Windows 10: WINDOWS 10 always asks for delete confirmation.

Discus and support WINDOWS 10 always asks for delete confirmation. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have unchecked delete confirmation in the recycle bin properties, but whenever I delete a file or folder on a removable drive or a network drive, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mrg9999, Jul 6, 2015.

1. mrg9999 Win User

WINDOWS 10 always asks for delete confirmation.

I have unchecked delete confirmation in the recycle bin properties, but whenever I delete a file or folder on a removable drive or a network drive, the delete confirmation pops up.

This does not happen on Windows 7 or 8.

:)

mrg9999, Jul 6, 2015
  2. aakkam22 Win User

Delete files but not ask for confirmation

In what way, can you explain further? My multi-TB USB HDDs are all removable drives with no write caching, and all have their own Recycle Bin folders.

The setting in Device Manager does not change whether the drive has a Recycle Bin or not. The manufacturer of the drive must build for it.

Windows does not enable the $Recycle.bin folder on removable drives. It only does this on Local Disks (external or internal hard disks). If a drive identifies to Windows as a removable memory stick then the system will not create a Recycle folder.

aakkam22, Jul 6, 2015
  3. aakkam22 Win User
    Delete files but not ask for confirmation

Hi Steve,

This is intended behavior. As some background, your internal HDDs and some external HDDs have their own $Recycle.bin folder. This is a hidden folder located on the drive. When you delete a file, it is sent to the recycle bin, not permanently deleted. You
    can disable the prompt for these.

Memory sticks usually do not have their own $Recycle.bin folder because the hardware does not support it. Thus, when you ask to delete a file there, it is
    permanently deleted. And because you are undertaking this operation that you cannot reverse, Windows must ask you to confirm.

As far as I know, there is not a way to disable the prompts for permanent deletion, only recycling.

aakkam22, Jul 6, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

I have to go turn that on after every install.as I consider it dangerous not to have the delete confirmation. I know this doesn't help you but it does show how different people and their needs are *Smile

You can also achieve the same setting through the Registry. Click Start and type regedit into the search box and hit Enter.

WINDOWS 10 always asks for delete confirmation. [​IMG]

In Registry Editor navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer then right-click and create a new DWORD value.

Name it ConfirmFileDelete and give it a value of “1”. You’ll need to log off and back on again for the setting to go into effect.

Again, these steps are not meant for beginners and unless you know what you’re doing there is no reason for you to try this. However, if you’re an experienced user and annoyed by the Delete confirmation box but want to make sure it stays enabled for others, these steps will help you out.

Above found here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6868/...-in-windows-7/

Ztruker, Jul 6, 2015
  5. mrg9999 Win User
    Thanks Zt, I wasn't aware of that key.
    Tried that, logged off /on
    no difference.
    I had already set this in gpedit.
    Attachment 23638

If I use an alternate shell other than explorer, it doesn't happen. Another thing I've just noticed is it's dependant on user.
    If I login as L: username@outlook.com it prompts.
    If I use a local user (both are in administrators group) it doesn't prompt.

mrg9999, Jul 6, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Gpedit would diddle with the same registry key most likely.

Sounds like a bug to me. Use Feedback and report it.

I just tried this on my 10162 build under OracleVB and it works correctly with a MSA account so it's not a prevalent problem.

Ztruker, Jul 7, 2015
  7. mrg9999 Win User
    SOLVED, well at least fixed.
    deleted ntuser.*
    re-ran the welcome to windows 10, and all works as expected. I did also notice that the default.user was full of hibit characters.

mrg9999, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. WINDOWS 10 always asks for delete confirmation. - Similar Threads - always asks delete

2. Confirm File Delete Window When Deleting Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confirm File Delete Window When Deleting Folder: When I delete a whole folder of a program from Program Files x86 and it pops up a warning window of a system file that will be deleted, is it OK to confirm its deletion. It is a program I no longer use, for example an old printer that is no longer installed.Will deleting such...
  3. Confirm File Delete Window When Deleting Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Confirm File Delete Window When Deleting Folder: When I delete a whole folder of a program from Program Files x86 and it pops up a warning window of a system file that will be deleted, is it OK to confirm its deletion. It is a program I no longer use, for example an old printer that is no longer installed.Will deleting such...
  4. Confirming "delete file" in WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Confirming "delete file" in WIndows 10: I clicked on clicked on a file name in File Explorer to delete it. It was deleted immediately. File Explorer used to ask for confirmation before a file is deleted. How can I restore that as a default?...
  5. Display delete confirmation dialog

Display delete confirmation dialog: I have followed the instructions and the box is checked, apply clicked but I still do not get the option to confirm before pictures, etc. are deleted in Windows 10. It has been checked for a long time but now it doesn't work. Is there a fix for this? Thank you, Suzanne :...
  6. Recycle confirmation or Display delete confirmation dialog

Recycle confirmation or Display delete confirmation dialog: The function is enabled but if I delete a file in file explorer, I don't get asked to confirm. It deletes straight away. Can anyone help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recycle-confirmation-or-display-delete/a577009e-cb85-44d2-930c-880c46866f28"
  7. always ask password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    always ask password: please tell me what to do in order to disable the password from sleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/always-ask-password/f5a78340-5969-4209-bb88-930f57e9aaed"
  8. Will Update Ask for Confirm Before Restart?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will Update Ask for Confirm Before Restart?: I have Win 10 updates set to "Notify to Schedule Restart". Will it ask me to confirm before it restarts (since it seems to schedule them about 3:00 a.m. when I'm asleep). I'd rather my computer not reboot without my ok. Thanks. 17874
  9. System always asking to activate windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    System always asking to activate windows 10: Hello. I buy an Windows 10 Pro 64bit dvd and i did a clean install in my desktop. I insert the key-code, it was activated, all perfect. That was like a month ago. A few days ago, i notice that water-mark in the right-lower corner of the screen telling me to activate Windows...
  10. OneDrive Delete Confirmation Message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Delete Confirmation Message: Hey , Check this link - Ask before delete files from OneDrive folder. YES! That's it. Thank you so much. I did a lot of googling, but clearly wasn't googling the right phrases.