Windows 10: Windows 10 Activation after Restore

Discus and support Windows 10 Activation after Restore in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I just recently restored my laptop to its factory settings (losing everything) due to an error in which windows was unable to use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Nikandros, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Nikandros Win User

Windows 10 Activation after Restore

Hello,

I just recently restored my laptop to its factory settings (losing everything) due to an error in which windows was unable to use the explorer (Black screen with a courser, no task manager, no taskbar, no nothing).

After this everything seems to be working fine except that windows is asking me to activate W10, having it from factory this seems odd but what is really causing me troubles is that I can't get into the activator. I will open settings, go to updates and security and click on activation, then the setting window will freeze and close. I have already restarted my pc but I can't get into the activation tab by any means.

Please, I need help.

:)

Nikandros, Oct 20, 2017
  2. E JB Win User

Problem after 1709 update.

Cannot activate System Protection and System Restore after the update.

Have always managed to activate them after other major updates/upgrades in Windows 10.

3. Windows 10 Deactivated

You might see this error after installing third-party software that changed system files. Windows activation needs certain system files to complete activation. You can try to restore your PC's system files back to an earlier point
    in time. This will remove any software you installed after that point in time without affecting your personal files. For more info, see the section about restoring from a system restore point in Recovery
    options in Windows 10

Only this option is available for me according to my error code.

But i feel it has to do with Microsoft account only. System restore can fix Activation of windows?

RahulGandhi, Oct 20, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Activation after Restore

Hi Nikandros. Welcome to the TenForums @Nikandros

Here is the tutorial on activation. If you were running 10 it should activate.

Activate Windows 10

If you have access to another machine I think I would download the media creation tool, execute it and get fresh Windows media. Then do a clean install.

Clean Install Windows 10

Is your data safely backed up. Please do not proceed if data is not backed up.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 20, 2017
  5. Nikandros Win User
    Thanks Caledon, but I lack another device at the moment. I thought of trying to activate it by command promt but I just realized by digging in the manuals, warrantys, etc that came with my laptop that it was originaly a win8.1 and I had inmediatly upgraded it to win10, so I lack a product key and instead have a digital license.
    To add to the original post, whenever I try to open Activation in the Settings the window will crash, same if I click in the activation message. Any ideas?

Nikandros, Oct 20, 2017
  6. Okay, first it sounds like you can use on a limited basis.

Back your data up.

Use your browser and get the tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Execute, create key (8GB) and follow the Clean boot install.

Your machine was fingerprinted by MS. You don't need to enter license key, skip it during the clean install.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 20, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member
  8. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017
  9. Nikandros Win User
    Thanks for the Help Cliff but I can't access the activation tab in Updates and Security, that is my problem

Nikandros, Oct 20, 2017
  10. Nikandros Win User
    Ok, I'll try this, wish me luck.

Thanks for the Help Ken

Nikandros, Oct 20, 2017
  11. Nikandros Win User
    It seems to have worked, now Windows recognices my license via my Microsoft account. Thank you very much Ken, owe you one.

Edit to add: the solution seems to be to perform a clean restore from a W10 copy directly from microsoft rather than a restore made from the copy in my computer.

Nikandros, Oct 20, 2017
  12. Yes, if you used the Media Creation Tool it download V1709 onto key. You can use it to upgrade or clean install.

Keep the USB keep as it is bootable media and you may need in the future if windows gets cranky.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Activation after Restore - Similar Threads - Activation Restore

2. Accidentally activated OneDrive - would like to restore all files back to my hard drive and...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally activated OneDrive - would like to restore all files back to my hard drive and...: Hi, I activated OneDrive on my work laptop and immediately regretted it. Initially paused the sync but realized some files were no longer local and some were so decided it was best to allow it to finish with its transfer and go from there. All files synced to One Drive and I...
  3. Accidentally activated OneDrive - would like to restore all files back to my hard drive and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally activated OneDrive - would like to restore all files back to my hard drive and...: Hi, I activated OneDrive on my work laptop and immediately regretted it. Initially paused the sync but realized some files were no longer local and some were so decided it was best to allow it to finish with its transfer and go from there. All files synced to One Drive and I...
  4. Accidentally activated OneDrive - would like to restore all files back to my hard drive and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to trigger restore point creation through GPO or other means with MS Active Directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to trigger restore point creation through GPO or other means with MS Active Directory: Bonjour,I am running a bunch of Windows 10 and 11 in an AD domain with Windows Server 2016.I would like to create restore points on my domain computers but could not find a straight forward way to do that so far.I see some websites stating it is possible through a GPO but it...
  6. How to trigger restore point creation through GPO or other means with MS Active Directory

How to trigger restore point creation through GPO or other means with MS Active Directory: Bonjour,I am running a bunch of Windows 10 and 11 in an AD domain with Windows Server 2016.I would like to create restore points on my domain computers but could not find a straight forward way to do that so far.I see some websites stating it is possible through a GPO but it...
  7. windows activation after restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows activation after restore: After a system restore the activate windows notification comes up. I tried to use wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey in cmd but i got nothingi think this screenshot is saying i do have one...
  8. windows activation after restore

windows activation after restore: After a system restore the activate windows notification comes up. I tried to use wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey in cmd but i got nothingi think this screenshot is saying i do have one...
  9. windows activation after restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Wants to perform system restore but I need to know about activation

Wants to perform system restore but I need to know about activation: I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 Pro and using MS Store I had to reset to factory install, would I lose the Windows Pro upgrade, and have to pay again, or will it reset to the pro edition? I need help...