Windows 10: Windows 10 1709. How do I reset the default for an application extension association?

Discus and support Windows 10 1709. How do I reset the default for an application extension association? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi guys, I am currently using windows 10 build 1709. I set the default for an extension of .flv files to a program made for creating .flv files but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dcook1313, Jul 31, 2018.

1. dcook1313 Win User

Windows 10 1709. How do I reset the default for an application extension association?

Hi guys,

I am currently using windows 10 build 1709. I set the default for an extension of .flv files to a program made for creating .flv files but it evidently can not play them. I need to set up the actual video player to be associated with the .flv extension. When I go into choose default apps by file type the only options I have are the program I already selected or to select an "app" from the store. There does not seem to be an option to just reset it back to the default. I actually tried grabbing an "app" for this from the store that but every time I try to download anything from the store it just stops after a couple of seconds.

At the very least I would like to be able to just disassociate .flv files with the program obs64, but I do not see an option to disconnect it.

Is there a registry entry that I might be able to change or remove or something?

thank you again.

:)

dcook1313, Jul 31, 2018

2. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jul 31, 2018
  3. CherylA Win User
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not to pester you, but it is inconvenient to "open with" every single time, and I remain quite perplexed why every other possible file extension appears to be listed in "Settings/System/Default apps/CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE" but not .zip. It has always been possible prior to Windows 10 to associate ANY file extension with a default program. I'm not sure what you mean by ".zip is not listed by default." How else would one permanently associate a program with a file extension? The link I gave you, provided again below, as well as others I could find - indicates that that other people have .zip listed in their file type listings. Have you checked your listings available at location I've specified above? I have ... .yps, .z, .z96... and no .zip. Do you not see a .zip extension either but see essentially all others? Link: unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.

CherylA, Jul 31, 2018
  4. Windows 10 1709. How do I reset the default for an application extension association?

How Do I Modify Application Associations in Windows 10 1709

I am trying to setup a GPO to define Adobe Acrobat Reader as the default application for PDF files. All the methods that I find online require using DISM to export the current associations so that I can use a GPO to import those associations to all users
    using a GPO. It seems impossible to export the current associations in any version of Windows 10 after 1611. Seeing as Windows 10 now does not allow applications to change the extension association how are we supposed to control application associations
    in Windows 10 1709.

I have many users that do not want to use Edge to view PDF file and much prefer using Adobe Reader. Why is it that Microsoft needs to make things more difficult with each new version of Windows? I understand why this change has been made but when making
    these changes we need to have a clear way of being able to control the things that we were able to control before the change.

George Perolli, Jul 31, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 1709. How do I reset the default for an application extension association?

1. Windows 10 1709. How do I reset the default for an application extension association? - Similar Threads - 1709 reset default

2. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  3. Change default file extension for application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default file extension for application: I am using the windows 11 photo app. The default file extension is .NEF. Is there a way to change this to .TIFF or some other format? I use a photo editing tool that will not open .NEF and it means exporting the file and saving as to change the extension. I would like the...
  4. How do i remove default file associations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i remove default file associations: I accidentally changed what .jar files open with, so they only opened with notepad. Whenever I downloaded them they appeared as notepad files, making them unusable for me since I use them to mod games in my spare time :...
  5. how do i remove a application from a extension

how do i remove a application from a extension: I have notepad set to a extension and I want to remove it because I cannot use the extension in the correct way with it. It needs to be 'choose a default' and I don't know how to remove it. Every place I search is too complicated. Thanks....
  6. Windows 10 resets file associations to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resets file associations to default: Why does Windows 10 change my file associations every day to force me to use Edge to open Adobe PDF files? Edge is an unacceptable substitute for Adobe Acrobat Professional. Windows also changes my photo-editing preference to Photos no matter how much I want my own choice....
  7. Default applications: Create an association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I...
  8. Default applications: Create an association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I turned it on, and I went to play Roblox. When...
  9. Default applications: Create an association

Default applications: Create an association: Default applications: Create an association Default applications: Create an association.Windows 10 Hello, im Mar, I want help with something that has happened with my computer, here's what happened :Okay, since like 4 days, my computer lagged so I decided to turn it off, I...
  10. resetting default appilcation associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    resetting default appilcation associations: At work we have a software program that several times a day will erase my default program associations for : Http, https, PDF, jpeg, mailto. So several times a day I need to manually re associate firefox, paint, adobe, outlook. It is annoying. I think the program that does it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reset file associations windows 10 1709