Windows 10: Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My situation is this: I have now Windows 7 in my HDD, and I just bought a new SSD to install Windows 10 in. Also bought a new Windows 7 license (old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Erikkui, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Erikkui Win User

Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD

My situation is this: I have now Windows 7 in my HDD, and I just bought a new SSD to install Windows 10 in. Also bought a new Windows 7 license (old one is pirated *Rolleyes). I'm going to install Win7, then upgrade to Windows 10 and do clean install. The question is, will I be able to delete old Windows 7 from HDD and use it as my data drive as told in here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...rive-data.html
    Or will Win7 User data and folders be incompatible in Win10? Is there anything else I should know or do with this?

:)

Erikkui, Aug 3, 2015
  2. Jan_944 Win User

Windows 10 - Installation after change from HDD to SSD

Hello,

I want to change my old HDD with Upgrade-Windows 10 to a new SSD with a clean installed Windows 10. Do I have to deactivate the OS in the old HDD before installing it at the new SSD?

Otherwise Microsoft could think that I have one Licence for two PCs, or?

Another question:

Will my old Windows 7-Key work with the new Windows 10-install?

Greetings!

Jan_944, Aug 3, 2015
  3. TommyOMS Win User
    Clean install windows 10 with old windows 7 key?

Hi,

I have a windows 7 machine that was upgraded to Windows 10, however, my HDD is having issues and doesn't pass SeaTool (Seagate drive), everytime I tried to clone the HDD to a new SSD via USB it will fail. Various methods have been tried.

So now that I installed the new SSD (swap out the old HDD) and clean install straight to windows 10 via USB boot. My old Windows 7 product key does not allow to activate. What can I do?

Sincerely

TommyOMS, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Disconnect the old drive.
    Install Windows 7 to the SSD, apply SP1 if needed.
    Upgrade to Windows 10.
    Reconnect old drive, copy anything you want/need from the old drive to teh SSD.
    Do a quick format of the old drive and it's all set to use.

Windows 7 tutorials:

Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums
    SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

Windows 10 tutorials:

Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

Ztruker, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Erikkui Win User
    Wow! Thanks for super-fast reply and those links, I'll check them out! *Smile

Erikkui, Aug 3, 2015
  6. After you get Win 10 installed and activated on the SSD, you can do whatever you want with the HDD---wipe it clean, leave it as is, etc.

Here's what I would do, in this order.

Disconnect the HDD or remove it entirely.

Install the SSD.

Install the legal Windows 7 onto the SSD.

Do an upgrade install of Win 10 to the SSD. Make sure it's activated.

Do a clean install of Win 10 to the SSD. Make sure it's activated.

Reconnect the HDD and then sort out your data and put it where you need to put it. The HDD would presumably be recognized as drive D or E. You might have to find a tutorial on how to get your data to appear as under C:\users if that's what you want. Or you could just ignore C:\users and keep your data directly on D.

You ought to have some type of backup of your personal data files now on the HDD. Maybe you already do?

ignatzatsonic, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Erikkui Win User
    Yeah, I'll propably just leave my data to D:\Users. You mean I can just leave C:\users to be and move on? I also read about registry tweak that can be used to change default installation location (I would like to install many less often used programs to D instead of C).

Erikkui, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 and new SSD with Windows 7 in old HDD - Similar Threads - SSD old HDD

2. New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Windows 10 Installation on new SSD made old Windows 10 on Old SSD Unbootable: I installed a new Windows 10 OS on a new SSD without any issues. After I finished checking the new Windows 10 installation I noticed that the boot screen now shows 2 Windows 10 to boot into. The one that goes to the new Windows 10 OS started with no problem, but the one that...
  3. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  4. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  5. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Upgrading Windows 7 license on HDD to Windows 10 license on new SSD

Upgrading Windows 7 license on HDD to Windows 10 license on new SSD: Hi, I have an old Toshiba PC with Windows 7 OEM and HDD. I plan to replace the HDD with an SSD and install Windows 10 21H1. I created the installation media with the Media Creation Tool on a USB stick from another computer of mine. What should I do to upgrade from a Windows 7...
  7. Upgrade Windows 7 License on HDD to Windows 10 License on new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade Windows 7 License on HDD to Windows 10 License on new SSD: Hi, I have an old Toshiba PC with Windows 7 OEM and HDD. I plan to replace the HDD with an SSD and install Windows 10 21H1. I created the installation media with the Media Creation Tool on a USB stick from another computer of mine. What should I do to upgrade from a Windows 7...
  8. Old HDD Windows Key to new SSD.

Old HDD Windows Key to new SSD.: Hello. I just recently had to install a inactivated windows after unplugging my hard drive and leaving my ssd. I had to do this because my computer was being insanely slow and clearly had several problems. This helped a lot because it basically just wiped my computer....
  9. Windows 10 Installation to new SSD while keeping old HDD

Windows 10 Installation to new SSD while keeping old HDD: Installed a new SSD, so my PC now has two drives. Have been running Windows 10 on the old HDD. I want to install Windows 10 on the new SSD. Using the Windows ISO DVD I made there is no choice where to install WIndows 10. I am not sure how to remove Windows 10 from the old HDD...
  10. Windows 10 installed on old HDD and new SSD, willl it cause problems ?

Windows 10 installed on old HDD and new SSD, willl it cause problems ?: I have recently bought a Samsung 250G SSD and installed windows on it and still have my old harddrive, it was kind of in a spur of the moment thing and I did not export some settings from certain applications dont have conf files that I can copyto the new SSD and require me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new windows 10 pc old windows 7 ssd does not appear