Windows 10: Windows 10 1703 - Windows Search Working All Time

Discus and support Windows 10 1703 - Windows Search Working All Time in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Guys i upgraded Windows 10 1607 to 1703 a few days ago, i guess 3 days. Everything at update process works fine but since i upgraded Windows Search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by optimization, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Windows 10 1703 - Windows Search Working All Time

Guys i upgraded Windows 10 1607 to 1703 a few days ago, i guess 3 days. Everything at update process works fine but since i upgraded Windows Search İndexing keeps working and getting my %30 cpu... It never ends... I use ssd it shouldnt take so long.. even with 5400 rpm it always works at background slowly and stable..

But 3 days non stop %30 cpu.. even i am at game..

FX 4300 CPU
    10 GB RAM
    120 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD

İs that a bug ? I dont want to disable that service.. i shouldnt have to do it..

:)

optimization, Jun 6, 2017

2. Expression Web 4 crashes with Windows 10 version 1703

Expression Web 4 has worked fine with all versions of Windows 10 until I installed the creators update (1703). It still works, but it crashes 100% of the time if I try to add a hyperlink and click on a folder (within EW4). This has always worked, so the
    difference is the 1703 update. The hyperlink address can be pasted into the address field, but the explorer search crashes EW4.

UPDATE (4/22/2017): I rolled back the Windows version from 1703 to 1607, and now Expression Web works fine. An interesting fact is that this is on a 64bit older desktop (2012 era). A somewhat newer Asus laptop with the same 1703 upgrade works well with
    Expression Web. Another old computer (32 bit Dell D830) with the 1703 build has the same issue with a fresh install of Expression Web 4. That is a fresh install of 1703, so I can not roll it back.

I will try a new build on the desktop if a major new build comes out or if a fix for this is announced (using 1703).

Fixed - 5/2/2017: The one computer that still continued to work with EW4 and Windows 10 build version 1703 had been rebuilt with a clean install of Windows 10 (first version). The two on which EW4 crashed had been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows
    8.1 (that had been upgraded from Windows 7). I rebuilt both the 64 bit desktop and 32 bit laptop with a clean install of Windows 10 version 1703, and now EW4 works fine. Apparently something left over from Windows 7 or 8.1 interacted with Windows 10 ver

texashillcountry, Jun 6, 2017
  3. Mac Mini can not upgrade/install windows 10 1703 due to failed install GPU drivers

After failing the installation of Windows 10 1703 with bootcamp on my Mac mini (late 2014) several (!) times, I found this post. First of all I am happy to know the issue now.

Currently I am on Windows 10 1607, and everything works just fine, except that I am not able to upgrade to Windows 10 1703. Neither with the Windows 10 Update assistant nor with a 1703 iso file.

I hope this problem gets fixed soon, as I would prefer to run my Mac with the newest version of Windows 10 with a working graphics driver.

VietPham98, Jun 6, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 1703 - Windows Search Working All Time

Hi, this can happen if the system is having difficulty accessing something, or if the index is corrupt.

Go to Control Panel, Indexing Options, and make a note of what you have currently set to be indexed.

Windows  10 1703 - Windows Search Working All Time [​IMG]

You can get the detail from that top Window using the arrows.

Now to hopefully get control, disable indexing of anything that is not on C: - if there is.
    You should see the number of indexed items reduce if you untick anything.

- Have you ever changed these from the default settings to index other data?

Now run the troubleshooter (bottom left of that picture) and post the result.

Now delete and rebuild the index

Windows  10 1703 - Windows Search Working All Time [​IMG]

Don't wait for that to complete.

Meanwhile, check your disk: download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI for each disk.
    to post a screenshot use the Insert Image icon above your post (left of the video icon)

If that's ok, run chkdsk to check your file system.
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

Now have a look at how indexing is proceeding and advise.

dalchina, Jun 6, 2017
  5. Thanks for the answer

Dude i have checked indexing locations. its just ssd c: and hard drive d:

when i look at task manager hard drive d is inactive for a while.. so it try to index ssd c: but also when i check task manager the windows search just using CPU, no hard drive..

I am sure windows search service corrupted or buged...

I just think about stop the service and restart it from services.msc ? will it work ?

6. I also stop the service and restart it but it cant be stopped... why this is happening ?

It now says at the service windows "stopping" but still task manager shows it use %30 cpu...

7. dalchina New Member
    Please follow the guidance I have given above. Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 6, 2017
  8. Windows 10 1703 - Windows Search Working All Time

The only thing that i didnt do from your guide is just chkdsk. I am pretty sure hard drive and ssd has not got errors dude. They and windows and also all apps working smooth. I think ms will release a hot fix for it. Its ms's fault about upgrade.

9. Any help guys ? still it consumes %25-30 cpu non stop, doenst use ssd or hdd, just consuming cpu.. cant stop it to resart it too.. it says "stopping" at services..

ALSO: when i go indexing options. its blank no indexing places, and it says indexing disabled not working

optimization, Jun 7, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, try this:
    Use the Resource monitor (Type Res in Cortana’s search box) to see what searchindexer.exe is doing on disk.
    Go to the disk tab, tick the check box for searchprotocolhost.exe (check all instances if you have more than one).
    In the Disk Activity window below you should be able to see the exact file(s) currently processed by the indexing service.
    Please take a screenshot of this and post it.

If search indexing is working (you say it's not) you'd then:

In Indexing Options, exclude this file (or files) from what is to be indexed.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 1703 - Windows Search Working All Time

1. Windows 10 1703 - Windows Search Working All Time - Similar Threads - 1703 Search Working

2. Why is Windows Search not working at all?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Windows Search not working at all?: I can't function without Microsoft Edge or Bing. Windows Search is not working at all. Can a kind soul respond and perhaps help me find the problem?Thanks so much!...
  3. Why is Windows Search not working at all?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows Search not working at all?: I can't function without Microsoft Edge or Bing. Windows Search is not working at all. Can a kind soul respond and perhaps help me find the problem?Thanks so much!...
  4. Why is Windows Search not working at all?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Search not working at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search not working at all: The search beside start is not working at all. It will load infinitely and does nothing. It happens a long time ago and I ended up doing a clean installation. I dont want to do it again and I want to address this today. This is annoying since I use it often. Kindly help my...
  6. Search not working at all

Search not working at all: The search beside start is not working at all. It will load infinitely and does nothing. It happens a long time ago and I ended up doing a clean installation. I dont want to do it again and I want to address this today. This is annoying since I use it often. Kindly help my...
  7. Windows 10 1703 PRO Cortana/Search is not working

in Cortana
    Windows 10 1703 PRO Cortana/Search is not working: Hi Experts, i am installing windows 10 1703 Professional in my PC, post installation if i user search option it is always blank, this is not a domain joined PC. I have tried multiple steps like, Restart Cortana / Search process Restore indexing services Modify...
  8. Using windows 10 (1703, 15063.1206). Time keeps changing.

Using windows 10 (1703, 15063.1206). Time keeps changing.: Files and emails saved with future date. I've changed the battery (it tested same as brand new one I replaced it with.) A chat support tech changed from NIST server I've used for years (because the Windows time server was seriously erratic) to Windows time server. Wrong...
  9. Windows Update Not Working Build 1703

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Not Working Build 1703: Hi, I was wondering if there's an issue with Windows Update or my PC. I've been trying to get this build right for a while, and just when I think I have it, I find another issue! I'll give you a little background to start. I built this PC to be a multi-purpose...
  10. Windows 10 Pro (1703) - Windows Search-bar cant find all my programs.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Pro (1703) - Windows Search-bar cant find all my programs.: Hello, After i updated to the creators update, some of my installed programs does not appear when i search in the windows search bar. And all my programs can be found manually in the start menu. On the indexing option, start menu is added by default. After a while I gave...