Windows 10: Windows 10 1703 upgrade won't run

Discus and support Windows 10 1703 upgrade won't run in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is an ASUS CM6870, i7 CPU, 16GB ram, wireless option, UEFI BIOS about 4 yrs old and came with W7 installed. I clean installed 1703, but after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ruggb, Jul 26, 2017.

1. ruggb Win User

Windows 10 1703 upgrade won't run

This is an ASUS CM6870, i7 CPU, 16GB ram, wireless option, UEFI BIOS about 4 yrs old and came with W7 installed.

I clean installed 1703, but after install it does not boot but instead locks up with a bluish screen (not BSOD) and non-movable mouse pointer.
    So I clean installed 1607 and it worked fine. I activated it and installed 1 program.
    I then did an upgrade install to 1703 and again it bombed out as before.

I rebooted and it came back with a BSOD and indicated it stopped because of an inaccessible boot device.
    Then it rebooted and said it was trying to fix it.
    Then rebooted again with the same BSOD.
    It rebooted again and proceeded to Restoring your previous version of windows.

How can the boot device be inaccessible under 1703 and not 1607???

:)

ruggb, Jul 26, 2017

2. Reset this PC

It means, you won't be able to rollback to your previous Windows 10 installation. So, say you had Windows 10 1703 installed before upgrading to Windows 10 1709, if you reset, you won't be able to go back to 1703.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 26, 2017
  3. RyanM_76 Win User
    Windows Update Fail

Windows 10 won't upgrade - the install runs, the computer reboots, but then I get a notification saying install failed. I believe it's trying to install version 1709. I'm running version 1703. Any help would be great, thanks!

RyanM_76, Jul 26, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Try running the Setup.exe for 1703 as a compatibility test only. As @lx07 says...

Then you'll see the return code as described saying if it found any issues with upgrading.[/quote] Still waiting for validation of this pc to download (and see subsequent posts)

Then check any error codes here:
    Microsoft - Resolve Windows 10 upgrade errors : Technical information for IT Pros.

5. AddRAM Win User
    Anything is possible with Microsoft

AddRAM, Jul 26, 2017
  6. ruggb Win User
    @Bree
    ran that and it showed nothing.

ruggb, Jul 26, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    1) When you power on now does it go to lock screen/wall paper/splash screen then logon then desktop?
    2) If so in the left lower corner type winver and view the pop up about windows and post into the thread the windows version and build.
    3) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    a) sfc /scannow
    b) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    c) chkdsk /scan
    d) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

zbook, Jul 26, 2017
  8. ruggb Win User

thanks zbook

I am back to 1607 - with 1703 it won't boot so I can't run anything.
    1607 works fine.

ruggb, Jul 26, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    With windows 10 version 1607 run the above commands and post the results into the thread.
    Open disk management.
    Before posting an image expand the width of each column so that all information is visible in each row.
    Use the Microsoft snipping tool to make an image and post into the thread.

zbook, Jul 26, 2017
  10. AddRAM Win User
    Is it W10 Pro or Home ?

With Pro you can go into Settings/Updates & Security/Advanced Options and choose to Defer Feature updates.

This will keep you with the AU for as long as possible, I`ve been running the AU for months with no issues at all. I didn`t like the CU at all.

If it were me, I would have kept 7 on it and just used it.

AddRAM, Jul 26, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    With both Home and Pro you can hide the update. This can be useful in Pro for when the 'defer' period ends.
    Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10

There is a slight 'Catch 22' with Features Updates like this. To hide the update it has to be seen when you check for updates in Settings > Update & security, but if you check for updates it will start downloading. To prevent that you should set a metered connection before checking for updates.

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10
    Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10

12. ruggb Win User
    thanks all

It was sort of obviously a hardware issue, but ????????
    Then I stumbled upon this post---------thank god

Upgrading ASUS CM6870 to Windows 10 Creators Edition 1703 - Microsoft Community

It's the WiFi board stupid. Anyone could have figured that out. RIGHT!!!!!!!!
    removed it - installed creator - reinstalled board - Everything happy.............

Windows not too smart...................

ruggb, Jul 26, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Actually, Microsoft is a bit smarter than that. Machines with known hardware issues are blocked from receiving the Creators Update through windows update until the issues are resolved. They do warn that...

Windows 10 Creators Update rollout: First phase update

14. ruggb Win User
    It did not block the update
    If the card has such an issue then why:
    Did it not tell me prior to trying to update - it said everything was fine?
    Why did the board function perfectly as soon as I reinstalled it after updating to 1703?

I don't buy your answer

ruggb, Jul 26, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    The block only stops the Creators Update being delivered through Windows Update. You said yourself that you did not use windows update but...

Microsoft don't recommend that, not "...unless you’re an advanced user who is prepared to work through some issues". It seems that you are, and you did, but you can't say Microsoft didn't warn you. *Smile

Thema:

1. Windows 10 1703 upgrade won't run - Similar Threads - 1703 upgrade won't

2. Windows 10 won't update from ver 1703

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't update from ver 1703: So I've been stuck with this windows version since june or july 2021. Windows update tool shows that my system is outdated and at risk but almost always shows "check for updates" below. Occasionally it shows that it downloaded updates ant wants me to install them, so I let it...
  3. Windows 10 won't update from ver 1703

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't update from ver 1703: So I've been stuck with this windows version since june or july 2021. Windows update tool shows that my system is outdated and at risk but almost always shows "check for updates" below. Occasionally it shows that it downloaded updates ant wants me to install them, so I let it...
  4. Windows 10 won't update from ver 1703

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Upgrade version 1703 issues

Windows 10 Upgrade version 1703 issues: Hello, I am facing issues to upgrade Windows 10 ver. 1703 to higher versions. Due to this, i am not able to install any softwares from outside Microsoft Store, even though my system is not in S mode. I have tried using Windows update assistant, but still of no use. It is...
  6. Windows 10 1703 Upgrade needed?

Windows 10 1703 Upgrade needed?: I am using Windows 10 1703. My "windows Update" section of the software notes that My device is up to date. However, in the update and security section of Windows in "Update History" it notes "Feature update to Windows 10, 1803 amd64 2019-04" and then says requires a...
  7. VS2003 to run in Windows 10 1703 Build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VS2003 to run in Windows 10 1703 Build: There is a post here with the exact problem that I am encountering, however, I cannot revert to the last windows 10 build and reinstalling the software did not work. Is there any other way for me to run VS2003? I need to for a legacy program that the company that I work for...
  8. Have problem running on battery since upgrade to 1703

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Have problem running on battery since upgrade to 1703: Last week, I had a problem with Office 2013 (unlicensed product- 2nd time in 6 weeks). MS tried running repair and eventually had to re-install but also did 'repair' on Win 10. That was all completed around 5pm last Friday and things seemed to be normal. Received...
  9. Windows 10 1703 Upgrade Failing

Windows 10 1703 Upgrade Failing: For a few weeks now I've been trying to install the new Windows 10 1703 upgrade and it keeps failing. It goes through the whole check the system thing, everything is ok and then proceeds to download the 2.9gb update esd file. Following that it goes through the install...
  10. Graphical artifacts 1703 upgrade.

in Windows 10 Support
    Graphical artifacts 1703 upgrade.: I seem to have another issue following the Creators Update upgrade in which I'm seeing graphical artifacts. I first noticed it in the shutdown process where the screen goes blue (could be black, not sure) It happens very quickly but I think I would describe the artifacts...