Windows 10: Windows 10 & 8.1 dualboot concerns

Discus and support Windows 10 & 8.1 dualboot concerns in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So i have a dualboot of Windows 8.1 & 10 installed the normal way (device manager> shrink to create a new partition, usb stick etc.) and was wondering... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by otokou, Oct 27, 2015.

1. otokou Win User

Windows 10 & 8.1 dualboot concerns

So i have a dualboot of Windows 8.1 & 10 installed the normal way (device manager> shrink to create a new partition, usb stick etc.) and was wondering if deleting the drive letter of the other OS will be enough to prevent them from messing up each other? If not, can i get clear instructions on what to do? Both were installed on the same SSD (Samsung 500GB 850 EVO) in MBR partitions with BIOS boot mode. Also anything to do about HDD? I disabled hibernation in both OS using cmd commands (powercfg -h off).

Disk0: [System Reserved:350mt][D:233Gt][C:231Gt]
    Disk1: [E:1800Gt]

:)

otokou, Oct 27, 2015
  2. mdobrenko Win User

Is it possible to reinstall Windows 10 and completely reset UEFI options

In short, I have a dualboot (or did) and I think something went wrong at one point, modifying entries and the like: Ubuntu/Windows 10 Dualboot - Grub missing

I ended up just installing windows over again, but I would prefer to have a dualboot, and figured if I could get the computer to a state in which it first came (BIOS, UEFI and all) I could install it again (as I was able to at some point).

mdobrenko, Oct 27, 2015
  3. One or more network protocols are missing: Windows Sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing.

First I'll say I'm on a "Desktop PC" not a "Laptop" or "chromebook" or anything like that. It doesn't have wifi.

So I just installed Win10 then my internet didn't work. Tried searching up every single thing on internet. I did a dualboot now (Windows 8.1 and Windows 10) I did try "Troubleshoot" thing and I got "One or more network protocols
    are missing", but it has no option to solve automatically. And the dualboot is totally useless (Windows 10 - no internet connection at all; while Windows 8.1 - Has internet connection and works JUST FINE!)

Specs:

8GB Ram

Intel Core i3-4170

Nvidia GeForce GT610

Router/internet box thing: Huawei EchoLife HG8245

Okay, I just decided to see advanced troubleshoot details. Updated title, now this is the actual reason. I hope it gets a fix sooner

BloxxingBlocks, Oct 27, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

How are they messing each other up? What are they doing?

essenbe, Oct 27, 2015
  5. They should not be interfering with each other. Can you be specific about what problems you are having?

Cbarnhorst, Oct 27, 2015
  6. otokou Win User
    I am not having any issues, but was thinking if i should do something before it happens because i can see Windows 8.1 drive when im on Windows 10 and vice versa

otokou, Oct 27, 2015
  7. essenbe Win User
    That's perfectly normal.

essenbe, Oct 27, 2015
  8. Windows 10 & 8.1 dualboot concerns

As long as Windows 10 is installed second, no issues. If you do encounter something I use EasyBCD2.2 for managing multi-boot systems. I recommend it even if you don't have a problem.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 27, 2015
  9. otokou Win User
    Thanks for answers. Yes i installed windows 10 second. Gotta look into that easybcd2.2. I deleted the drive letters for now so i can't see the other os and accidentally mix something up.

otokou, Oct 27, 2015
  10. I simply name the drives things like "Windows 10" and "Windows 8." Clever, huh?

Cbarnhorst, Oct 27, 2015
  11. otokou Win User
    Some kind of squirrel humour i don't get? *Biggrin Anyway, thanks all.

Edit: I do have one more question: Now that i can see the same 1800Gt HDD in both OS, would it be safe to partition it in half for them and again hide the partition letter? I mean, if you install stuff that isn't compatible or potentially harmful for the other OS, you wouldn't want it to be there or would it have no effect?

otokou, Oct 27, 2015
  12. Depends what you mean by hiding the partition letter. If you mean creating a registry key that shows a partition as not available then I suppose so, but that was a maneuver to keep XP from wiping out VSS files when dual booted with Vista and later. I wouldn't worry about something like that with the currently supported versions of Windows.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 27, 2015
  13. otokou Win User

Allright, Squirrel and Obi-Wan Kenobi, always appreciate being able to borrow your wisdom.

hiding partition letter: disk management > right click partition > Change Drive Letter and Paths > Delete letter so the partition disappears for the OS. My concern is if some programs can install stuff to the hidden partitions even if it was hidden.

otokou, Oct 27, 2015
  14. It's not "hibernation" per se that causes problems, it's Fast Startup. When I was first running Win8.1 and the Win10 preview, I kept getting forced CHKDSKs every time I tried to access a shared partition from either OS. When I was running Win8.1 alone, I didn't have such problems.

Then, I read about Fast Startup. This forces Windows to go into hibernation even if you choose Shut Down and when this happens, all open partitions remain mounted, preventing access to those partitions from outside the Windows OS that was running.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win8/10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
    Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
    Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
    At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
    REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F
    In both cases, reboot Windows.

You will need to disable it BOTH in Win8x and Win10.

After I did that, I no longer had any filesystem problems.

Mark Phelps, Oct 28, 2015
  15. Dude Win User
    @Cbarnhorst I am wondering why you say this, could you explain please? I have installed both OS's no matter what order and they worked fine.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 & 8.1 dualboot concerns - Similar Threads - dualboot concerns

2. Windows 7 does not detect my LAN cable after dualbooting Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 does not detect my LAN cable after dualbooting Windows 11: Hello i am doing dualbooting windows 11 and windows 7 on a real hardware. After installing Windows 7 Ultimate Windows could not detect my lan cable even though without dualbooting....
  3. Windows 7 does not detect my LAN cable after dualbooting Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 does not detect my LAN cable after dualbooting Windows 11: Hello i am doing dualbooting windows 11 and windows 7 on a real hardware. After installing Windows 7 Ultimate Windows could not detect my lan cable even though without dualbooting....
  4. Install Windows XP and try to dualboot my Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows XP and try to dualboot my Windows 11: I would like to know how to dual-boot Windows XP and Windows 11. Currently, my Windows XP is stored in VirtualBox, and I prefer not to reinstall it to save time.Unfortunately, when I tried to install it on my x64 bit laptop, the BIOS displayed the message "No bootable device...
  5. Install Windows XP and try to dualboot my Windows 11

Install Windows XP and try to dualboot my Windows 11: I would like to know how to dual-boot Windows XP and Windows 11. Currently, my Windows XP is stored in VirtualBox, and I prefer not to reinstall it to save time.Unfortunately, when I tried to install it on my x64 bit laptop, the BIOS displayed the message "No bootable device...
  6. Dualbooting windows 11 and windows vista.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dualbooting windows 11 and windows vista.: I know, it sounds pretty absurd considering they are 2 VERY different oses. seperated by almost 15 years, but i still want to do this. Ive heard of bootloader issues occuring when people do this, so im not sure if i should attempt this at all or not. Id like some more info to...
  7. Dualbooting windows 11 and windows vista.

Dualbooting windows 11 and windows vista.: I know, it sounds pretty absurd considering they are 2 VERY different oses. seperated by almost 15 years, but i still want to do this. Ive heard of bootloader issues occuring when people do this, so im not sure if i should attempt this at all or not. Id like some more info to...
  8. After installing Windows 10,I had 2 OS,but how to dualboot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After installing Windows 10,I had 2 OS,but how to dualboot?: I installed Windows 10 and Windows 11 inside my Lenovo ideapad 330S laptop,but how to dualboot it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-installing-windows-10i-had-2-osbut-how-to/5e3688ff-ec8c-4a27-9803-96f461248647
  9. After installing Windows 10,I had 2 OS,but how to dualboot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing Windows 10,I had 2 OS,but how to dualboot?: I installed Windows 10 and Windows 11 inside my Lenovo ideapad 330S laptop,but how to dualboot it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-installing-windows-10i-had-2-osbut-how-to/5e3688ff-ec8c-4a27-9803-96f461248647
  10. After installing Windows 10,I had 2 OS,but how to dualboot?