Windows 10: Windows 10 1803 upgrade breaks Windows Media Player (error 0xc000005)

Discus and support Windows 10 1803 upgrade breaks Windows Media Player (error 0xc000005) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi guys, I recently upgraded Windows 10 from 1709 to 1803. Everything went fine, except one thing: Windows Media Player does no longer work. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Joerg, May 6, 2018.

1. Joerg Win User

Windows 10 1803 upgrade breaks Windows Media Player (error 0xc000005)

Hi guys,

I recently upgraded Windows 10 from 1709 to 1803. Everything went fine, except one thing: Windows Media Player does no longer work. I am using a 64bit OS; the system obviously is using the 32bit version of Media Player.

Problem description

When I doubleclick a video, e.g. an mp4 file, chances are that Windows Media Player opens, no video and no sound appears, and then it closes again. Sometimes, playback of the video starts, but after one or two seconds it stutters, then stops and then Media Player closes again. Sometimes Media Player does not show up at all, but instead I only get a message that Media Player could not start and I can only press ok.

I have the feeling that this error also might depend on the size of the video opened: For bigger videos, e.g. 1,5GB, I have the above problems. For smaller videos playback does work (sometimes). When I use VLC Media Player, the videos can be played.

I have already checked the Windows event log and it shows error 0xc0000005. This error code always is the same. The error offset in contrast is different sometimes. Attached is a screenshot of the complete log entry.

What I have tried (and what did not work)

I have tried rebooting the PC, which did not change the symptoms. I have also tried uninstalling Windows Media Player (through the "install features" functionality of Windows) and then I reinstalled it. The problem however remains.

What should I do to resolve this issue?

Cheers!

:)

Joerg, May 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 1803 upgrade breaks Windows Media Player (error 0xc000005)

1. Windows 10 1803 upgrade breaks Windows Media Player (error 0xc000005) - Similar Threads - 1803 upgrade breaks

2. Error 0xc1900101 or 0xc000005 when trying to upgrade to windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error 0xc1900101 or 0xc000005 when trying to upgrade to windows 11: I am trying to update to Windows 11 from windows 10 and keep getting either Error 0xc1900101 or 0xc000005 I have tried the ISO method, the windows update method and the install assistant.I have run chkdsc, fsck and DISM tools with no luck.I have tried resetting the windows...
  3. Error 0xc1900101 or 0xc000005 when trying to upgrade to windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0xc1900101 or 0xc000005 when trying to upgrade to windows 11: I am trying to update to Windows 11 from windows 10 and keep getting either Error 0xc1900101 or 0xc000005 I have tried the ISO method, the windows update method and the install assistant.I have run chkdsc, fsck and DISM tools with no luck.I have tried resetting the windows...
  4. Windows media player error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows media player error: why does windows media player say it has encountered a problem when i go to burn my songs onto my cd but never gives me a reason or explanation? it works sometimes then other times it says the same thing. how do i fix this?...
  5. Windows media player error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows media player error: why does windows media player say it has encountered a problem when i go to burn my songs onto my cd but never gives me a reason or explanation? it works sometimes then other times it says the same thing. how do i fix this?...
  6. Windows Media Player Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Media Player Error: When trying to sync a playlist from Windows Media Player for Windows 10 to an SD card, I am getting the following message: Windows Media Player encountered a problem while syncing the file to the device. Any ideas how to fix it please?...
  7. Windows Media Player errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Media Player errors: How come that every second update or so of MS Windows 10 causes an error in using the sound device in using Media Player. This is a known error by MS, (aka Bug), as they give as solution to roll back to the previous restore point. Normally a fix is applied in a couple of...
  8. windows media player error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows media player error: What do I do about fixing windows media player error 0x8889000f https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-error/7cb2ccdb-1c86-4bfe-a969-c4b3867707a0
  9. window media player error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    window media player error: I am having trouble downloading videos on cd it will get all the way to finializing on the cd and then the cd won't play https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/window-media-player-error/e6aa5d34-9c4f-411a-bb79-9f0c081a13b3
  10. windows media player for win 10 Home version 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows media player for win 10 Home version 1803: I think i need to use playstore app = bubbleupnp app to view photos on my smart tv. I think I need windows media player to do this. I cannot find the Windows Media player download (version 12 ?) Do you think I need to view photos from Google Photos this way? Or is there...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1803 0xc000005

2. windows media player in windows 10 1803