Windows 10: Windows 10 Activation Help

Discus and support Windows 10 Activation Help in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi Everybody, I updated to Windows 10 last week from what I thought was an activated version of windows 8.1, but now I'm stuck with an "Activate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by LKD532, Jan 15, 2016.

1. LKD532 Win User

Windows 10 Activation Help

Hi Everybody,

I updated to Windows 10 last week from what I thought was an activated version of windows 8.1, but now I'm stuck with an "Activate Windows" watermark in the bottom right of my screen (which goes over everything, not just the desktop) and I was wondering if in order to activate windows I could just buy a new product key, or would I need to re-install windows with the new product key. If anyone could give me any other idea of how to resolve my problem I would be truly grateful.

:)

LKD532, Jan 15, 2016

2. Purchased 6 used Dell OPtiplex Win7 Pro Computers with OEM COA on box, fresh installed win10pro will not activate, what is best solution?

Hello,

As you are facing an issue in activating Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the below Microsoft articles on "Windows activation issues" and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Activation in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Why can't I activate Windows 10?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10751/windows-10-why-activate

Get help with Windows activation errors

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10738/windows-activation-errors

Keep us posted with the status of activation issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Jan 15, 2016
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Activate Windows error Go to Settings to activate Windows.This message appeared just recently, everything seems to be working Ok

Hi,

Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasn’t been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. Depending on how you got your copy of Windows 10, activation will use either
    a digital entitlement or a 25-character product key.

If you upgraded to Windows 10 for free and your PC isn’t activated, make sure you’re running the latest version of
    Windows 10. We’ve made improvements to activation and troubleshooting activation errors.

I suggest you to refer the article below and check if it helps.

Activation in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Why can't I activate Windows 10?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10751/windows-10-why-activate

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jan 15, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

First thing to try is to activate it using your windows 8.1 key (change product key) from activation menu.

Use showkeyplus to extract 8.1 key if you do not know it.

cereberus, Jan 15, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    Windows 10 is supposed to activate if it's installed as an upgrade over an activated version of a qualifying OS (7 or 8). I believe that it does not activate as a clean install.

Build 10586 (aka 1511) is supposed to be able to activate using a key from a previously activated qualifying OS. If you have one, give it a try.

(I'm not sure how you'd use a key finder on a Windows 10 installation.)

bobkn, Jan 15, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    OP has windows 8.1 which if oem is embedded in bios. If retail 8 or self installed oem, and an upgrade to 10 (not a clean install), 8.1 key will be still in registry, and showkeyplus will extract it.

The one exception is if you ugraded from preinstalled windows 7, as thenyiu will need the coa (override) key. Keyfinders will not work, and will return a generic key of no use.

cereberus, Jan 15, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    I have questions which I need your answers before I know which is the proper way to help you, or whether I have an answer for you at all :

1. What method did you use to upgrade to Windows 10 ?
    By way of Windows Update or by way of using an ISO file.
    2. What version is your Win 8.1 ? Win 8.1 Pro or just Win 8.1 ?
    3. The Windows 10 you ended up with, is it the same version as your Win 8.1 ?
    By that, I mean if you have Win 8.1, you should get Win 10 Home.
    If you have Win 8.1 Pro, you should have Win 10 Pro.
    If you have Win 8.1 and ended up with Win 10 Pro, then you will see that activation warning.
    4. What do you mean " I thought was an activated version of windows 8.1" ?
    Was your Win 8.1 activated or not before you upgraded to Win 10.?

davidhk, Jan 15, 2016
  8. Superfly Win User

Yup.
    IIRC, when one clean installs without wiping the partition holding the existing Windows installation, a Windows.old folder is created from which one can get the old key as well... just something I think I noticed before.

Superfly, Jan 16, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    For clarity, you do not mean a clean install but an upgrade not keeping personal files. A clean install (booting from usb stick or dvd) totally wipes old OS.

Also if you upgrade, even if you delete windows.old, the old key is still retained in windows 10 registry but most product finders are not clever enough to extract it. Showkeyplus is.

Note: not certain if this works though if you upgrade NOT keeping files.

cereberus, Jan 16, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    Not necessarily. I did a clean install of 1511 32 bit yesterday on a disk that had 11099 64 bit already installed. After booting from ISO I didn't delete the partitions, ran through OOBE to set up my user and ended up with Windows.old and Program Files (x86) left behind from the previous 64 bit install.

11. Superfly Win User
    Yup... just tested it in VM

Windows 10 Activation Help [​IMG]

Superfly, Jan 16, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    That probably helps to explains something odd that happened to me when I installed a VM a few days ago to get Insider versions.

It installed fine but never asked me for any account info - it just set my account to exactly the same as in actual OS (local account with no password).

I can kind of understand that behaviour if dual booting but in a VM which is supposed be insulated from main OS?

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Activation Help - Similar Threads - Activation Help

2. Help with windows activation on a new pc build that required a motherboard swapped after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with windows activation on a new pc build that required a motherboard swapped after...: Help, I built my first pc. I installed windows and then realized my motherboard was damaged. I swapped motherboard using all the same components besides the motherboard. I have a pop up in thr lower right hand corner telling me activate windows but when I click on it I'm told...
  3. Help with windows activation on a new pc build that required a motherboard swapped after...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with windows activation on a new pc build that required a motherboard swapped after...: Help, I built my first pc. I installed windows and then realized my motherboard was damaged. I swapped motherboard using all the same components besides the motherboard. I have a pop up in thr lower right hand corner telling me activate windows but when I click on it I'm told...
  4. I need help with my Display Settings. Display 1 isn't active.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with my Display Settings. Display 1 isn't active.: I don't know if this is a big problem or not.But recently I just checked my display settings. Take note that I have not changed any settings prior.On the first instance I checked my display settings and on Advanced Display, it says that Display 1 isn't activeDisplay 1 is...
  5. I need help with my Display Settings. Display 1 isn't active.

I need help with my Display Settings. Display 1 isn't active.: I don't know if this is a big problem or not.But recently I just checked my display settings. Take note that I have not changed any settings prior.On the first instance I checked my display settings and on Advanced Display, it says that Display 1 isn't activeDisplay 1 is...
  6. Need help activating with either activating Windows 11 Home, changing a Windows 11 Pro...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help activating with either activating Windows 11 Home, changing a Windows 11 Pro...: Hello,I've had the worst time trying to activate Windows 11. I upgraded from Windows 10 Education to Windows 11 Education. I didn't have the Windows Education key anymore so I bought a Windows 11 Home key. It turns out you can't use a Windows 11 Home key to activate a Windows...
  7. Need help activating with either activating Windows 11 Home, changing a Windows 11 Pro...

Need help activating with either activating Windows 11 Home, changing a Windows 11 Pro...: Hello,I've had the worst time trying to activate Windows 11. I upgraded from Windows 10 Education to Windows 11 Education. I didn't have the Windows Education key anymore so I bought a Windows 11 Home key. It turns out you can't use a Windows 11 Home key to activate a Windows...
  8. this is what shows up when i try to activate windows. can someone please help??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    this is what shows up when i try to activate windows. can someone please help??: i cant activate windows can someone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-is-what-shows-up-when-i-try-to-activate/06ac60d6-2e99-4544-ae21-2bd3931de074
  9. help me how to activate my product

in Windows 10 Gaming
    help me how to activate my product: Windows 10 Activation errors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-me-how-to-activate-my-product/c44f6426-b00f-4f34-abc9-aca76e78981f
  10. help me how to activate my product

help me how to activate my product: Windows 10 Activation errors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-me-how-to-activate-my-product/c44f6426-b00f-4f34-abc9-aca76e78981f