Windows 10: Windows 10 Allowed Only Administrator to Remove it's Own Admin Rights

Discus and support Windows 10 Allowed Only Administrator to Remove it's Own Admin Rights in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Basically, when I setup my system I run my primary user as an admin to install and set everything the way I like it. After a week or so I remove my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by BlankMe, Feb 17, 2016.

1. BlankMe Win User

Windows 10 Allowed Only Administrator to Remove it's Own Admin Rights

Basically, when I setup my system I run my primary user as an admin to install and set everything the way I like it. After a week or so I remove my primary user from the Administrators group. I then use the default Admin account (usually Administrator) to do any other major changes or installs.

I understand that he default administrator account is disabled by Windows and needs to be enabled, but my gripe is that windows has allowed my only active user, which happen to be in the local admin group, to remove it's own Administrative privilege.

Now I have a PC with one standard user and no way to enable my admin, or otherwise do any administrative actions.

HOW CAN I ENABLE ADMIN WHEN MY ONLY USER ISN'T AN ADMIN?
    WHY WOULD WINDOWS ALLOW THIS TO OCCUR?

I've attached a couple screen shots showing my list of users, which will show the only active user and the other 3 disabled (icon shows down arrow); as well as my Administrator group showing the disabled Administrator user...which is disabled.

Please, anyone...what's the fix?

And I know I *should* have enabled the Administrator account BEFORE I removed my own admin...but I'm here now and need a fix.

Thanks,

:)

BlankMe, Feb 17, 2016

2. How to reinstate admin rights to a user account without administrator being activated in Windows 10?

How to reinstate admin rights to a user account without administrator being activated in Windows 10? The admin rights on my account were removed before the Administrator was enabled. How can I restore these Admin rights?

<Moderator Edit:Moved from Insider>

JimEngstrom, Feb 17, 2016
  3. Brad Cous Win User
    Lost Administrator rights

I made a big mistake that I can't believe Windows 10 would allow to happen. I wanted to change which user would have admin rights to my computer.... I removed the "administrator" from the current admin FIRST and then after that I was not able to make any
    other changes because there was no administrator. There was NO WARNING from Windows 10, NO "Are you Sure?" NOTHING. Now I can't add an administrator or do any admin duties.

What can I do to get an admin back on my computer without losing all of my data and all of my programs????????

BTW - I can't invoke the "hidden administrator" either because you have to be an admin to do that.

Brad Cous, Feb 17, 2016
  4. Windows 10 Allowed Only Administrator to Remove it's Own Admin Rights

Hello BlankMe Welcome to the Ten Forums!

The first place to look for that type of information besides a Bing search would be the tutorial section! Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The guide there will take you through everything one step at a time while the primary user generally does see an active administrator account by default unless changed to a standard account at which time another account is created. Creating a new MS account is generally how that works with 10. In fact I going to see that enabled right now for you here on the second test build I control remotely for these types of situations.

First I will simply use Option One in the guide there to simply type in the basic command once I right click on the remote system's Start button and select the Command prompt(admin) option for the elevated command prompt option. That will prevent any UAC interactions.

Windows 10 Allowed Only Administrator to Remove it's Own Admin Rights [​IMG]

You will note the confirmation seen in the Team Viewer 11 window on the right monitor shows the command entered was a success.. The Hidden admin account is now active and is immediately followed by logging out of the admin account as shown in the guide as well and looking at two login instead of only one once this has been seen to.

The first time this takes place will be like 10 has just been put on fresh all over again with the familiar welcome screens saying lots of great features to get excited about, etc. etc. blah blah blah Getting everything ready for you, etc. etc. while you wait for the "Let's Start. Here I have to clear off the Team Viewer gui as I watch the OneDrive update notification appear and then take a look in the Start>Settings>Accounts to suddenly see no profile picture and a new admin account waiting to be named!

Funny the existing user account is not to be found once you are logged into the Hidden System Admin made active. As you can see the process goes quickly without any large fuss but just a few steps depending on which option you choose to work with.

Night Hawk, Feb 17, 2016
  5. BlankMe Win User
    Thank you Night Hawk. The link you posted to Brink worked:
    Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

The option I needed was OPTION FOUR.

I used the disc with my windows installer, booted to it, and navigated to the option to launch a command prompt. From there all of the steps outlines in OPTION FOUR worked.

This allowed a system with no active Administrators to enable the built in admin account. Super happy about the fix *Smile

A side note...I wish Windows would add a prompt to notify a users they are about to remove admin permissions from the only local admin. Previous versions of windows did this...wish Win10 did the same.

Thanks again Night Hawk and Brink!

BlankMe, Feb 26, 2016
  6. That's great news! Glad to hear that worked out good for you! *Thumbs

Here I now have to resolve a rather interesting problem that came up after seeing the hidden system account enabled or was it due to some recent update? being the question as to why I was not able to browse to find a profile pic for the system admin as well as suddenly no longer being able to rename any folders at all new or existing ones. The folder renaming problem came up prior to seeing the system admin account enabled ruling that out of the equation however as far as the renaming goes and likely not for not being able to browse to grab a pic for the profile either. First find the actual cause and then the working solution! *Biggrin

Night Hawk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Allowed Only Administrator to Remove it's Own Admin Rights

1. Windows 10 Allowed Only Administrator to Remove it's Own Admin Rights - Similar Threads - Allowed Administrator Remove

2. Removed administrator rights

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removed administrator rights: Hi there. I have had some problems with windows 10 recently. I am unable to access or change any files that are related to anything to do with an administrator related file. I cannot open applications such as Task manager, anything to do with Microsoft office, OneDrive, and...
  3. Removed administrator rights

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removed administrator rights: Hi there. I have had some problems with windows 10 recently. I am unable to access or change any files that are related to anything to do with an administrator related file. I cannot open applications such as Task manager, anything to do with Microsoft office, OneDrive, and...
  4. Removed administrator rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. i am unable to gain admin rights or run as administrator on my own pc

i am unable to gain admin rights or run as administrator on my own pc: if i want to delete or save a file in a folder i am told that i need to contact the administrator for this how do i get admin rights on my own pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-unable-to-gain-admin-rights-or-run-as/42f606d7-764a-4118-9a39-c773b68ae014
  6. Allow program to run with admin rights.

Allow program to run with admin rights.: Hello, I have an app that I want to let users run on a windows 10 device but each time it is open it prompts for admin override. How can I allow every user on the computer to be able to use this program? I have already went into security and ensured that everyone had full...
  7. Allow program to run with admin rights.

Allow program to run with admin rights.: Hello, I have an app that I want to let users run on a windows 10 device but each time it is open it prompts for admin override. How can I allow every user on the computer to be able to use this program? I have already went into security and ensured that everyone had full...
  8. Allow program to run with admin rights.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Windows 10 local administrator has no admin rights

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 local administrator has no admin rights: This is a computer fresh out of the box. I am logged in as the local administrator. When I try go to personilize, then themes, then click on Desktop icon settings a pop up states that it can't access that folder because I dont have administrator rights. ummm I am the...
  10. Lost administration rights on admin account

Lost administration rights on admin account: I found another thread on the same topic, but it was "locked" - so here is another one: After recent update and several uninstall and installation procedures my account was not able to sign in to windows. While signing in with another user account and trying to use command...