Windows 10: Windows 10, and MBR?

Discus and support Windows 10, and MBR? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I was just reading a post on another forum. It was said that you can't install Windows 10 on a disk that has a Master Boot Record. That... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeHawthorne, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Windows 10, and MBR?

Hi

I was just reading a post on another forum.

It was said that you can't install Windows 10 on a disk that has a Master Boot Record.

That because it uses a GBR you have to remove all of the partitions and change the boot manager before you install it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off is how the hard drive is set up. You can not install it to a drive with a Master Boot Record (MBR) Windows 10 uses GBR which is far better for large hard drives. GBR supports more than 4 partition entrys and huge hard drives. If you have a hard drive that you want to install it to and it uses MBR, all the partitions must either be deleted or converted to GBR before installing Windows 10.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed my W10 on my second hard drive so (no previous OS on it) I didn't run into any problems.

Is this correct, I didn't see any information about this at the time I was installing?

Anyone have to deal with this?

Mike

:)

MikeHawthorne, Oct 13, 2014

2. Window 10 pro problems

Where is the control panel gone in Windows 10?

Will and Windows 10, Oct 13, 2014
  3. Window 10 pro problems

Found it!!!!!

You right click the start button. Yeah!

Will and Windows 10, Oct 13, 2014
  4. AddRAM Win User

Windows 10, and MBR?

They don`t have a clue.Attachment 6984

AddRAM, Oct 13, 2014
  5. AddRAM Win User
    Check your hard drive in Disk Management , is windows installed to a GPT or MBR disk. Mine is MBR and always has been.

AddRAM, Oct 13, 2014
  6. LittleJay Win User
    *Ditto

LittleJay, Oct 13, 2014
  7. badrobot Win User
    You can't install Win 10 on UEFI firmware with secured boot enabled and CSM disabled if the disk is MBR. The disk has to be GPT. But on PCs with BIOS firmware, it shouldn't be a problem.

badrobot, Oct 13, 2014
  8. Windows 10, and MBR?

Hi

I can't find anyplace where is says if my hard drive is MBR or GBR?
    I looked in Disk Management, and at Disk Properties but I don't see a Volumes tab anyplace.

How did you get to the screen shown above?

The reason I'm interested in this is I don't want to be telling people they can just create a partition and install Windows 10 in a dual boot setup if there is more to it then that.

I didn't have any problems but I have it on a different physical drive then my Windows 8 install.

Mike

Windows 10, and MBR? [​IMG]

9. echrada Win User
    Device Manager > Disk Drives > Double click on drive > Volume and then populate at bottom.

echrada, Oct 13, 2014
  10. Mystere Win User
    Switch to the Hardware Tab, then click on the drive description and click Properties.

Then switch to the Volumes tab of the new dialog, and click populate... If you have UAC, it will close and open a new elevated one, click populate again.

Mystere, Oct 13, 2014
  11. OK, I found it.

Both of my drives including the one with Windows 10 on it have MBR partitions.

Windows 10, and MBR? [​IMG]

So I guess you can have Windows 10 on a drive with a MBR.

Mike

12. Mystere Win User
    Yes, you can... *IF* it's not a UEFI bios with secure boot enabled and CSM disabled.

Mystere, Oct 13, 2014
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 10, and MBR?

Hi there

CMD prompt (in admin mode)

DISKPART
    LIST DISK

Incidently don't confuse SECURE BOOT with UEFI. You CAN of course boot a UEFI enabled W10 -- SECURE BOOT has to be disabled for booting OS'S not stored in the BIOS for example if you want to boot from a USB or boot say a Linux system.

Even on NON UEFI systems I'd make all HDD's GPT apart from the boot one. On a non UEFI system you can't boot from a GPT HDD but all other HDD's can be GPT.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 13, 2014
  14. Hi

Ok, I guess that makes sense since part of the instructions for installing it were to turn off Secure Boot, and Fast Boot before doing the dual boot installation.

I am running UEFI but I did turn off Secure Boot.

Mike

15. badrobot Win User
    Mike, I just wanted to ask. What is GBR?

badrobot, Oct 14, 2014
Thema:

Windows 10, and MBR?

1. Windows 10, and MBR? - Similar Threads - MBR

2. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work: HiIm trying to convert my boot disk to GPT so I could boot to UEFI rather than legacy mode.I try to go GPT but it says this on CMD:I tried to follow another guy with the same problem adding 200mb of free memory:But still it didnt work.What do I do?...
  3. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work: HiIm trying to convert my boot disk to GPT so I could boot to UEFI rather than legacy mode.I try to go GPT but it says this on CMD:I tried to follow another guy with the same problem adding 200mb of free memory:But still it didnt work.What do I do?...
  4. converting disks to GPT from MBR to go from Legacy to UEFI. MBR2GPT does not work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Boot not available because both startup disks seen as MBR format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot not available because both startup disks seen as MBR format: I just updated my PC with new Win11 compatible motherboard, after much work in the bios got Win10 to load, then installed new SSD and copied the system to it. after again fiddling with the Bios could boot from either disk by using app easy cd. But something I did now will not...
  6. Boot not available because both startup disks seen as MBR format

Boot not available because both startup disks seen as MBR format: I just updated my PC with new Win11 compatible motherboard, after much work in the bios got Win10 to load, then installed new SSD and copied the system to it. after again fiddling with the Bios could boot from either disk by using app easy cd. But something I did now will not...
  7. Boot not available because both startup disks seen as MBR format

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  9. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  10. i get error , "The Selected dis has an MBR partition table. windows can only be installed...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i get error , "The Selected dis has an MBR partition table. windows can only be installed...: Hello friends, I have a problem that I could not solve.I encountered this problem while changing Windows. I saw solutions that clean the disk, but I have important information on the disk.I have a disk, which contains several partitions. And I already deleted partition 3...