Windows 10: Windows 10 activation problem after factory reset. Error 0xC004C003

Discus and support Windows 10 activation problem after factory reset. Error 0xC004C003 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi guys. I ran into a problem here. I have a slow internet connection. Somehow it upgraded from the pre-installed 8.1 to windows 10 via the media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Paawan, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Paawan Win User

Windows 10 activation problem after factory reset. Error 0xC004C003

Hi guys.
    I ran into a problem here. I have a slow internet connection. Somehow it upgraded from the pre-installed 8.1 to windows 10 via the media creation tool. I used the upgrade this machine now option.
    Due to some problem I had to get the track pad and the keyboard of the notebook replaced. After that I did a factory reset using the HP Recovery Manager. After coming back to 8.1 i was not able to upgrade via the media creation tool again it just vanished after downloading. The Microsoft Support guy told me it must be due to a bad connection. So I got the .iso from a friend and installed it, I formatted the partition after installing. The upgrade option required a product key I was able to skip that step only in the clean install option. Then I got the key using show key plus and did a factory reset again and used the upgrade option. But it wouldn't activate. Then I did a factory reset again back to 8.1 and used the disk to do a clean install. I skipped the key part but the key its showing is the same one I get from show key plus. Still its not activating.
    Where did I go wrong?

:)

Paawan, Sep 29, 2015
  2. kalpesh84 Win User

error in activating windows 10

After resetting dell laptop with preinstalled windows 10, there is activation error in windows 10.

error code: 0xC004C003.

I purchased laptop with preinstalled windows 10

kalpesh84, Sep 29, 2015
  3. Problem in activating windows 10 after resetting PC

My windows 10 PC suddenly ran into a problem and was unable to load the OS. So I reset the PC using reset option while booting. After reset, windows is not activated and is showing Error code: 0xC004C003. Please help me in activating the Windows. The PC
    came with default OS of Winodws10

Vijaykumar22, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

Welcome to TenForums, Paawan!

1) Did you confirm that, after the factory reset to Win 8.1, that it was activated before doing anything else?
    2) I don't understand you having "formatted the partition" AFTER installing - after installing what?
    3) In the sequence you describe, you need to have a completed and confirmed activated Win10 upgrade FIRST, before doing a clean install that will activate.
    4) Any product key you're getting out of Windows 10 would be a generic product key and not of any use.

That's all I have until you feed back a little more info.

Word Man, Sep 29, 2015
  5. Paawan Win User
    1) No,I did not confirm. But it came pre-installed with the laptop so would there be a need to activate it manually or it would come as activated only after the reset.
    2) I am sorry I couldn't make that clear enough. I mean I formatted the primary partition while installing windows not after.
    3) I did not confirm it but what I remember is that I used it for some days and the Activate Windows watermark never appeared. So can I assume that it was activated?
    And what should my next steps be? I am currently on the activated Windows 10.
    Thanks I really appreciate your help. *Smile

Paawan, Sep 30, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you are on the activated Windows 10, then what is the issue?

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2015
  7. Paawan Win User
    This is a different computer I am using to post here. It has the activated Windows 10. The issue described above is for another machine.

Paawan, Sep 30, 2015
  8. Word Man Win User

It's really not clear to me that, in the various installs, you had a solid chain of properly activated Win 8.1, followed by a proper upgrade to Win10 which then activated. Are you sure the DVD you're using has the correct version and bitness for the clean install on a machine that has had a poper upgrade sequence that would have recorded your machine's hardware hash on the MS activation servers?

Word Man, Sep 30, 2015
  9. Paawan Win User
    Yes in all the installs the Win 8.1 SHOULD have been activated, I did not check it but since I used the factory reset thing to get back to it, it should have been activated. Again I did not confirm the windows 10 was activated but since I used it for some days and never saw the watermark I am assuming it must have been activated.
    Yes it is the home version and 64 bit, those are correct. I am not able to comprehend the second part of your sentence.

Paawan, Sep 30, 2015
  10. Word Man Win User
    You won't get a clean install activated (via the free upgrade) unless you have done a successfully activated free upgrade first - in that activation should be the first time that MS activation servers record a unique "thumbprint" (specific hardware ID hash for the various components) for your machine and provide activation for that machine. From then on out, the MS activation server can identify your machine as having already been activated when you do the clean install.

Word Man, Sep 30, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    There were some cases during the timeframe that Microsoft was having problems with their activation servers when they seemed to lose the stored activation information and people doing subsequent clean installs could not get an activation until they went back and did another upgrade. Paawan, about all you can do at this point is go back to Windows 8.1, make sure it is activated, and do another upgrade. This time make sure to just do an upgrade - leave applications and user accounts/data in place. Check to make sure the Windows 10 resulting from the upgrade is activated. Then you are supposed to be able to do a clean install, skip entering the product code, and have it activated. I've done three or four clean installs and it has always worked for me, so far, after a fully activated upgrade from various versions of Windows 7 and 8/8.1.

Or purchase a Windows 10 Product Key, or beg Microsoft for an activation code/Product Key.

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2015
  12. admicsoft Win User
    May be you need more information regarding win8.1 key or win10 key, could you contact me ? or add my skype dedy.dela

admicsoft, Oct 1, 2015
  13. Paawan Win User

OK I'll try it again and let you know how it goes. Since my connection is very slow is there any way I can use the dvd to do the thing you mentioned. I mean can I somehow do it without having to download the 3 GB thing again?

Paawan, Oct 1, 2015
  14. Paawan Win User
    Ok I get it. Just one more thing if supposing the upgrade had been activated earlier would it cause any problem on upgrading again? Like are you sure the key would not be blocked since it would be the second time I would be upgrading?

Paawan, Oct 1, 2015
  15. Word Man Win User
    As long as the machine recorded on the MS activation server has had no major change in its components - this usually means just the motherboard (even that COULD be approved by calling MS) - the Win10 activation is good for the life of the machine. This means you can do the clean install as many times as you need and, yes, repeat the upgrade process as many times as you like. In fact, repeating an "in-place" upgrade is a way to reverse any problematic changes you may have made to the Win10 install that you come to regret.

If you reinstall Win 8.1, then that would still have to be activated by it's own pre-existing method before you go on to a repeat upgrade of Win10 - in that case, I'm not aware of any reason MS would block Win10 activation, even though it may have recorded an identical machine ID in the past. Your Win 8.1 license has not been revoked and (up until July 2016) the free Win10 upgrade offer still stands.

After July 2016, I don't believe you can repeat the Win 8.1 install/activation and then upgrade to WIn10 without having to buy a license - what kind of deal MS will offer at that point, I haven't found any information on.

You might consider capturing images of the system with freshly installed and activated Win 8.1 and same for Win10 with a good 3rd party program like Macrium Reflect Free if you have external storage available. That can secure the installs and data for any back and forth you end up doing.

Word Man, Oct 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 activation problem after factory reset. Error 0xC004C003 - Similar Threads - activation problem factory

2. Windows 10 pro activation error 0xC004C003

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 pro activation error 0xC004C003: I bought my new laptop with Windows 10 Home this September. I bought an upgrade to Windows 10 pro on Microsoft Store and after installing new component I found that Windows are not activated with the error code 0xC004C003. Using troubleshoot was not helping, saying we can't...
  3. Troubleshooting Windows 10 activation errors 0xC004C003

Troubleshooting Windows 10 activation errors 0xC004C003: Purchased a license and can not activate it errors 0xC004C003 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/troubleshooting-windows-10-activation-errors/cf315978-f7c8-4e83-a0dd-9970a2c77606
  4. windows activation error 0xc004c003

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows activation error 0xc004c003: when i try to activate windows i get error 0xc004c003 i searched methods of how to fix this and all of them dont work it just keeps giving me the error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-activation-error-0xc004c003/613f6cdf-0f3a-4c28-a011-675f175042c2
  5. Windows 10 activation error 0xC004C003

Windows 10 activation error 0xC004C003: Hi, I bought a retail key for windows 10 and installed on a new laptop. After 2 days the laptop broke down and returned it. Now I have another device received from supplier and try to install the Windows 10 again but get this error on Activation when using the same key. I...
  6. Windows activation error 0xc004c003

Windows activation error 0xc004c003: Upgraded from windows 10 home to windows 10 pro. Windows 10 home was preinstalled when purchased. Activation screen is listing windows 10 enterprise, which I have never heard of. I paid my money for the upgrade and got nothing but trouble. This process should be a lot...
  7. Error: 0xC004C003 Windows is not activated

Error: 0xC004C003 Windows is not activated: Split from this thread. hi.. i have a question about activation i have activated my windows 10 with digital license, its said "windwos is activated with a digital license" before and now, its said "windows is not activated" "we cant activate windows on this diveice...
  8. Windows 10 Activation Error 0xC004C003

Windows 10 Activation Error 0xC004C003: I arrived to work the morning of Nov 14, 2018 and my Windows 10 computer had done an automatic update. (I could tell because my applications had been closed and a few, like Chrome, had been restarted.) There was a message in the corner of my screen saying "Activate Windows...
  9. Windows 10 activation error 0xC004C003 after clean format

Windows 10 activation error 0xC004C003 after clean format: Hey there, After a clean format with the new 1803 ISO (also bought a Windows key) Still getting activation error 0xC004C003 [ATTACH] Tried everything , is it server side issue? [ATTACH]...
  10. error 0xC004C003 Fresh Reinstall after activation

error 0xC004C003 Fresh Reinstall after activation: Originally, my T430 was running the RTM build before upgrading to the full release. My laptop was fully activated afterwards. However when i did a fresh reinstall on a USB afterwards, i get an error message in the settings stating that my product key does not work. I thought...
Tags: