Windows 10: Windows 10 1709 failed restore point bootstat.dat 0xc0000043

Discus and support Windows 10 1709 failed restore point bootstat.dat 0xc0000043 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Since I upgraded to Windows 10 1709 16299.19 from 1703 every new system restore point recovery fails with error: System restore did not complete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hexaae, Oct 21, 2017.

1. hexaae Win User

Windows 10 1709 failed restore point bootstat.dat 0xc0000043

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 1709 16299.19 from 1703 every new system restore point recovery fails with error:

System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details
    System restore failed to restore a file. This could happen if an anti-virus program is protecting the file. If the failure persists switch off your anti-virus and retry the restore, or perform system restore from Windows Recovery Environment. System restore failed in delayed delete operation for the file \ ?? \ Volume{9d282722-a6f7-4867-bef2-dc00dcb23c58} \ WINDOWS \ bootstat.dat. (0xc0000043)

Just for testing I manually created some new restore points with 1709 and noticed it always fails on restore after reboot popping up this requester (ITA) *Eek

Windows 10 1709 failed restore point bootstat.dat 0xc0000043 [​IMG]

I don't have 3rd party antivirus installed or similar tools that might lock that file, I use just Defender + Malwarebytes Pro (disabled auto-start at every Windows login). Never had issues with Restore points before.
    Since C:\Windows\bootstat.dat is a legit system boot status file (contains infos about latest successful boot etc.) generated at every boot I wonder if it can be a bug of the new OS.

:)

hexaae, Oct 21, 2017

2. Widnows 10 bootup stuck after update

Hi,

Have been through something similar previously by going into appwiz.cpl and uninstalling updates back to 3rd January and trying a system restore. Given that I've already covered this ground, I think it was the same process although accessed from a different
    routine, I found only one restore point listed, Windows Installer on 28 January, I think it was.

After a few minutes system stopped and produced this failure notice: "System restore did not complete successfully. If the failure persists, switch off anti virus and try again, or perform system restore from Windows Recovery Environment. System Restore
    failed in delayed delete op for the file \??\volume{57a5adba-18a6-11e0-a04a-806e6f6963}\windows\bootstat.dat (0xc0000043)"

The system then went into a 3.5 hour operation to recover the old operating system, I presume, as the PC was completely occupied and unusable. Then turned itself off.

Tried rebooting in Normal mode but still freezes at the final stage. Back to only useable condition, with all its constraints, is Safe Mode. In short, no progress.

Thanks for your patience. Very frustrating for everyone.

RichardSimpson2, Oct 21, 2017
  3. Win 10, no boot, no safe mode, no system restore, Status_Wait_3 error, 0x80070003 , bootrec commands successful, but still no boot, what else?

After thinking about the system restore failing on restoring the registry, I searched a bit and found this How to restore Registry from its secret backup on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech Following
    those instructions allowed me to boot into safe mode! From there I ran system restore which completed, but when it reboots I get a message "We couldn't complete the features, undoing changes don't turn off your computer" . The computer then reboots to safe
    mode with the error message system restore did not complete successfully, failed to restore a file...windows\bootstat.dat. Making headway, but not quite there yet. Windows 10 1709 failed restore point bootstat.dat 0xc0000043 :)

Alan in Viriginia, Oct 21, 2017
  4. IsaacFL Win User

Were you booting to WinPE on recovery media?

Not sure if related your issue, but I just found out that Win10 1607, is the most recent WinPE version that Reflect currently supports.

In my case that means Storage Spaces aren't accessible now from WinPE. I guess there must have been a change to Storage Spaces in the 1709 update. Have not been able to find out what it was.

So something in the update to 1709 is incompatible with 1607 now.

IsaacFL, Oct 22, 2017
  5. hexaae Win User
    No, a notebook PC. Upgraded from 1703 to 1709.

hexaae, Oct 22, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    The restore fails, because whatever is accessing bootstat.dat doesn't have the right 'share access flags'.

Have you run sfc?

7. hexaae Win User
    Yes, SFC /scannow reports no integrity issues.

hexaae, Oct 22, 2017
  8. hexaae Win User

Trying to rename C:\Windows\bootstat.dat it says "The action can't be completed because the file is open in System".
    All advanced permissions and owner are correctly set compared with another PC with Windows 10 1703 (where I can rename the file).

hexaae, Oct 22, 2017
  9. hexaae Win User
    News
    A friend of mine on a fresh install of Windows 10 x64 1709 reproduced the same problem: the bootstat.dat is forever locked by System task!
    This makes the restore points fail on restore-reboot.

Generic Windows 1709 bug with restore points?

hexaae, Oct 29, 2017
  10. jimi Win User
    I too have the same issue, are there any solutions?

11. hexaae Win User
    This is a MAJOR issue in Win 10 CFU, but unfortunately Microsoft is ignoring this big problem.

Please, cast your vote +1 here: Feedback Hub - Windows Insider

hexaae, Dec 11, 2017
  12. jimi Win User
    Well i solved with a workaround, booted in a WinPE i used the Sergei Strelec one ( i think a linux live distro would work too) and deleted the bootstat.dat file form windows folder and rebooted the system. I finally manually created a new restore point and tried to restore the system to the restore point previously made and it worked no errors.

13. hexaae Win User

AFAIK Windows recreate bootstat.dat at every next reboot storing data about last successful boot etc.
    Did it recreate a new file on your system and restore point is still working?

hexaae, Dec 12, 2017
  14. jimi Win User
    Yes it did recreate a new non locked bootstat.dat, and the restore point i created after this operation works flawlessly. I did a couple of tests and no issues for now.

15. hexaae Win User
    Ok, I did the same deleting C:\Windows\bootstat.dat using Macrium Reflect (WinPE) boot disk. Let's hope it won't happen again.

hexaae, Dec 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 1709 failed restore point bootstat.dat 0xc0000043 - Similar Threads - 1709 failed restore

2. Restore point failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore point failed: Hello.i try to restore point after unistallation of asus armoury crate and the process stack for hours to restore windows registry.I have norton 360 and disable tamber protection...
  3. Restore point failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore point failed: Hello.i try to restore point after unistallation of asus armoury crate and the process stack for hours to restore windows registry.I have norton 360 and disable tamber protection...
  4. Restore Windows when restore point failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Windows when restore point failed: My laptop is caught in the automatic repair loop, and when I tried to restore a restore point, that method somehow failed. I planned to give it another try but the system showed no restore point was made.Is there another way to restore my Windows apart from the restore point?...
  5. Restore Windows when restore point failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Windows when restore point failed: My laptop is caught in the automatic repair loop, and when I tried to restore a restore point, that method somehow failed. I planned to give it another try but the system showed no restore point was made.Is there another way to restore my Windows apart from the restore point?...
  6. Restore Windows when restore point failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Restore point failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore point failing: Topic says it all. I am trying to restore to an earlier point and it never gets past “initializing” the VERY second it attempt to begin, the PC reboots and give me an error “could not restore from earlier point”My reason for doing this is I followed a guide that was suppose...
  8. System Restore point failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore point failed: I tried doing system restore point, In the process I got stuck so I did force shutdown, later laptop turned on, but I can't install any software and not even able to open Microsoft office. I tried sfc /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth also but there...
  9. Windows 10 Pro 20H2 Restore from restore point fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 Restore from restore point fails: Obviously, there are many posts concerning Windows 10 and restore points and restore failures, etc. Yet I do not see successful conclusions to these posts. Perhaps I am missing something common to all. Here is my issue: I run the the Create Restore Point, label the restore...
  10. Cannot do a system restore. Windows 10. Get error 0xc0000043

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot do a system restore. Windows 10. Get error 0xc0000043: Cannot do a system restore. Windows 10. Get error 0xc0000043 My security package is turned off. Please can any one help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-do-a-system-restore-windows-10-get-error/f2d598f0-ab85-4b34-8a3a-2363c5ffcb3e

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootstat windows 10

2. bootstat.dat windows 10

3. Failed to process bootstat dat

4. bootsat*.* microsoft,
  5. system restore failed in delayed delete operation for the file,
  6. deleting bootstat.dat,
  7. windows bootstat dat,
  8. failed in delayed delete bootstat.dat,
  9. delay in delete bootstat.dat,
  10. \ ?? \ volume{e6c8f62f-5071-4c4f-bdae-c9dca4ceb548} \ windows \ bootstat.dat failed in delayed delete,
  11. Windows 10 pro bootstat.dat problem,
  12. windows 10 system restore failed delay delte bottstat.dat,
  13. is bootstat dat safe?,
  14. bootstat.dat retore point,
  15. windows 10 restore error 0xc0000043