Windows 10: Windows 10 Admin password will not work but I can use pin.

Discus and support Windows 10 Admin password will not work but I can use pin. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows 10 reset by MS. Told to put in new Administrator password, which I did & wrote it down in 2 places. Now will not accept the PW. Can you have a... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Doreen10, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Doreen10 Win User

Windows 10 Admin password will not work but I can use pin.

Windows 10 reset by MS. Told to put in new Administrator password, which I did & wrote it down in 2 places. Now will not accept the PW. Can you have a PW and a pin pls, as it will accept the pin. Any ideas?

:)

Doreen10, Nov 2, 2016
  2. Rhopson3 Win User

Pin number will not work but password does

Pin number will not work on my windows 10 my password does work how can i change my pin i have tried using setting but that did not work

Rhopson3, Nov 2, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Pin number will not work but password does

In Setting, Account have you removed your PIN and done a shutdown and restart and then back and put in a new one?

lacrumb, Nov 2, 2016
  4. Windows 10 Admin password will not work but I can use pin.

Yes you can have a password and a PIN. I have both setup on my laptop. On the Lock/login screen, below where you type them in, there should be a "login method" option. Click that and you can switch from Password to PIN of vice versa. Mine gets set back to Password after some Windows updates and I have to toggle it back to PIN. Every time a new build comes down the PIP it defaults back to Password. If it's set to PIN, and you enter your password, it won't let you log in. You have to tell it which one your typing in.

alphanumeric, Nov 2, 2016
  5. Doreen10 Win User
    Thanks Alpha. However, my system was reset by MS after not being able to get Updates for nearly 2 mths. The Admin password request flashed up & I set a password. I wrote down in 2 places but despite this it will not recognise the pw. It also asked me to set a pin which I did & it does recognise this & I can log in but will not let me change anything (that I can see) with this login. Any ideas pls. I have seen elsewhere on this forum that people can only use pin but no password, but cannot find it now. Cannot understand the different passwords & do not want to make a mistake. Thanks & kind regards

Doreen10, Nov 2, 2016
  6. This sounds a little shady. How did Microsoft tell you to reset the computer? If you can get in by PIN, are you able to change the password to something new?

DeaconFrost, Nov 2, 2016
  7. What original issue prompted you to call Microsoft support? Please don't tell me Microsoft called you. Because If they did, it wasn't Microsoft and your system is compromised.

As far as I know, if you don't know the current password, you can't set a new password. Make sure caps lock and or numlock isn't on and try entering your password again.

8. Doreen10 Win User

I got help from MS website as I could not get the MS Updates for almost 2 months. Had lots of trouble with MS & it kept cutting off. Got the 'chat' box & then he helped me. Accessed my computer & then 'reset' it. I could not speak to him at the time as obviously it had flashed off & was rebooting. Then the new screen came back & the reset asked the questions to set it up. I did ask if this was legit & MS assured me it was their website.

Doreen10, Nov 2, 2016
  9. I don't think you can set a PIN without first setting up a password. I haven't tried it myself, but I don't think you can do it. The prompt to set your password comes first during the Windows install, then setting up a PIN is optional. I use a PIN on my laptop to speed up the logon. On my desktop PC I just use a password and set it to auto log me on. Keep in mind, I'm logging in with my Microsoft Account.

Are you using a local account or Microsoft Account to log in?

10. Doreen10 Win User
    MS had control of my computer to reset the updates but couldnt. They initiated the Reset. You have me worried now - I called them

Doreen10, Nov 2, 2016
  11. OK, we asked because there is scam on the go where someone calls you claiming to be from "Windows" or "Microsoft". They then try to convince you to let them remote access your PC. If you let them they start installing spyware etc and sometimes try to lock you out demanding money to let you back in etc. If that had happened it would explain why you password wouldn't work.

12. Make sure what ever phone number your calling them with, is from a reputable source? There are fake sites with fake phone numbers that take you to scammers.

13. Windows 10 Admin password will not work but I can use pin.

Of course they are going to tell you they are legit...whether they are or not. I would change the password to something else right away.

DeaconFrost, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Admin password will not work but I can use pin. - Similar Threads - Admin password pin

2. Correct admin password and pin not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Correct admin password and pin not working: Hello, Today I tried to log into my Admin account on my PC but 1. The pin prompt shows as unavailable and 2. The password I enter does not work, even though it is 100% correct. I tried changing it from my windows account settings, but it still happens. I am able to log into...
  3. Correct admin password and pin not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Correct admin password and pin not working: Hello, Today I tried to log into my Admin account on my PC but 1. The pin prompt shows as unavailable and 2. The password I enter does not work, even though it is 100% correct. I tried changing it from my windows account settings, but it still happens. I am able to log into...
  4. Correct admin password and pin not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Correct admin password and pin not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. windows using admin pin instead of password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows using admin pin instead of password: i bought a new pc recently, and ive been trying to make myself administrator so i did the usual stuff, force reboot, cmd prompt, reset admin password, but the issue is, its asking for a pin that i neither know nor have permissions to change so really all im asking is how to...
  7. windows using admin pin instead of password

windows using admin pin instead of password: i bought a new pc recently, and ive been trying to make myself administrator so i did the usual stuff, force reboot, cmd prompt, reset admin password, but the issue is, its asking for a pin that i neither know nor have permissions to change so really all im asking is how to...
  8. Couldn't log into Windows using admins pin and password forgot

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Couldn't log into Windows using admins pin and password forgot: PLEASE HELP!!My laptop underwent an update today and tonight while I tried to turn it on, the lock screen reads 'pin is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device' and I forgot the password for the account. I'm using a local account so...
  9. Couldn't log into Windows using admins pin and password forgot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Couldn't log into Windows using admins pin and password forgot: PLEASE HELP!!My laptop underwent an update today and tonight while I tried to turn it on, the lock screen reads 'pin is no longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device' and I forgot the password for the account. I'm using a local account so...
  10. Couldn't log into Windows using admins pin and password forgot