Windows 10: Windows 10 1703 Upgrade Failing

Discus and support Windows 10 1703 Upgrade Failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For a few weeks now I've been trying to install the new Windows 10 1703 upgrade and it keeps failing. It goes through the whole check the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bettsaj, Jul 16, 2017.

1. bettsaj Win User

Windows 10 1703 Upgrade Failing

For a few weeks now I've been trying to install the new Windows 10 1703 upgrade and it keeps failing.

It goes through the whole check the system thing, everything is ok and then proceeds to download the 2.9gb update esd file. Following that it goes through the install procedure where it either throws up an install error and reverts back to the previous configuration, or it just reboots and I'm back where I started.

I will say at this point that I did manage to install it just once, but then I was plagued with the PC crashing every 5 minutes and shutting down, so i re-installed the original version of Win 10 off my disc thinking it was a software issue. It was then I discovered that it wasn't a software issue at all, it was in fact my fan not cooling the CPU adequately enough so consequently it was shutting down.

To get it to install I followed these instructions on this web page

Fixed: Windows 10 Creator (1703) Update Stuck/Fail to Install Repeatedly – EaseUS

I didn't do methods 1 or 2, I jumped straight to method 3....It seemed to work then... But since then I haven't been able to get the update to install.

Help!... Has anyone got on suggestions.......

Thanks in advance

Andy

:)

bettsaj, Jul 16, 2017
  2. RalphZero Win User

Windows 10 Versions

There are at least three versions of windows 10: 1607, 1703, 1709. One PC, upgraded from windows 7, uses version 1703 while a second, upgraded from windows 8.1, continues to use 1607 after failed attempts to upgrade to version 1703. What is the significance
    of these different versions of windows 10?

RalphZero, Jul 16, 2017
  3. JohnHyam Win User
    Failed to install updates, need help please

I have windows 10 version 1703. My windows 10 upgrade failed to work. Error code 0x8070020

Please help

JohnHyam, Jul 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, best to eliminate elementary issues - please try some basic checks.
    1. Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon

2. If ok:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. Separate downloading the iso and the update and installation process.
    Download it manually:
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

When you have that you can use it repeatedly, and you also have a useful bootable tool for certain repairs if you create a DVD or bootable USB drive.

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

4. Before you try upgrading again - which is a risk - please create a disk image of what you have now. (We strongly urge people to routinely use disk imaging- so many advantages, including potentially reducing the need to clean install). E.g. Macrium reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for image sets.

If things go wrong, you can get back to where you were fairly readily.
    (Disk imaging helps even if your disk fails or your PC is unbootable e.g. and also creates a full backup)

5. When upgrading:
    - disable your AV, disconnect any unnecessary peripherals; also see 'Here's How' in the tutorial below.

What went wrong? See:
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

- & see the yellow Tips section

Then see
    How to Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows - Microsoft Community

Please also post a screenshot of your partitions: Minitool Partition Wizard is good for this - please make sure all text in columns is fully displayed.

Thanks.

dalchina, Jul 16, 2017
  5. bettsaj Win User
    Thanks for that..... I'll go through all that tonight when I get home from work.. I'll post my results when I've got them

Regards,

Andy

bettsaj, Jul 16, 2017
  6. bettsaj Win User
    First thing, is the chkdsk log from event viewer:

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    402432 file records processed. File verification completed.
    3542 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed.
    Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    493684 index entries processed. Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 977 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 977 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 977 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    45627 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    38892704 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    No further action is required.

487460863 KB total disk space.
    54883220 KB in 228374 files.
    137396 KB in 45628 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    523311 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    431916936 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    121865215 total allocation units on disk.
    107979234 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 24 06 00 5d 2e 04 00 d4 e6 07 00 00 00 00 00 .$..]...........
    0d 01 00 00 1f 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

bettsaj, Jul 16, 2017
  7. bettsaj Win User
    I've got the ISO downloaded... I need to buy some DVD's to burn it to.

bettsaj, Jul 17, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Good- meanwhile you can do (1) Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI
    and post a screenshot of your partitions: Minitool Partition Wizard is good for this - please make sure all text in columns is fully displayed.

That's quite easy.
    The logs may be helpful, but not so straightforward.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1703 Upgrade Failing - Similar Threads - 1703 Upgrade Failing

2. Windows Updates and Upgrade fail - Version 1703; attempt to Upgrade Windows - setupactlogs...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates and Upgrade fail - Version 1703; attempt to Upgrade Windows - setupactlogs...: Version 1703 Windows10 - updates have failed for several years. I believe I've tried all of the normal steps to solve the problem, and the PC continues to rollback. DISM.EXE /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth sfc /scannow net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSDvc net stop...
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade version 1703 issues

Windows 10 Upgrade version 1703 issues: Hello, I am facing issues to upgrade Windows 10 ver. 1703 to higher versions. Due to this, i am not able to install any softwares from outside Microsoft Store, even though my system is not in S mode. I have tried using Windows update assistant, but still of no use. It is...
  4. my windows 10 ,1703 is failing to update to 1803,1903

my windows 10 ,1703 is failing to update to 1803,1903: my windows can't update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-10-1703-is-failing-to-update-to/8701d827-e216-4640-973a-52bc07dd414e
  5. Failed update windows 1703

Failed update windows 1703: Hi there, I having an issue , i could not update my Windows 10. Currently running 1703, I tried this link from microsoft thread but no good , https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Does microsoft have one single package to update old windows 10...
  6. Windows 10 1703 Upgrade needed?

Windows 10 1703 Upgrade needed?: I am using Windows 10 1703. My "windows Update" section of the software notes that My device is up to date. However, in the update and security section of Windows in "Update History" it notes "Feature update to Windows 10, 1803 amd64 2019-04" and then says requires a...
  7. Windows 10 1703 Deployment of Taskbar failing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 1703 Deployment of Taskbar failing: Hi everybody I'm struggling a lot with the deployment of the taskbar in Windows 10 1703 with GPO. I have the Startmenu XML file working as a charm, but as soon as I add the taskbar lines, the XML isn't applied. Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>...
  8. Windows 10 1703 upgrade won't run

Windows 10 1703 upgrade won't run: This is an ASUS CM6870, i7 CPU, 16GB ram, wireless option, UEFI BIOS about 4 yrs old and came with W7 installed. I clean installed 1703, but after install it does not boot but instead locks up with a bluish screen (not BSOD) and non-movable mouse pointer. So I clean...
  9. Update to version 1703 failing

Update to version 1703 failing: The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation Error code 0x8007002C - 0x4000D Had this before on another computer, which got fixed by uninstalling antivirus, firewall and messing with a few reg keys. That didn't work on this...
  10. Fails to update to windows 1703

Fails to update to windows 1703: Hello Bree suggested I should start a new thread............. My W10 updates all "offers" except for feature update to windows 10 version 1703? It has had several tries at updating it but fails each time, while other updates come in and are completed. As of 1/6/17 I'm on...