Windows 10: Windows 10 and Hyper-V dynamic memory

Discus and support Windows 10 and Hyper-V dynamic memory in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It seems that Windows 10 does not behave nicely in a Hyper-V virtual machine, also running on Windows 10. My laptop has plenty of memory and is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BartZorn, Jan 23, 2016.

1. BartZorn Win User

Windows 10 and Hyper-V dynamic memory

It seems that Windows 10 does not behave nicely in a Hyper-V virtual machine, also running on Windows 10.

My laptop has plenty of memory and is running Windows 10 build 10586.63.

Normally I configure a new VM with dynamic memory enabled, because I saw no reason why not. Now I found one: Windows 10 as client OS does not like that. All my Windows 10 VM's reported only about 1.5 GB usable with 4 GB configured. Not surprisingly, they were all dead slow.

When I disabled dynamic memory in the settings, the problem went away.

This may severely limit the number of VM's you can be running simultanously!

Bart

:)

BartZorn, Jan 23, 2016
  2. NickC_UK Win User

Recreate Windows 10 Recovery partition

When Windows 10 is installed as a hyper-v virtual machine it creates a 350Mb System Reserved partition at the beginning of the disk and a 450Mb Recovery partition at the end of the disk.

Problem is this 450Mb Recovery partition at the end of the disk then prevents hyper-v edit disk from being able to shrink the dynamic disk!

Solution seems to be either move the 'Recover Partition' or delete and recreate it, question is how?

NickC_UK, Jan 23, 2016
  3. shadowynd Win User
    Hyper-V on Windows Home Edition?

In my "Services (Local)", the following are listed:

Hyper-V Data Exchange Service

Hyper-V Guest Service Interface

Hyper-V Guest Shutdown Service

Hyper-V Heartbeat Service

Hyper-V Remote Desktop Virtualization Service

Hyper-V Time Synchronization Service

Hyper-V VM Session Service

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor

Since Hyper V isn't supposed to be on Windows 10 Home, I'm wondering what's going on and why it is in my Services. Are there any other services which would appear in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education that shouldn't appear in Windows 10 Home Services?

Thanks!

shadowynd, Jan 23, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Of course a Hyper-V vm becomes slower if you use dynamic memory with default settings. The Hyper-V will be constantly monitoring the demand and assign the required RAM to the vm.

For the dynamic memory to work you need to assign enough startup memory (#1 in screenshot below), increase the the memory buffer (#2) and memory weight (#3):

Windows 10 and Hyper-V dynamic memory [​IMG]

A Windows 10 virtual machine needs surprisingly little RAM to function well. Here in the screenshot the memory usage of a Windows 10 vm otherwise idle at the moment, only running Macrium to create a system image. Memory demand only 522 MB but because I have assigned a 35% buffer, it's using 768 MB of the assigned maximum 8 GB:

Windows 10 and Hyper-V dynamic memory [​IMG]

The buffer is important: When using dynamic memory and the demand suddenly increases for example due a resource heavy application being launched, it takes time for Hyper-V to assign more RAM to the vm. The bigger the buffer, the better the vm reacts to increased demand.

Dynamic memory should only be used when it really is needed, for instance when it is important to have multiple virtual machines running at the same time. Dynamic memory should not be used when installing Windows, it can make the time needed for installation somewhat longer.

Generally speaking a Windows 10 vm with 2 GB of static RAM assigned works faster than the same vm with 512 MB to 4 GB dynamic RAM.

5. BartZorn Win User
    Thank you for your excellent explanation!

I will keep this in mind, but generally will follow your advice to not use dynamic memory unless I really need it.

Regards,

Bart

BartZorn, Jan 23, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    You are welcome *Smile

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 and Hyper-V dynamic memory - Similar Threads - Hyper dynamic memory

2. Hyper V for windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper V for windows 10: Can Hyper-V added to windows features, so that i can turn it on so i can run an app. How do i even get Hyper-V added to my computer in general? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-for-windows-10/99ebe949-cf2a-44ab-a6a7-b28f08f6794b
  3. Hyper V for windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V for windows 10: Can Hyper-V added to windows features, so that i can turn it on so i can run an app. How do i even get Hyper-V added to my computer in general? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-for-windows-10/99ebe949-cf2a-44ab-a6a7-b28f08f6794b
  4. Any linux distro that works with hyper-v dynamic memory?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any linux distro that works with hyper-v dynamic memory?: I'm working on deploying some Linux nodes in a hyper-v environment for a home lab. I would like to use the dynamic memory feature for resource conservation. I noticed that, running hyper-v on up to date windows 10, both debian and ubuntu (even the hyper-v endorsed variety)...
  5. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  6. Hyper-V Resizeable Windows

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Resizeable Windows: For those unaware, you can now resize your Hyper-V windows "on the fly" (enhanced mode at least) . Previously, you had to do it via config files before you started vm up. Now you do not have to scroll or go to fullscreen mode to get to task bar. Makes it much better...
  7. Unable to disable Hyper-V (Windows 10)

Unable to disable Hyper-V (Windows 10): Hyper-V was enabled while installing the Visual Studio Android emulator, which I no longer need. As it turns out, Hyper-V doesn't work well with Virtualbox (see #15268 (Virtualbox causes SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION on Win10) – Oracle VM VirtualBox) and must be removed....
  8. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
  9. VM's Don't Over commit RAM ( set Dynamic RAM on HYPER-V)

VM's Don't Over commit RAM ( set Dynamic RAM on HYPER-V): Hi there Even if you are using a 64 Bit OS don't over commit RAM when the VM starts - HYPER-V allows you to set DYNAMIC RAM which means the OS will grab more when it needs it - and then of course you can run MORE VM's or have a better throughput on your HOST. If you are...
  10. Windows 10 and Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 and Hyper-V: I tried to install the preview as a virtual machine and everything went fine until after a reboot following the download and installation of the updates. Both 8.1 & 10 locked up with a strange crackling noise through the speakers every few seconds. One good thing about a...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 hyper-v memory buffer

2. hyper-v synamic memeory for Win10

3. win 10 hyper-v dynamic memory leak

4. dinamyc memory windows 10 hyper-v