Windows 10: Windows 10 Activation / Question regarding clean install

Discus and support Windows 10 Activation / Question regarding clean install in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So i have just upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, i had/have a legal Windows 7 Pro license key that came with my laptop and it activated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NickyNails, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Activation / Question regarding clean install

So i have just upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro,
    i had/have a legal Windows 7 Pro license key that came with my laptop and it activated Windows 7 just fine.

Windows 10 however will not activate, i already read that this might be possible due to the activation servers?
    Is this problem still ongoing and if so is there a time frame in which it will be solved?

I also dualboot my laptop with Linux, i plan to remove Linux this week and i would like to format my SSD and do a clean Windows 10 install. I download a Win10 media creation tool to download an ISO and create a bootable USB.

If i do this how will i be able to activate Windows 10? Do i use my Windows 7 key or will i have to retrieve my Win10 key somehow?

Thanks in advance Windows 10 Activation / Question regarding clean install :)

:)

NickyNails, Jul 28, 2015

2. Clean Install of Windows 10 activation question

I am a PC enthusiast. I have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and I love it. I want to do a clean install, so I have downloaded the ISO onto a USB Flash Drive. When I tried to do a clean install, I received this error message in the process: “Windows
    can’t be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.” I have found the solution to this error, but I am worried about activation after installation because the solution involves
    formatting/cleaning the disk. I was not able to find my product key, so I downloaded a 3rd party device to find it, but it is my understanding that this will not reveal the true product key, and that my motherboard/rig is registered with Microsoft,
    and as long as I did the upgrade, activation will not be a problem, and I should just skip the prompt for a product key during installation. Which is true, and will I be able to achieve activation under these conditions?

CraigRessler, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Clean Install of Windows 10 activation question

Hi Craig,

Yes, as long you upgraded to Windows 10 initially and activated your copy of Windows 10, performing clean installation should affect your activation status, unless you perform any major hardware changes to CPU, TPM and Motherboard. Even in such cases, you
    can call to Microsoft support to do phone activation.

Bennet Martin, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 Activation / Question regarding clean install

Hello NickyNails, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

When you upgrade with the free reserved copy from the GWX app on an activated Windows 7 or 8.1 PC, Windows 10 has a generic key included that will activate it.

If you clean install Windows 10 without doing the above first, Windows 10 will not be activated.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade?

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Brink, Jul 28, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Well, the server is up so my upgrade finally activated.

BunnyJ, Jul 28, 2015
  6. Thank you for your quick answers *Smile I'm glad to hear we won't be bothered with keeping license keys anymore *Smile

I upgraded from Win7 so when the activation servers finally work and activate my Windows, i'll clean install *Biggrin

NickyNails, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Activation / Question regarding clean install

1. Windows 10 Activation / Question regarding clean install - Similar Threads - Activation Question regarding

2. Fresh Windows Install regarding question.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Windows Install regarding question.: In my laptop win11 is already install in HDD, I will install one SSD and use as Dual Storage Configuration. In that SSD I want to fresh install Win11, in this process will I loose my data in HDD, if I do not remove the HDD from Laptop during fresh Windows install?...
  3. Fresh Windows Install regarding question.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Windows Install regarding question.: In my laptop win11 is already install in HDD, I will install one SSD and use as Dual Storage Configuration. In that SSD I want to fresh install Win11, in this process will I loose my data in HDD, if I do not remove the HDD from Laptop during fresh Windows install?...
  4. Regarding windows 10 clean installation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Regarding windows 10 clean installation.: Hello sir, I am vaibhav, due to virus issue i was trying to install windows 10 clean installation but while installation when it reaches partition page it shows [ATTACH] This error i dont know what to do... i have dell laptop vostro 3558. I have deleted partition by...
  5. Question Regarding Activation in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question Regarding Activation in Windows 10: I want to know, what would happen if Windows 10 is used without activation. I came to know through one of my friend that Windows 10 comes for free,officially. He directed me to this website https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10, to corroborate his...
  6. Question regarding Windows 10 clean install!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question regarding Windows 10 clean install!: Hi all, I was wondering whether Windows 10 installs any hardware related drivers of its own at any point during a clean installation. A while back I did a clean install on my wife's Surface Pro 6 and saved a system image using Macrium Reflect as soon as it was done, without...
  7. Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions

Win 10 clean install on a new SSD - Activation Questions: Hi, I had a question for the experts here prior to doing a Windows 10 clean install on a new SSD. Background – My 7-year-old PC came with pre-installed Win 7 Home Basic that I upgraded to Win 10 during the free offer. I used Windows 10 for a couple months before the power...
  8. Some questions regarding clean installation of Windows 10

Some questions regarding clean installation of Windows 10: I have looked at this guide: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums But I am still a bit confused regarding the part to choose "where you want to install Windows 10" When at the screen showing you the different hard drive partitions, I still have no idea what to...
  9. Change drive at clean install - activation question

Change drive at clean install - activation question: I started a separate thread with some questions on clean installation to change from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However I have an additional specific question. I currently have an ASUS motherboard (p9x79 Pro) and am running my operating system on a spinning drive and using...
  10. Question Regarding Raid & fresh clean install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question Regarding Raid & fresh clean install of Windows 10: Hello, I recently did the upgrade and update to windows 10 pro. I am happy with it and all is OK. What I am wondering, Is I need to do a clean install. So, I currently have a raid set up on it and I did not set it up. The great thing is the upgrade/update kept all my...