Windows 10: Windows 10 1803 changes default settings on PC

Discus and support Windows 10 1803 changes default settings on PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. I just discovered that my keyboard had switched to English (US) instead of English (UK)> I assume this happened after installing 1803 recently.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EdWarne, Jul 19, 2018.

1. EdWarne Win User

Windows 10 1803 changes default settings on PC

Hi. I just discovered that my keyboard had switched to English (US) instead of English (UK)> I assume this happened after installing 1803 recently. Other settings appear to have been altered, also. After changing the settings, I kept getting messages that "Something has happened and we can't install a feature". I hadn't asked for any features to be installed and clicking the "Find out more" button didn't seem to tell me (unless it was the highlighted "English (US)Handwriting", at the top of the list, which I don't want or need (being in the UK).

What is going on?

:)

EdWarne, Jul 19, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 19, 2018
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jul 19, 2018
  4. Windows 10 1803 changes default settings on PC

1803 problem with default app settings

I made a similar post a few weeks ago but there have been a couple of updates since the 1803 roll out. There are slight changes, but problem is still there.

My defaults issue started with 1803. I used Settings>Apps>Default Apps> to reset the defaults for 3 apps:

• Browser→ Opera
    • PDF viewer→ Acrobat
    • Photos→ Irfanview
    Every time I reboot, the browser & pdf viewer defaults revert to Edge. The Photos default reverts to the Windows photo viewer. When I reset my choices in Settings>Apps>Default Apps> my programs run as expected. The file icons change to the new apps,
    & files open in the right program. Everything is fine till I reboot & they get reset again to the Windows defaults. When my apps are no longer set as default apps, I can launch them from shortcuts & they perform as expected. The only issue is the defaults
    reverting to Windows apps on reboot.

I've used these defaults for years with no problem. The settings were fine before 1803. I don't know but I don't think it's a compatibility issue since the programs still run as they should. What happened? Is there a way to fix it?

grendel_won, Jul 19, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 1803 changes default settings on PC

1. Windows 10 1803 changes default settings on PC - Similar Threads - 1803 changes default

2. Changing default power settings for Windows 10 deployment.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default power settings for Windows 10 deployment.: Hello everyone, I've been struggling to find a way to set the default power plan AND power mode for any new Windows 10 computers that get imaged through MDT. As far as I can tell, 'power plan' is the options you can see in the Control Panel, whereas 'power mode' is the...
  3. Change default setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default setting: How do I change the default setting on the weather tile please RayTJ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-setting/be9c01ab-63da-4000-96f3-d6bb0314bae5
  4. changing default setting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    changing default setting: I have set my laptop to open a .dav document with Widows Media Player. However, that can't do it so I now wish to change to another programme that will open it but can't work out how to....
  5. Windows 10 1803 default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 1803 default browser: Hi, I would like to use Firefox but I cannot find a way to set it as default browser, in particular when I open a search result from "start menu" Edge is fired up instead of Firefox; i searched but i'm not able to find a solution. Is it possible to set Firefox as default...
  6. Windows 10 1803 default browser

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 1803 default browser: Hi, I would like to use Firefox but I cannot find a way to set it as default browser, in particular when I open a search result from "start menu" Edge is fired up instead of Firefox; i searched but i'm not able to find a solution. Is it possible to set Firefox as default...
  7. Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC: How to: Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC How to Set, Change, or Clear Default Location for Windows 10 PC Some apps need to know when youre in a specific location to work correctly. For instance, if youve asked an app to remind you to buy bread...
  8. Can't change default storage settings in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change default storage settings in windows 10: Hi - I just bought an ACER Spin 513-52N-530. I use Dropbox to store my files and data. I went to Windows Settings (STORAGE ==> "Change where new content is saved") , and when I tried to change the default save locations shown in each of the dropdown boxes from "This PC (C:)",...
  9. changing default settings

in Browsers and Email
    changing default settings: I have office 2013 and use outlook for my email. When I delete a message it goes into my trash folder and not my deleted folder. Plus the trash folder keeps only a few days of deleted emai9ls. How can I change outlook to send deleted items to the deleted folder and also keep...
  10. Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10 How to Change Default Icon for This PC in Windows 10 [img] Information "My Computer" is now called "This PC" in Windows 10. This tutorial will show you how to change the default icon used for This PC to any icon...