Windows 10: Windows 10 - 1607 Fast Startup question

Discus and support Windows 10 - 1607 Fast Startup question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I already had hibernation disabled when update to 1607 (anniversary job) came today (and was flawless, in under an hour). I wanted to make sure fast... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 91fw, Sep 21, 2016.

1. 91fw Win User

Windows 10 - 1607 Fast Startup question

I already had hibernation disabled when update to 1607 (anniversary job) came today (and was flawless, in under an hour).
    I wanted to make sure fast startup continues to be off because dual boot with windows 7 didn't like fast startup.
    But after this update to 1607 both hibernation and fast startup are no longer on the power setting screen, such as is shown towards the end in Brink's tutorial
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Is that ok that both are missing? There is no new hiberfil file, so that's ok.
    How can I confirm that fast startup is really off? I'd rather not run Windows 7 until I'm sure.

:)

2. DanE_954 Win User

Windows 10 updated with Anniversary Edition (1607) and now No Input Signal to Monitor

Thanks for the advice. If you look above your post, you'll see that I've already disabled "Fast Startup" and gave directions on how to do it. What I'm referring to when I say it hasn't been resolved yet, is that Microsoft hasn't released an update correcting
    the problem with Windows 10. Windows 10 version 1511, Fast Startup worked fine, Windows 10 version 1607, Fast Startup causes loss of video output signal.

DanE_954, Sep 21, 2016
  3. DanE_954 Win User
    Windows 10 updated with Anniversary Edition (1607) and now No Input Signal to Monitor

TEMPORARY SOLUTION I FOUND

The issue apparently is with the FAST STARTUP option in Control Panel - Power Options! Unchecking the FAST STARTUP option allows the computer to startup normally after a shutdown now! Look up "Fast Startup problems in Windows 10". My Windows 10 was
    fine until the Anniversary Update (1607). Apparently, Fast Startup creates a file that forces a Selective Startup the next time you start the computer, and this is causing the issue somewhere in what it's loading (or not loading). Supposedly, you can also
    go into msconfig in Safe Mode, select Normal Boot, and check "make all boot settings permanent" to fix the problem

Ridiculous that updates are released that corrupt Windows, crash systems, and cost customers big $$$$ to attempt to fix! And the people who eventually fix it aren't the one's (Microsoft) that caused the nightmare in the first place!!!! Hopefully this
    issue is fixed in a future update! Right now FAST STARTUP has to be disabled.

DanE_954, Sep 21, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

simrick, Sep 21, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Open up a Command Window, enter Powercfg /hibernate off That will remove the Hibernate folder and shut it off, which also turns off Fast Boot. Fast Boot is basically a Hybrid start that you really do not need these days with the newer Hybrid Drives, faster Sata 3 SSD's. The 3D drives are even faster, along with the M.2.

bro67, Sep 21, 2016
  6. 91fw Win User
    I take it from your replies that since hibernation was off, as I wrote in the first post, that fast startup has no chance, so I'm ok.
    Thank you.

7. simrick Win User
    That's correct. If hibernation is off, Fast Startup will not be available. Please go ahead and mark the thread as solved. Cheers! *Smile

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - 1607 Fast Startup question - Similar Threads - 1607 Fast Startup

2. Fast Startup Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast Startup Question: Hello. I have a quick question about fast startup setting in windows 11. I have a desktop PC that is always connected to the wall outlet. If I have fast startup enabled and the power goes out, can that damage my pc? I understand it's unadvised to unplug your pc or any drives...
  3. Fast Startup Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fast Startup Question: Hello. I have a quick question about fast startup setting in windows 11. I have a desktop PC that is always connected to the wall outlet. If I have fast startup enabled and the power goes out, can that damage my pc? I understand it's unadvised to unplug your pc or any drives...
  4. fast question

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    fast question: how do i change the date of birth in minecraft? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-question/e0a21780-7d3c-40e4-8ac7-b7141c4d0583
  5. Windows Fast startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Fast startup: HI, My name is Sumiyuru and I have a problem about fast startup feature, By default my computer had the fast startup feature, and it worked fine but one day when I tried to shutdown it only made the screen black and went to lock screen, As I looked into web suggestions it...
  6. Fast Startup question

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Startup question: I just read that there is a setting in the power section called 'turn on fast startup. This is not listed on my pc under shutdown settings. Only lists 'sleep' and 'lock'. Do I need to unhide this button somehow? Do I need to be signed on as ADMIN? Thank you. windows 10...
  7. Logon/fast startup questions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Logon/fast startup questions.: Is there a way to stop windows from auto logging into an account that isn’t password protected? Also, If I turn on my computer and sign into my account sometimes either something that I left open when it turned it off will be back and open. Or if I know I’m the only one...
  8. 2 Questions about 'Fast Startup'

in Windows 10 Support
    2 Questions about 'Fast Startup': I got 2 questions about Fast Startup: - Should I turn off Fast Startup? I heard that keeping it on is bad for your PC. - Is it true that one should reduce the size of the hibernate file if you use Fast Startup? 61569
  9. 1607 to 1703 question?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1607 to 1703 question?: Is it worth the upgrade, and how much bigger is 1703 update ? Running out of room Thanks Gary 87625
  10. Question regarding Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Question regarding Fast Startup: Hi, sorry if this is the wrong section. Recently I found out about the Fast Startup feature in Win8/10. (Aka hybrid shutdown) ( If you have no idea what I'm talking about: The Pros and Cons of Windows 10 Mode ) My question is what would happen when you have a...