Windows 10: Windows 10/7 Dualboot doesnt boot / error

Discus and support Windows 10/7 Dualboot doesnt boot / error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I wanted to install windows 7 and 10 dualboot. I was running windows 10 on my ssd. I created a new partition on my hdd, removed my ssd (with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drpas, Aug 22, 2017.

1. drpas Win User

Windows 10/7 Dualboot doesnt boot / error

Hello,
    I wanted to install windows 7 and 10 dualboot. I was running windows 10 on my ssd.
    I created a new partition on my hdd, removed my ssd (with windows 10 on it) and then i installed windows 7 on the hdd partition.
    Windows 7 was successfully installed so I reinserted my ssd. I thought i could just select my boot device and then load into the windows installed on said device but when i tried to boot from my ssd it loaded windows 7.... (in windows 7 i see my ssd and i see the windows 10 files on it so no, i didnt install it on the ssd....)
    Next thing i tried was to use easybcd, so i tried adding my ssd as windows os to the boot list but when i restarted i got an error saying my winload.exe is corrupted.
    How do i fix this problem? I heared you have to install windows 7 first and than windows 10 for a dual boot gui so should i try to install windows 10 via the upgrade function on my ssd again?
    thanks in advance for helping me.

:)

drpas, Aug 22, 2017

2. OS gives an BOOT error or some other serious problem and EMS

OMG I JUST SAID A FEW POSTS UP "if so how would i be able to add Phoenix OS to the boot manager config in windows 10 UEFI" SO OBVIOSLY I HAVE THE DUAL BOOT FILES SITTING ON MY LAPTOP HDD IN ANOTHER PARTITION BUT IT IS NOT CURRENTLY SET UP FOR DUALBOOTING
    AS WITH EVERY TIME U INSTALL OR REINSTALL AN OS (MAINLY WINDOWS) THE BCD RESETS AND ERASES ALL INFORMATION AND REPLACES IT WITH THE OS UR INSTALLING'S INFO, WHEN I WAS IN WINDOWS 7 EVERY TIME I RESET MY PC TO FACTORY STATE I HAD TO REINSTALL THE OS (run the
    phoenix 1.7.0 beta.exe) JUST TO GET IT TO DUAL BOOT AGAIN, BASICALLY IT IS LIKE THIS

INSTALL NEW WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

REINSTALL WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

DOWNGRADE WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

UPGRADE WINDOWS OS = LOOSE ABILITY TO DUAL BOOT

REASON Y? THE BCD IS EDITED WHILE INSTALLING AN OS AND DEPENDING ON THE OS INSTALL SETTINGS IF IT HAS ANY, IT EITHER INSTALLS AS DUALBOOT WITH A SPECIFIC OS, EG DUALBOOT WINDOWS 10 AND WINDOWS 7, DUALBOOT WITH UR EXISTING OS('S), OR ONLY LAUNCH THE OS ITSELF
    (eg upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 and u will loose ur dualboot config and nolonger be able to dual boot until u rerun the installer u used to install the dualboot os wich i have not done yet)

MatthewGood, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Problem to boot to windows-10

I installed fedora-24 with dualboot to windows-10, everything was fine until i thought to go back to windows for some work it showed an error stating that...

"error: file '/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi' not found.

error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue..."

Please help me i really need windows-10 than fedora...!!!

Abhilash15071994, Aug 22, 2017
  4. drpas Win User

Edit: I cant use the upgrade option, since windows is already installed...

drpas, Aug 22, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum. You install the old o/s first as it may not understand new boot options. The screen shot from disk manager can you post it full size to we can see all the detail as it we cant see. Is this a MBR drive. The other problem disk manager not being in english I cant undersatand what it says

Samuria, Aug 22, 2017
  6. drpas Win User
    The ssd is not an mbr drive (tried bootrec /RebuildBcd but i get Element not found error so i tried to set it to active and got "not an mbr..." error)
    I attached full size picture and if you cant read, i will try to install another language *Wink (might take some time because i dont have windows ultimate and my partition is full)

drpas, Aug 22, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    win 10 is using efui parition. Swap the disk around on the mother board so win10 drive is drive 0 make sure its set to boot that drive in the bios see if it boot win10 then. See if we can get that going first

Samuria, Aug 22, 2017
  8. drpas Win User

Swapping the hardware or do something in the bios? Because swapping the hardware will be a problem (windows 10 = m.2 ssd and Windows 7 = Sata hdd ) Btw i think I know what the problem is, before I installed windows 7 the ssd was C (now its E) and the HDD was D (now its C)

drpas, Aug 22, 2017
  9. Samuria Win User
    You ether need to try removing win 7 drive and see if 10 boots ok or set 10 to be first boot device in the bios we need to have 10 booting first step

Samuria, Aug 22, 2017
  10. drpas Win User
    I removed the windows 7 hdd and it said "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or inerst boot media in selected boot device and press a key" (I selected the ssd to boot)

drpas, Aug 22, 2017
  11. drpas Win User
    no i got error: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or inerst boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

drpas, Aug 22, 2017
  12. You are likely going to need a third-party app to handle your booting, since you installed the older OS after the newer one.

Or, as a better suggestion, repair your Windows 10 so it boots, then virtualize Windows 7. Very little, if any reason to multi-boot anymore, and it's much safer for your overall system.

DeaconFrost, Aug 22, 2017
  13. drpas Win User

Yeah a virtualization would also work, so how am I supposed to repair it? I already tried fixmbr and everything via the Windows Installer on my USB.

drpas, Aug 22, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    Try this - it usually works in this sort of case -

Install Macrium Reflect Free (on another pc if necessary).

Create Macrium Rescue USB flash drive.

Boot from it and select "fix windows boot problems"

With luck, it will detect both OSs and rebuild boot files and boot ok.

cereberus, Aug 22, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    The problem is that you have the Windows 10 SSD which is GPT partitioned and using UEFI to boot. Then you have the Windows 7 HDD which is MBR partitioned and using legacy BIOS mode (CSM) to boot. So not only do you have to select which physical drive to boot from, but you also have to change the boot mode between UEFI and CSM (legacy BIOS mode). You need to convert the Windows 10 SSD to MBR and set it up for legacy BIOS mode (CSM) booting. That means making a backup image of the Windows 10 OS partition only, convert the SSD to MBR, restore the Windows 10 image back to it, and then add the legacy BIOS mode boot files to it.

In order to boot Windows 10 now without changing anything you need to go back and set the UEFI firmware to boot it in UEFI mode - the error you are getting when you try to boot Windows 10 is because you are trying to boot it in legacy BIOS (CSM) mode which is what was required for you to boot the Windows 7.

The changing drive letters C: to E: and D: to C: is normal when dual booting. The OS, when it boots, will always give itself C: by default and assign other drive letters to the rest of the drives/partitions.

NavyLCDR, Aug 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10/7 Dualboot doesnt boot / error - Similar Threads - Dualboot doesnt boot

2. Windows Boot Manager/Dualboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Boot Manager/Dualboot: When i run Windows 7 Setup and install it to another drive like Volume 2 F: will it show to Windows Boot Manager like the picture shown:ignore Windows Vista by the way...
  3. Windows Boot Manager/Dualboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Boot Manager/Dualboot: When i run Windows 7 Setup and install it to another drive like Volume 2 F: will it show to Windows Boot Manager like the picture shown:ignore Windows Vista by the way...
  4. Windows Boot Manager/Dualboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Dualbooting windows 10 and windows 7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dualbooting windows 10 and windows 7: Hi, i have a question umm i have a hard drive from my broken laptop and it still have a windows 7 on it, if i booted on my windows 7 will my main machine which has windows 10 will the files on my windows 10 will lose?im only gonna transfer some of my pictures and files into...
  6. DualBoot Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DualBoot Windows 10: i have hdd with windows 10 installed on it and i just got myself a ssd today since there's still some data left on my old windows i chose to dualboot my windows installation on my ssd so it's much easier to move my data later on. but something weird happened, the system drive...
  7. dualboot Windows 10 and Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dualboot Windows 10 and Windows 7: Hello. I want to dual-boot my laptop which has windows 10 po x64 version 1909 with windows 7. I already have windows 10 installed but i want windows 7 too. I saw some videos on youtube and some articles on the internet but i'm not very sure about this. I extracted an iso...
  8. Dualboot - problems with booting

Dualboot - problems with booting: Hello, some weeks ago I uninstalled Ubuntu. I had Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu 20.04 / dualboot. Today I found if I start laptop, I still see Windows Boot Manager and ubuntu in boot menu. How can I delete ubuntu there please? See attachment...
  9. Dualboot Windows 10 and Windows 7

Dualboot Windows 10 and Windows 7: Ok so I successfully dualbooted windows 10 and windows 7, and a blue screen pops up everytime I turn on the computer and asks me what I want to boot into, ok. What I want to know is if there is a way that the computer automatically boots into windows 10 and doesnt ask you...
  10. Windows 7 and Windows 10 dualboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 7 and Windows 10 dualboot: Hi guys, I'd like you to show me easiest tutorial on dual booting those OS,with keeping current Windows 7 installation intact if possible. 145014