Windows 10: Windows 10 activated using generic key

Discus and support Windows 10 activated using generic key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey guys! I have updated my Windows 8.1 system to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool's upgrade option. The upgrade went smoothly, Windows was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Darcorn, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Darcorn Win User

Windows 10 activated using generic key

Hey guys!

I have updated my Windows 8.1 system to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool's upgrade option. The upgrade went smoothly, Windows was activated yet when I checked my key it is the generic key given out to Microsoft Insiders.

I didn't sign up for the Insider program so I'm a little curious. Is my generic key temporary or will it stay as is pemanently?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before

:)

Darcorn, Aug 5, 2015

2. Support

But trying to reinstall Win 10, NONE of the products codes work.

That's because all the free Windows 10 copies use the same generic product key for Home and another generic key for Pro. The generic keys cannot be used to install Windows. They are just dummies.

When you reinstall don't enter anything when you see a place to enter a product key. Just SKIP or NEXT. During the first upgrade Windows 10 inserts the generic key for you. You cannot enter this yourself. This will register the device (if an OS qualified
    to be upgraded to 10 is running).

Beginning with Windows 10 Microsoft is using device activation instead of software activation. No product key is required once Windows 10 has been activated on a device, even if everything is removed and Windows 10 is reinstalled from scratch.
    Only the first upgrade is requried to register the machine as a Registered Windows 10 Device.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 5, 2015
  3. No dual-boot at all?!

Seems the Windows 10 version is now activated using the generic install key somehow. Windows 10 activated using generic key :(

Lovely, you try and do the right thing, they screw you anyway. Windows 10 activated using generic key :(

P.S. It says "Windows 10 on this device is activated using a digital entitlement." As well as "Windows is activated."

And no, there's no OEM-BIOS key present.

meimeiriver2, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Darcorn, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

When you upgrade to the free 10 from an activated Windows 7/8.1 PC, you do not get a product key. The free Windows 10 activation is registered on MS activation servers for your PC instead. That's why you would "skip" entering a key during a clean install if done after you already upgraded to register the activation.

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  5. Darcorn Win User
    Thanks Brink! That means I messed up royally because when Windows Setup asked me for a key during a clean install (my upgrade was activated before) I used the generic key.........Oh well. I think I'll have to do the whole thing again...........

Darcorn, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Darcorn Win User
    Good thing my OS is still fresh then! Will update this topic as needed

Darcorn, Aug 5, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Not necessarily. In an elevated command prompt (run command prompt "as administrator") type slmgr /xpr

That will tell you your license expiration date. If it is permanently activated, you have no problems.

NavyLCDR, Aug 5, 2015
  8. Darcorn Win User

Thanks Navy! I'll do that and report back!

Yep! Slmgr says it's permanently activated. That saved me a lot of work! *Smile))

Darcorn, Aug 5, 2015
  9. If you run the Windows Product Finder (productkey.vbs) it returns a key which I believe is unique to that build.

WightWalker, Aug 5, 2015
  10. Darcorn Win User
    Actually I've used ProduKey but thanks for the suggestion *Smile

Darcorn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 activated using generic key - Similar Threads - activated using generic

2. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  3. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  4. Is it safe using generic key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is it safe using generic key: I installed windows 10 pro with generic key is it safe to use because i dont have a oem or retail key to activate the windows so is safe to use and if it dosent how can i deactivate the key because Iam not able to deactivate the key...
  5. Is it safe using generic key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe using generic key: I installed windows 10 pro with generic key is it safe to use because i dont have a oem or retail key to activate the windows so is safe to use and if it dosent how can i deactivate the key because Iam not able to deactivate the key...
  6. Is it safe using generic key

7. windows 10 generic key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 generic key: i bought a computer last month and today i found out that the windows is activated with generic key i had to clean install in order to get rid of that, after the clean install i was surprised that i got digital license how is that? i didn't pay for it and i believe that...
  8. windows 10 generic key

windows 10 generic key: i bought a computer last month and today i found out that the windows is activated with generic key i had to clean install in order to get rid of that, after the clean install i was surprised that i got digital license how is that? i didn't pay for it and i believe that...
  9. Generic Key Activated My Device

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Generic Key Activated My Device: Hi, I recently purchased a windows key off of eBay - soon learned that what I had purchased was most likely a VLSC key or an MSDN key but I had already activated it. So I ended up uninstalling it from my device by using the command "slmgr /upk". I woke up the next morning...
  10. Windows activation - Showing Generic key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows activation - Showing Generic key: Hello guys, I got my new PC assembled few days back from a local hardware shop. Then I bought Windows 10 Home edition from Microsoft store. Before activating the Windows with the product key I found my PC activating the Windows itself. After searching regarding this...