Windows 10: Windows 10 activated on image on different spec PC?

Discus and support Windows 10 activated on image on different spec PC? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I hope the activation experts here can shed some light on something I inadvertantly experienced over the weekend. I have two systems; a Win 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TenneR, Jun 12, 2017.

1. TenneR Win User

Windows 10 activated on image on different spec PC?

I hope the activation experts here can shed some light on something I inadvertantly experienced over the weekend.

I have two systems; a Win 10 Pro laptop (which I believe has the product key embedded into the UEFI bios - confirmed by Powershell command?) and a standard desktop PC (Powershell returns error).

The two systems are in no way identical - laptop having SSD and desktop haing mechanical HDD for example; not to mention motherboards and NIC.

After imaging the laptop and restoring the image to the PC for testing, I would not usually install the network card driver, but for some reason I did on this ocassion. Unbeknownst to me, I had the cable plugged in whilst booting up from the restored image on the desktop PC (not something I would usually do anyway), but to my surprise, Windows activated!

This is an image with a currently in-use product key (on the laptop) but on completely different hardware - why would it activate? Is it because of the image?

Usually, when I restore an image to a completely different system, it says 'connect to internet to get activated' (or similar) as it detects a significant hardware change (that's my understanding).

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have affected the validity of the license on the laptop!

I could connect the desktop PC (with a fresh image) to see if it would actiavate again, but as you can appreciate, I don't want to jeopardise the original license.

:)

TenneR, Jun 12, 2017
  2. E JB Win User

No Lock screen in Windows 10.

'Rolling slideshow'...simply the slideshow after the rainbow screen where images change and sometimes up to 4 images show at the same time...the clock also displays in the lower left of the screen.

I can't activate the display to produce the above...the Lock Screen!?

I have changed the setting for the lock screen many, many times.

The lock screen was OK and ran as above prior to upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1.

A different PC, identical specs, but still Windows 8.1 has never had the lock screen running....although I have tried to activate it a number of times.

3. Cloning OEM Windows 10 Pro to OEM Windows 10 Pro

I have a few new PC's that I purchased off Newegg for a great price. All are the same make and model with identical specs and Windows 10 Pro OS. I want to run updates and install programs on one of the machines, and then clone the first machine using
    Clonezilla and then add that cloned image to the other 3 machines. Each PC has it's own specific OEM activation key. Can I add the cloned image to the other 3 PC's and then activate windows with the key originally assigned to the PC? Each PC will have it's
    own Windows 10 OEM activation key.

Jim1Hurley, Jun 12, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Probably because the desktop had previously qualified for a Win10 Pro digital licence in its own right, either through the free upgrade or installing 10 with a valid key.

The restored image of your laptop could have checked with the activation servers, found a digital licence tied to the desktop's hardware and activated using that. If the desktop had a digital licence for Home rather than Pro the laptop's Pro image shouldn't have activated.

5. TenneR Win User
    Thanks Bree

That reminds me - I forgot to say that the desktop hardware was indeed Win 10 activated but using HOME. I don't recall installing Pro on that configuration.

Also, the last 5 characters of the license matches that on the laptop and not one I recognise as one previously installed.

TenneR, Jun 12, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Odd - let's hope others more versed in 'activation lore' will provide an answer...

7. Superfly Win User
    Please run ADT on each and post reports for them, so that we can compare the two... (If indeed there is an OEM key, mask it.)

Superfly, Jun 12, 2017
  8. TenneR Win User

Thanks Superfly

Will this identify hardware used?

Also, I have overwritten the disk on which the image surprisingly activated on. If I restore another image, it will say connect to internet to get activated. I believe this toll will not work as intended?

TenneR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 activated on image on different spec PC? - Similar Threads - activated image different

2. Moving images to a different folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving images to a different folder: Please advise how to move several images (Pictures) from an existing folder, in which they have been inadvertently placed, to the correct existing folder. Many thanks RayTJ...
  3. Can I buy windows 10 from microsoft and activate it on a different PC?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I buy windows 10 from microsoft and activate it on a different PC?: So my grandad has win7 and as its coming to the end of its life (rip) he has asked me to update him to win10. I want to be able to install it for him as quickly as possible when we get up there so we have time to do some other stuff. If i buy windows 10 home from the...
  4. Can't change my PC Spec.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't change my PC Spec.: I have just acquired another PC, but am unable to erase the existing spec. What can I do to overcome this? 133156
  5. Computer Specs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer Specs: Where can I find my computer specifications for my Lenovo Ideapad 330 ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-specs/c39cbb53-928c-48fe-8635-ea74bb0a6a4c"
  6. Activation Windows with key or activator, what's the difference?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation Windows with key or activator, what's the difference?: I will use license, but some people say to use activator, so I wonder what people lose when they play in "Pirates of the Caribbean" I had Windows 7 Basic with license key on my PC, I upgraded to Windows 10 as was offered, and now my Windows is license? So now I want to...
  7. Customising the Different Image Files on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customising the Different Image Files on Windows 10: Hello Guys, I am trying to customise the various image files (bmp, gif, jpeg, jpg, png, svg, tif and tiff) on Windows 10 and noticed the following: the bmp, gif, png, jpeg, jpg and svg files are all programmed to use the same icon. Changing the icon for one will...
  8. Windows will no longer show different images on different screens

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows will no longer show different images on different screens: It seems I have 3 monitor 3s. As a result, the same image now shows on all 3 screens, as opposed to the way it used to work (where all 3 screens would have different images). Is there a way to fix this? [img] 27858
  9. How fast should a PC run at these specs?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How fast should a PC run at these specs?: Specs: Computer: ACPI x64 based PC Main Hard Drive: HTS721010G9S SCSI (Switching to a better one soon) Display adapter: AMD XFX RADEON HD 6870 1GB Processor(s): AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor 3.20 Ghz 50749
  10. Windows Holographic VR headsets minimum required Windows 10 PC specs

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Holographic VR headsets minimum required Windows 10 PC specs: Today, Microsoft announced full details of the full minimum requirements for PCs to power these experiences: CPU: Intel Core i5 mobile (6th-generation 'Skylake' or 7th-generation 'Kaby Lake') dual-core CPU with hyperthreading or equivalent GPU: Integrated Intel HD Graphics...