Windows 10: Windows 10 1607 - Firefox will not start

Discus and support Windows 10 1607 - Firefox will not start in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have been unsuccessful updating two machines to Windows 10 1607. During my latest attempt Firefox would not display its browser screen. If I looked... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jconstan, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jconstan Win User

Windows 10 1607 - Firefox will not start

I have been unsuccessful updating two machines to Windows 10 1607. During my latest attempt Firefox would not display its browser screen. If I looked at task manager I could see firefox32* loaded. If I tried to start Firefox again, I would get another firefox32* but no browser screen. I tried starting Firefox holding down the shift key, no add-ons, but no change. I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled yielding the same result.

I rolled the machine back to the previous version of Windows 10 and Firefox worked fine. What am I doing wrong? I have been unable to find any other information on this problem.

Thank you

:)

jconstan, Sep 26, 2016

2. Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194798)

After loading the update to Windows 10 version 1607 my Google Chrome will not open. My connection is good, and both Firefox and the Edge will open. Help!

JulieRobins, Sep 26, 2016
  3. MG_SE Win User
    Problem after installing updates

Hi,

I installed the following Windows 10 updates:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429)

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013418)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - March 2017 (KB890830)

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)

After this, many of my other programs/apps do not start and I get a fail messages stating that "the application was unable to start correctly". Examples of apps are Avast Antivirus, Spotify, Firefox etc. After this, it is impossible to open them.

I have tried to install the latest windows 10 update (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015438)) in the hope that this would fix the problem, but it has not.

When I start the computer in fail safe mode, all apps seem to be working.

So, how do I fix this issue?

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

MG_SE, Sep 26, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

I had no such problem with Firefox and the Anniversary Update. It may be that your Firefox is working too, but the window location is set to appear somewhere outside your desktop area. Do you see a Firefox icon on the taskbar when you have firefox32* running? If so, does a Firefox thumbnail appear when you hover over it? If it does, right-click on the thumbnail view and select Maximise.

That can get your Firefox visible, but it won't cure the 'outside the screen' problem. One easy way to fix that would be to open anything else at the same time then, using window's 'snap' feature, click-and-drag it to the side of the desktop. This will set the snapped app to occupy one half of the screen and offer a choice of what will occupy the other half. Choose Firefox and its window will be set to appear on your desktop again.

5. jconstan Win User
    Thank you for your response. The Firefox icon does not appear on the taskbar.

jconstan, Sep 26, 2016
  6. torre Win User
    Thoughts:

Any errors noted in the Event Viewer ?

May try to thoroughly uninstall Firefox by manually removing the registry entries and folders and reinstall. (regedit/this pc)

Manually set Firefox as your default browser. Open Control Panel/type Default Programs in search bar (upper right)/click Firefox

Does the icon appear as a Desktop Shortcut immediately after install ? If so, try to launch from desktop and also click desktop icon to place in taskbar.

Mozilla Forums may also have advice.

torre, Sep 26, 2016
  7. Not Myself, Sep 27, 2016
  8. jconstan Win User

Thank you for your response.

No errors in the event viewer. I did uninstall Firefox by manually removing the directories, but not the registry entries. I have Firefox as my default browser. Yes, the Firefox icon disappears when I do an uninstall and reappears when I do an install.

I will try the uninstall and delete the registry entries and see how that works.

jconstan, Sep 27, 2016
  9. jconstan Win User
    jconstan, Sep 27, 2016
  10. Bree New Member
    There's a comprehensive list of point to check here, including this one that as far as I can tell you haven't tried yet.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...viously-worked

I routinely use the Profile Manager myself. Not for trouble-shooting, but because I need two profiles: one for day to day browsing, the other exclusively for accessing a website I help manage. The bookmarks, cache and cookies are stored completely independently for each profile - reduces the risk of cross-contamination.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 1607 - Firefox will not start - Similar Threads - 1607 Firefox start

2. Download Windows 10 1607

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download Windows 10 1607: Dear Microsoft: I need to download Windows 10 1607 for my coursework. However, I cannot find any official resources to get the iso file. Can you tell me where I can download it from Microsoft?Thanks....
  3. Download Windows 10 1607

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download Windows 10 1607: Dear Microsoft: I need to download Windows 10 1607 for my coursework. However, I cannot find any official resources to get the iso file. Can you tell me where I can download it from Microsoft?Thanks....
  4. Download Windows 10 1607

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. windows 10 version 1607

windows 10 version 1607: My computer has been in storage for awhile, When i got it out and turned it on it started updates automatically. My problem is I am on version 1607 and update is taking it to version 20h2.. The system is locking up and wont upgrade. Is there a need to upgrade in window...
  6. Firefox Won't Start

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Firefox Won't Start: I wanted to test out using Firefox. When I open Firefox, it asks for parent permission. [ATTACH] When I click "Ask by email," it says that the request was sent. [ATTACH] My dad has confirmed that I can use Firefox numerous times. Over the past month, I've tried several...
  7. Windows 10 Build 1607

Windows 10 Build 1607: Are there any updates to build 1607 which adds the color filters to ease of access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-build-1607/93d81611-5803-4b18-b171-4d0537597536
  8. Windows 10 stubbornly starting Edge instead of Firefox

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 stubbornly starting Edge instead of Firefox: Hi, I'm used to starting Firefox by hitting the Windows key, typing Firefox and pressing Enter. It worked like this since years, and is quicker than searching for Firefox on the desktop, on the start menu or trying to click on an icon in the task bar. But now, each time I do...
  9. DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 1607

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 1607: I have Windows 10 1807 And I want to Rollback to 1507 Or 1607 Reasons: The Microsoft Store icon (1807) is not what I want. The file explorer icon on the start (1507/1607) is not on the start. I want the old System Settings....
  10. Windows 10, version 1607

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10, version 1607: After this update I have a Windows-Old folder, 17.6 gig. Can this folder be deleted? Happy with update and will not go back to 1511. 64037

Users found this page by searching for:

1. firefox not starting windows 10

2. win 10 firefox will not start

3. windows 10 firefox will not start