That got it working again. I tried to turn on the metered connection again, but got the message I posted above. So I just left it off.

@Slartybart
    Thanks for your post. I didn't know there was a known issue with the metered connection. I will send MS feedback.

@Ivgandhi
    This will not help your problem now but if you would like to set up System Restore, here is a guide.

System Protection - Turn On or Off for Drives in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

TrustMe, Aug 11, 2016
  13. lvgandhi Win User

Thanks to both of You.

lvgandhi, Aug 11, 2016
  14. Bree New Member
    Yes, it was a real pain for those of us on a monthly download limit. However, you'll be pleased to know that 1607's Windows Update now works correctly with a Metered connection. Previous behaviour has been restored since installing 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176934)' and 'Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176936)'.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 -1607 and update in metered wifi - Similar Threads - 1607 update metered

2. Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows downloads updates even though it is on a metered WiFi: I still receive sporadic updates in my Windows 10 desptie that all my WiFi connections are marked as metered. In particular, on 27/07 the system downloaded KB4565483 while I was connected to my cellphone hotspot clearly marked `metered` since long ago. It incurred me the...
  3. Windows 10 update (metered) question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update (metered) question: Going on a cruise soon with a wifi package that I don't want chewed up with frigging Microsoft updates. I recently turned on metering for my home wifi connection and have only been connected via wifi. Still in the last day the frigging computer updated 5.61 gb of updates!?!...
  4. New Wifi default to metered

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Wifi default to metered: In Windows 10, is there anyway to have any new wifi network (not a mobile network, but rather a friends house) added default to "metered connection". I know how to change a wifi to metered, but would like to have the default set to metered as soon as it's connected, to avoid...
  5. METERED WIFI

in Windows 10 Customization
    METERED WIFI: I mistakenly metered my WIFI and want to reverse it. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-wifi/a6a8f278-bf63-4af4-8edf-2679d54b77fe
  6. Metered wifi

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered wifi: I cannot complete downloads because metered wifi is on, this I think needs to be changed and as far as I can make out I have to change form Administrator acc to user acc, but I can't find how to do that....
  7. Wifi signal meter in taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wifi signal meter in taskbar: Windows 10: wifi notification works in safe mode, does not in normal mode? I have exhausted my knowledge and I come to you for help. Running Windows 10 home on laptop. System specifics: Computer Profile Summary Computer Name: HP-15-NOTE (in PCDRNV) — PCDRNV Profile Date:...
  8. Update window hangs with metered wifi

Update window hangs with metered wifi: When I click check for updates with metered wifi, it hangs for last one day. [img] How to go about it. It happens frequently. 90071
  9. metered updates

metered updates: While travelling it is very annoying to have updates running at inconvenient times. I have switched my laptop to metered updates, but this only works apparently for each specific wifi connection. Apparently there isn't a simple way of turning on metered updates for all...
  10. Metered wifi and bluetooth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered wifi and bluetooth: What is the connection between metered wifi and bluetooth. When my wifi is metered, I get message as shown in pic below. [img] 63186