Windows 10: Windows 10 and DVD directories

Discus and support Windows 10 and DVD directories in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an issue I can't seem to find decent info about. My Win 10 laptop won't see files and folders on DVDs I burned on another box unless I make an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by poud, Nov 22, 2015.

1. poud Win User

Windows 10 and DVD directories

I have an issue I can't seem to find decent info about. My Win 10 laptop won't see files and folders on DVDs I burned on another box unless I make an ISO on the Win 7 machine first, and then copy it over to the Win 10 machine and "mount" the ISO.

I even tried creating an ISO from an older DVD and then burning it to a new DVD with my Win 10 machine. I still can't use File Explorer on the new DVD. It seems Win 10 on this box won't "see" the files & folders on the DVDs unless the original DVD was burned on this machine. If it is originally burned here, then it works fine. The DVDs I burned on my other laptop using Win 7 can't be "explored" like they used to be on Win 7 and 8.

This isn't an issue with the DVD drive. I've pretty much ruled out drivers, hardware, etc. The drive works fine for everything else. Win 10 recognizes the drive just fine and I can use the drive to create ISOs, burn discs, etc. It just won't "explore" DVDs I made somewhere else - at least not directly from the disc.

I used to do a lot of DVD creating and editing with Win 7 & 8. The processes I've been using are significantly hampered with Win 10. It appears I'm gonna need to get "creative" with my current DVD editing & creation processes. *Nerd

Anyone else?

:)

2. isaacc123 Win User

Error "The directory name is invalid" while trying to access DVD

before I update to window 10 (window 8.1) I can open my DVD normally. After I update to window 10 some DVD can open, some DVD cannot open and show massage "The directory name is invalid"

Original title: Windows 10 Dvd drive

isaacc123, Nov 22, 2015
  3. Zagoz Win User
    "The directory name is invalid" DVD

before I update to window 10 (window 8.1) I can open my DVD normally. After I update to window 10 some DVD can open, some DVD cannot open and show massage "The directory name is invalid"

Zagoz, Nov 22, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

What preogram are you using to burn the DVD? Is it closing the session?

Ztruker, Nov 23, 2015
  5. poud Win User
    You bring up a good point. I'll check that. Thank you!

I mostly use Windows DVD Maker and ImgBurn for burning, though I've used others. I also use Windows Movie Maker for editing.

6. Ztruker Win User
    I also use Imgburn and have never had a problem.

Ztruker, Nov 24, 2015
  7. poud Win User
    Well, I checked and the sessions are DEFINITELY closed/finalized. But I think I've discovered that is not exactly, but maybe partly the issue. I say not exactly...

Scenario:

1. Created a DVD on my Sanyo DVD/VCR deck. Dubbed a VCR tape to DVD and finalized the DVD.
    2. My Windows 7 Pro machine can mount the DVD and see all the files on the DVD, i.e., the Audio_TS & Video_TS folders and all the files within.
    3. I put the same physical DVD in my Windows 10 Pro machine and ... NADA ... Can't read anything on the DVD.

Okay...

1. So, I create an iso image of the DVD on my Windows 7 machine that can read the DVD.
    2. I copy that iso over to my Windows 10 machine.
    3. On the windows 10 machine I create a new DVD from the iso I just copied over.
    4. Remove and re-insert the newly Win10 created DVD.
    5. VOILA! My Windows 10 machine can now read everything on the new DVD created ON the Win10 box!

So I try one more thing:

1. I make another DVD on my Windows 7 machine from the iso I originally created over there.
    2. Mount the new DVD in each machine, in turn, and BOTH my machines can read all the files on it.
    3. I go back to the original DVD created on my VCR/DVD dubbing deck and re-insert into my two computers. As with my first try, Windows 7 can read it, Windows 10 cannot.

Apparently, and this is only a guess, the method my dubbing deck utilizes to "finalize" a dvd is recognized in Windows 7 but not in Windows 10.

Does anyone know if, or what, may have changed regarding the difference in reading DVDs created & finalized/closed on other machines? Why would 7 still work and not 10? (Anything UDF related?)

I've seen other folks around the web complaining of VERY similar experiences. But no real solutions.

*Banghead

TIA

poud, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 and DVD directories - Similar Threads - DVD directories

2. CD-Rom / DVD Driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD-Rom / DVD Driver: Hey! So the last time my cdrom / dvd driver was updated was 06/21/2006. I have upgraded from windows 7 on a lenovo AIO ThinkCentre so updating it through lenovo's site is worthless, since they don't update from 7 to 10. How do I update it? Device manager is basically...
  3. how do fix i the directory name is invalid for dvd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do fix i the directory name is invalid for dvd: how do fix i the directory name is invalid for DVD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-fix-i-the-directory-name-is-invalid-for-dvd/2dfdfbdc-7d24-4602-9547-df570057a853
  4. how do fix i the directory name is invalid for dvd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how do fix i the directory name is invalid for dvd: how do fix i the directory name is invalid for DVD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-fix-i-the-directory-name-is-invalid-for-dvd/2dfdfbdc-7d24-4602-9547-df570057a853
  5. how do fix i the directory name is invalid for dvd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. DVD drive not working after upgrade to Windows 10 The directory file is invalid

DVD drive not working after upgrade to Windows 10 The directory file is invalid: Hello, after an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 the DVD drive is not working. Error message D:\ The directory file is invalid. Drive has been replaced twice since the update to Windows 10 last week, to no avail. All DVDs, CDs are working fine on any other...
  7. The directory name is invalid – CD/DVD drive error on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    The directory name is invalid – CD/DVD drive error on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If after a clean install of Windows 10 or even upgrading to a newer version of Windows 10 and you encounter error message The directory […] This article The directory name is invalid – CD/DVD drive error on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. when i try to play a cd or dvd it comes up the directory name is invalid

when i try to play a cd or dvd it comes up the directory name is invalid: when i try to play a cd or dvd it comes up the directory name is invalid https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-try-to-play-a-cd-or-dvd-it-comes-up-the/5d780068-5cd2-462f-ae4f-29cac1859b77
  9. Windows 10 does recongnize my DVD drive: directory invalid

Windows 10 does recongnize my DVD drive: directory invalid: I just upgraded to windows 10 from 7 a couple of weeks ago. Things were great until I tried to install a game. I put the DVD in the drive and got the following error. D:\ The directory name is invalid. I can see the DVD drive in explorer and it is labeled D: When I...
  10. File Explorer Fails Reading DVD Directory

File Explorer Fails Reading DVD Directory: Ultimately, I want to copy my DVD files to my computer hard drive. I have encountered a problem trying to read the directory of and copy [VOB] files from a YesVideo DVD. There is no copy protection, it's my 8mm video they translated to DVD format. YesVideo says I am...