Windows 10: windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile

Discus and support windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; The update seems to have installed fine, except, my default desktop and user folders don't open like they used to. It seems that the update has created... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ukmexicano, Nov 22, 2017.

1. windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile

The update seems to have installed fine, except, my default desktop and user folders don't open like they used to. It seems that the update has created a new user profile and is using that one instead of my old one!

My original folders were under:

This PC/Users/Mark but it now defaults to This PC/ Users/Mark.MY-LIFE

Can someone PLEASE explain to me, in very simple terms, how to to get all my desktop icons and folders back without having to search for them all the time?

Thanks for any help.

:)

ukmexicano, Nov 22, 2017

2. User Profiles not uploading at Start

Hi,

After I got the Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 (KB4058043) on Dec 16, 2017 my profile(s) are not getting uploaded at start. It seems there is a kind of "Default" profile being uploaded but it has only the basic stuff
    with minimum applications that I am not interested on- None of my programs are showing up whatsoever !!! -.

I checked the user folders and it seems all the information is there but the computer keeps uploading, I'm assuming it is W10 "default" profile, with minimum applications.

I removed the update following Microsoft instructions and rebooted the computer to the previous update but the Default profile is getting uploaded at startup.

In C:\Users there is a Default folder but it is totally empty.

I need to resolve this issue URGENTLY.

Thank you

Ernie Bauer, Nov 22, 2017
  3. Mikeua Win User
    Cannot create a new user account that can be login.

It usually is a bad idea to just copy the default user profile from another computer because there are slight variations between platforms, builds, and editions of windows 10. Are you already on windows 10 version 1709? If not, your best bet would be

to upgrade to 1709 first ( this is the latest build) from Download Windows 10. The upgrade also updates the default user folder. You would then need to recreate the profile that is causing errors. The new profile

should be error free. The upgrade could take a couple of hours however so it might be a good idea start it and let it run overnight.

Mikeua, Nov 22, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile

Brink, Nov 22, 2017
  5. Thanks Brink. You're a life saver. Very much appreciated *Smile
    Can I now safely delete that profile?

ukmexicano, Nov 22, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Yes, you can safely delete the other profile folder, but I would recommend to double check to make sure there's nothing in the folder you may want to keep.

Brink, Nov 22, 2017
  7. Checked and dumped!! *Smile Thanks again Brink.

ukmexicano, Nov 22, 2017
  8. windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile

brink, I just wanted to thank you very very VERY much indeed for your wonderfully clear instructions for fixing a user profile.

Having spent well over a day trying to sort the problem out on my home pc last month (i.e. my user profile having been replaced by a new one following a Windows 10 update) - including hours on chat with Microsoft 'support' and a lot of tearing of hair, etc - I was extremely dismayed to find on Tuesday that the office computer had suffered from the same fate.

So great good fortune indeed that I came across this thread plus the tutorial link!

It was a nerve-racking business, as I'm not particularly tech-savvy, but the clarity of your instructions enabled me to edit the registry and - thank god - things are finally back to normal.

Now just need to persevere with the ongoing problem of why the brand new office Logitech webcam refuses to work on this machine! *Smile

rosefromuk, Jan 24, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help Rose, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile

1. windows 10 1709 has changed my default user profile - Similar Threads - 1709 has changed

2. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  3. User Profile Name by Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile Name by Default: Hi everyone, my Microsoft email id is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, when on clean install i enter this email to login the user profile name under " C:\user\mail2 " shows like this.I want to know is there a way to change this " C:\user\mail2 " to " C:\user\...
  4. Windows 10 User Profile Randomly Reset to Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 User Profile Randomly Reset to Default: I turned my computer on this morning and all of a sudden I got an error when signing in saying User Profile Service Failed. Unable to Sign In. After I saw this I tried to sign in a few more times but was met with the same error, I then proceeded to reboot my PC, after which I...
  5. Restore my User Profile as default in Window 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore my User Profile as default in Window 10: I'm using Windows 10-64 on an HP laptop - Suddenly today, 5/26/2021, my "User" profile disappeared - I can still see my profile WINDOWSC:>USERS - but my computer now acts like a brand new computer waiting to be set up. How do I restore myself as the "Default User" ? How do I...
  6. Windows user creation and change the default user profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows user creation and change the default user profile: Hi everyone, This is the first time i use this site so I have no idea how it works, anyway... In the company where I work we need to create different users but with the same applications and configurations, but on different PCs. I tried to use the guide to enable...
  7. User Profile Changed Into Backup and logged in using a default new profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User Profile Changed Into Backup and logged in using a default new profile: recently on 18-8-2020 my pc updated automatically . after the upate as i logged in my laptop .... it was as if i bought a new computer and there were no files in my desktop and other folders. when went in The Pc- Users- {My Main Account Username } i found all my files in...
  8. Windows 10 - changing default user

Windows 10 - changing default user: I giving my computer to my friend. I want to change the default user i already created a new admin user and make sure they cam access appstore and has microsoft edge. Then i want to remove my profile original default profile completely. How do i do this with windows 10?...
  9. Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10

Changing Default New User Profiles on Windows 10: I'm trying to figure out how to change the default new user profile on WIndows 10. I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology, but I'll describe what I'm trying to do. Whenever I add a new local user, I'd like that account to be customized a certain way. This way I don't...
  10. Default user profile startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Default user profile startup: I added a user profile for my wife to my PC, but for some reason the PC always boots tmher profile and Imhave to sign myself in. Is there a way t make my profile the default. Have removed the need for login with netplwiz. thanks UPDATE found the answer in netplwiz just had...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 has changed my profile

2. Has my windows profile change from my Windows 10 tablet