Windows 10: Windows 10 activation workaround?

Discus and support Windows 10 activation workaround? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, had previously free upgraded win7 to 10....I then cloned that drive to a larger drive....my motherboard recently fried so upgraded that, now my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gazurtoids, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Windows 10 activation workaround?

Hi, had previously free upgraded win7 to 10....I then cloned that drive to a larger drive....my motherboard recently fried so upgraded that, now my windows 10 is not activated

my question is, if I were to reinstall 7 on the original smaller drive then upgrade again to 10 would I have it activated on my larger main drive when plugged back in

:)

gazurtoids, Jan 8, 2016

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Jan 8, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Jan 8, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Windows 10 activation workaround?

This depends on you original licence status.

If your original windows 7 licence was oem (mostly preinstalled when you bought pc), then that licence dies with old mobo and you require a new licence. You could try what you are suggesting, but it probably won't work. You could ask MS to help, if mobo is a like for like replacement.

If your original 7 key was retail, you can use it to activate windows 10 on new drive if running new version 10586 (open a command box and top line will say 10240 (old version) or 10586 (new version). If old version, it is better to clean install 10586 on new drive.

Note: sometimes you have to reinstall old os and get it activated, in which case, your idea of using smaller disk to install 7, and get it activated (using telephone activation if necessary) is a good idea. Then if version of 10 on new hdd is is 10586, then you can activate it using 7 key, and do not need to go through hassle of upgrading and cloning.

cereberus, Jan 8, 2016
  5. The old PC was originally OEM but I have disks also and have used them to reinstall 7 before........Win 10 Pro got upgraded on my machine yesterday with no problems but still not activated

gazurtoids, Jan 8, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    It will not activate as a new mobo. It is not relevant that you reinstalled it before on old mobo.

Windows 10 is tied to hardware id of old mobo. If old mobo dies, so does licence. You cannot transfer 7 licence either to new mobo (in the past, MS might do this manually, but that was a favour not a right - they are stricter now).

Unless you can persuade MS, you have a like for like mobo replacement, you need a new licence.

cereberus, Jan 8, 2016
  7. So my only real option is to buy a key......anybody know if keys from sites like this [removed by admin] or on Ebay are legit?? because I'm sure as hell not paying 200 bucks for a retail copy of windows

gazurtoids, Jan 8, 2016
  8. BunnyJ New Member

I doubt it.

BunnyJ, Jan 8, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    @ gazurtoids:

Call MS 'Up and Running' team, they should be able to help you out.
    Toll free - Ireland: 1-850-940-490

Welcome to tenforums.com, btw! *Smile

Edwin, Jan 8, 2016
  10. Really? have bought keys for steam/origin games from similar sites with no problems .......

might try the MS number

gazurtoids, Jan 8, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I could be wrong but I'm skeptical of sites that sell keys to Windows and I would give MS a call to see what they say. Can't hurt to try.

BunnyJ, Jan 8, 2016
  12. Word Man Win User
    +1 on that, gazurtoids. I must admit, just the title of your thread is a bit alarming from an ethical viewpoint (I'm not assuming other than good intention on your part). Contacting MS in good faith and assuming good faith on their part would always be the right choice.

I will only add that you may consider the option of making more than one call to MS at different times and see that you get a consistent answer from different reps, possibly depending on which side of the bed a given rep got up from on that morning.*Wink

Word Man, Jan 8, 2016
  13. BunnyJ New Member

My concern is where did these places get the keys/licenses from in the first place. It's not like with 7 or 8 were old copies can be sold. 10 is still in the free period and I don't know just how many are selling keys at this point.

My take is it's too good to be true.

BunnyJ, Jan 8, 2016
  14. Word Man Win User
    I share that skepticism. Hoping OP can get favorable resolution direct from MS.

Word Man, Jan 8, 2016
  15. Well I guess I mark this down as solved.....I simply added my Win 7 key and activated windows, something I hadn't tried as various opinions on google said this doesn't work, guess they were wrong

gazurtoids, Jan 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 activation workaround? - Similar Threads - activation workaround

2. I need help with my Display Settings. Display 1 isn't active.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with my Display Settings. Display 1 isn't active.: I don't know if this is a big problem or not.But recently I just checked my display settings. Take note that I have not changed any settings prior.On the first instance I checked my display settings and on Advanced Display, it says that Display 1 isn't activeDisplay 1 is...
  3. I need help with my Display Settings. Display 1 isn't active.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help with my Display Settings. Display 1 isn't active.: I don't know if this is a big problem or not.But recently I just checked my display settings. Take note that I have not changed any settings prior.On the first instance I checked my display settings and on Advanced Display, it says that Display 1 isn't activeDisplay 1 is...
  4. windows can't activate,Error code: 0xC004F074 this type of error saw

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows can't activate,Error code: 0xC004F074 this type of error saw: Error code: 0xC004F074 this type of error saw. what should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cant-activateerror-code-0xc004f074-this/e56c9af3-93ca-4655-966f-05c9fc5e8ead
  5. windows can't activate,Error code: 0xC004F074 this type of error saw

windows can't activate,Error code: 0xC004F074 this type of error saw: Error code: 0xC004F074 this type of error saw. what should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cant-activateerror-code-0xc004f074-this/e56c9af3-93ca-4655-966f-05c9fc5e8ead
  6. windows activation

windows activation: unable to activate https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-activation/5c19f108-3a18-4bb2-a06c-a52cc1df38a9
  7. windows 10 pro won't activate - all the workarounds have failed so far

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 pro won't activate - all the workarounds have failed so far: My computer died and I bought a used one online amazon. It came with windows 10 pro on it with a renewed license. Since, it needed to have a wifi adaptor it used a reduced/basic/core version of windows. But once I got the wifi turned on and tired to use the computer, it told...
  8. windows 10 pro won't activate - all the workarounds have failed so far

windows 10 pro won't activate - all the workarounds have failed so far: My computer died and I bought a used one online amazon. It came with windows 10 pro on it with a renewed license. Since, it needed to have a wifi adaptor it used a reduced/basic/core version of windows. But once I got the wifi turned on and tired to use the computer, it told...
  9. windows 10 pro won't activate - all the workarounds have failed so far

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  10. virtualbox/xpmode - snapshots as activation workaround ?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtualbox/xpmode - snapshots as activation workaround ?: First of all, I apologize for the multiple postings - I don't get to spend as much time learning this new stuff as I would like. Since I cannot "activate" my working XPmode, is the VirtualBox snapshot function a solid workaround ? Just create a snapshot NOW, and every few...