Windows 10: Windows 10 ADK config - Help

Discus and support Windows 10 ADK config - Help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello *Smile I'm trying to create unattended answer file for windows 10. (to use with sysprep) I'm using the ADK 1703 version. Everything is fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by blizzzard, Jul 11, 2017.

1. blizzzard Win User

Windows 10 ADK config - Help

Hello *Smile

I'm trying to create unattended answer file for windows 10. (to use with sysprep)
    I'm using the ADK 1703 version.
    Everything is fine expect the language configurations (Microsoft-windows-international-Core-WinPe_10.0.15063.0_natural)
    I want to achieve this: everything is en-US, besides time and currency format: he-IL (Hebrew Israel), and only 2 keyboard layout: US and Hebrew, that’s it.
    In win 7 it's simple, you can get this (in the install process) if you set this parameters:

Language to install: English
    Time and currency format: Hebrew (Israel)
    Keyboard or input methods: US

Well, I configured the windows-international-Core-WinPe…. Like this:

InputLocale: en-US
    SystemLocale: en-US
    UILanguage: en-US
    UserLocale he-IL
    And in setup UILanguage:
    UILanguage: en-US
    WillShowUI: OnError

When the system boot's up (after Sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:c:\windows\system32\sysprep\unattend.xml)

It stop's (every time, I changed the parameters, didn't help) and verifies the language setting with me.
    And the most important thing is the wrong settings.
    In the region section: the format is English (Israel)
    And I have 2 keyboard layouts: English (United States ) and English (United Kingdom)
    No Hebrew keyboard, I tried to change the settings, InputLocale: en-US; he-IL (didn’t help)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

Thank you J

:)

blizzzard, Jul 11, 2017

2. Windows 10 ADK

Is there a Windows 10 ADK available now that Windows 10 has released? I have the ADK Tech Preview, looking for the final ADK.

EDIT: It appears that the preview ADK will not open the WIM files from the downloaded ISO's

ChrisMartens, Jul 11, 2017
  3. gitClaus Win User
    gitClaus, Jul 11, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

@Kari the Finn is one of our reigning experts on SysPrep. Perhaps he might have a suggestion as to how you might proceed. Kari?
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 11, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    Hi Blizzard, welcome to Ten Forums.

You mistake is that you are using a correct image component in wrong answer file. A simplified explanation:

Windows setup is done in three phases:
    • Installation (boot from install media, system region and keyboard selection, product key, partitioning, install), restart when done
    • Device configuration, restart when done (no user interaction required)
    • Windows Welcome a.k.a OOBE (user region and keyboard selection, initial user account, privacy, OneDrive), enter desktop
    You can automate phases 1 and 3 with two separate answer files. To automate region and keyboard selection for system accounts in phase 1, you need to prepare an answer file naming it as autounattend.xml and store it on the root of your custom Windows 10 install media. You sysprep with unattend.xml, taking care of phase 3 OOBE, then capture the install image and create your custom install media. Now prepare autounattend.xml for phase 1 installation, place it on root of this install media and you are done.

Two answer files, one to take care of phase 1 installation, one to take care of phase 3 OOBE. Notice that autounattend.xml will not be used when sysprepping.

The component you have used (green highlight in below screenshot) Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPe must and can only be used inautounattend.xml, in Pass 1 WindowsPE.

Windows 10 ADK config - Help [​IMG]

With Sysprep you can then automatize phase 3 using another file unattend.xml as you have done. However, now you must use another component with almost similar name (yellow highlight in above screenshot) Microsoft-Windows-International-Core. In this answer file it must and can only be placed in Pass 7 OOBESystem.

Notice the missing WinPE in component name, compared to component you have used.

Short: regional settings in your answer file will do nothing, will completely be ignored because you have used component which can only be used in autounattend.xml in phase 1. Your unattend.xml only handles phase 3. That's why for instance regional settings are missing he-IL option; Hebrew - Israel keyboard layout is not shown by default in phase 1 regional selection in English install media because it contains no autounattend.xml file with custom regional settings, therefore only the defaults are shown.

6. blizzzard Win User
    Hello Kari,

First off all I want to thank you for your response.

Well, what you say is pure logic, when you use sysprep, you're skiping the installation phase of windows

Therefore, the entire configuration of phase 1 you've made are ignored.

Why do I get different results ?

When I configure the setting to en-US (all of them) and when "UserLocale: he-IL".

Why It works fine with windows 7 ? AIK/ADK I don't see any difference in the answer file creation part.

I don't want to use installation media, I want to sysprep the machine, capture the image of it.

Thank you

blizzzard, Jul 12, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    First, nothing ( repeat: nothing!) has changed in sysprep process and answer files used in Windows 10, it's done exactly as in Windows 7.

As I told you, you can't use Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPe component in unattend.xml answer file which you use with Sysprep. You must use Microsoft-Windows-International-Core component instead.

Read my previous post once again, with thought. This is what I tried to explain to you:

The component Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPe is and can only be used in installation phase, to skip regional settings for system accounts here:

It must be used in answer file autounattend.xml which is stored on root of the install media. It can't be used in answer filke unattend.xml which you use with Sysprep. This is the culprit for your issue, you have used this WinPE component in an answer file it should not be used.

The component Microsoft-Windows-International-Core is and can only be used in OOBE phase, to skip regional settings for initial user account here:

It will be used in answer file unattend.xml which you use with Sysprep.

(Screenshots from Ten Forums tutorial Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials )

You have used the component for installation phase wrongly in answer file for OOBE phase. You must change that.

8. blizzzard Win User

Hi Kari,
    I used Microsoft-Windows-International-Core component in pass 7 and it's working now *Smile
    Please don't get mad at me, I know that I made a stupid mistake and i feel ashamed.
    The last time I created answer file was in 2014, but no excuses, pre installation environment was always the same..
    Thank you very much, have a nice weekend

blizzzard, Jul 12, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    Of course I'm not mad. Good to know you got it working.

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 ADK config - Help - Similar Threads - ADK config Help

2. WIndows adk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows adk: I want to download windows 10 assessment and deployment tool kit for version 22h2 but i cant find it in their assessment and deployment page. I can only find windows 11 , windows 10 1903 and windows 2004. Can anyone give me the link?...
  3. WIndows adk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows adk: I want to download windows 10 assessment and deployment tool kit for version 22h2 but i cant find it in their assessment and deployment page. I can only find windows 11 , windows 10 1903 and windows 2004. Can anyone give me the link?...
  4. WIndows adk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows ADK Error

Windows ADK Error: Hi,So today I downloaded Windows ADK and I want to install Application Compability Tool, I went through all the proccess, did everything fine but then when it start to run, it stucked at 0%, I checked the log files, it said this error code: Win32 Error Code: -2147467259...
  6. Windows 10 ADK

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 ADK: The Windows assessment and deployment kit Windows ADK In your opinion would this be worth Downloading and Installing ? Thank you in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-adk/03b2d4b4-dda5-47d6-b8ef-3624b3357f4c
  7. What is Windows ADK

in Windows 10 Support
    What is Windows ADK: [img] I have windows 10 I came across a program Windows ADK. Should I download it, is it worth it. maybe I already have it. Thanks All Paul 173271
  8. ADK on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ADK on Windows 10: I'm running Win 10 Home on a 64-bit HP system. Have just seen adksetup.exe in my Downloads folder. Why is it there? What is it for? Do I need it? If so, why? If not, can I just delete or shred it? Thanks in advance....
  9. What's wrong with the Windows 10 ADK?

What's wrong with the Windows 10 ADK?: Since my update to the final Windows 10 version the previously installed Windows 10 ADK is now showing all the files as 0 bytes in size. I deleted them as they are worthless now. Re-Downloaded the Windows 10 ADK setup.exe but will not install. Immediately comes back with...
  10. ADK Windows 10 SIM Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ADK Windows 10 SIM Error: Hello, I have downloaded the ADK from this link : Kits et outils pour WindowsÂ*10Â*- Centre de développement matériel WindowsÂ*10 And i have used windows media creation tools from this link to create an windows 10 iso. Windows 10 But when i'm trying to create...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. apkconfig config.Adk config.ADK