Windows 10: Windows 10 and privacy and performance concerns

Discus and support Windows 10 and privacy and performance concerns in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I've read a lot about privacy, spying etc. I'm more concerned about the performance that is taken away because of the unnecessary services... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bellzemos, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Bellzemos Win User

Windows 10 and privacy and performance concerns

Hello!

I've read a lot about privacy, spying etc. I'm more concerned about the performance that is taken away because of the unnecessary services running that are spying one me than the spying itself.

Anyway, what would be the cleanest and safest way to disable all that? Is there a recommenede tool or can I do it myself?

Thank you!

:)

Bellzemos, Feb 7, 2017
  2. Jsssssssss, Feb 7, 2017
  3. Concerns related to privacy and security

My question was about the phone number. Was it a Microsoft number? I fixed the problem with special software that gets rid of ransomware.

Joseph cormier, Feb 7, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

'Spying' by Microsoft if it happens is nothing compared to what national security agencies are doing. Don't user a computer at all if concerned and sell your mobile phone which is like walking around with a flashing beacon on top of your head.

Steve C, Feb 8, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    What 'spying' there is is mostly telemetry and usage statistics, none of it is linked to you as a person.

As for performance, 10 is a better performer than Windows 7 was and on a per with 8/8.1 so this telemetry should have minimal effect.

swarfega, Feb 8, 2017
  6. Win10Pro Win User
    Win10Pro, Feb 8, 2017
  7. Bellzemos Win User
    Bellzemos, Feb 8, 2017
  8. asusG Win User

MS-BOSS *Smile

I think I have seen this exact post elsewhere in another forum...yes those are good tools

asusG, Feb 8, 2017
  9. swarfega Win User
    Shutup10 would be my go to choice.

swarfega, Feb 8, 2017
  10. ahr10 Win User
    SpyBot and ShutpUp10 are excellent.

Use them both regularly and remember to re-run them after any Microsoft update!

ahr10, Feb 9, 2017
  11. Bellzemos Win User
    I think I'll go with O&O's ShutUp10. This is a stand-alone program (no installation), so I only have to run it after every Update, OK. What about ShutUp updates, I guess it won't update automatically so I have to do it manually, check after every Windows update for the ShutUp update? Tedious...

Bellzemos, Feb 9, 2017
  12. Bellzemos Win User
    Another question: what exaclty does Windows 10 send out, what kind of info? Personal data? Site passwords, like for Gmail? Where can I read about that?

Bellzemos, Feb 9, 2017
  13. ahr10 Win User

For a full description visit this official Microsoft site.
    Basically there are four levels:
    As a home user (even if you've got Pro) the lowest level is Basic - you cannot set the Security level. Providing you use basic you won't send the contents of any of your file, site passwords etc.

At basic this is what is sent. See the linked site for more information:

Yes that's correct. After every update check for ShutUp updates.

ahr10, Feb 9, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    If you use these tools, make sure you don't suddenly see 'Some settings are managed by your organisation' in e.g. Settings, Privacy. A very long time ago when I tried these, there were some side-effects. Maybe these have been overcome now.

dalchina, Feb 9, 2017
  15. ahr10 Win User
    The simple answer is: no, they haven't been overcome because of the way they work. They change registry settings and/or group policy settings which trick the OS into thinking there's an organisational administrator.

But if you want to get rid of the "Some settings are managed..." message (conspicuously printed in red text) you can use the software to 'Undo' or 'Remove' the changes and the message will disappear and the options will become editable directly in Windows again. It's no big deal, you're using third party software to manage your privacy settings.

Windows 10 and privacy and performance concerns [​IMG]

For example if I want to change the "Send Microsoft info" setting I'd have to deactivate that option in ShutUp10 and the red message would disappear.

ahr10, Feb 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 and privacy and performance concerns - Similar Threads - privacy performance concerns

2. Privacy concern !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Privacy concern !: Hello,Today when i was uninstalling unwanted apps i saw remote desktop connection. I don't think I installed that application or used it either. I recently added my school account to my Personal computer, I doubt that because I added my school account to my PC, this app got...
  3. Privacy concern !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Privacy concern !: Hello,Today when i was uninstalling unwanted apps i saw remote desktop connection. I don't think I installed that application or used it either. I recently added my school account to my Personal computer, I doubt that because I added my school account to my PC, this app got...
  4. Should i be concerned about privacy in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Should i be concerned about privacy in windows 10?: I've heard a lot about windows 10 not being a good option for privacy, but should i trust then? What exactly does microsoft collect when i use windows 10, and am i annomysed? submitted by /u/Wooden-Fan5324 [link] [comments]...
  5. Win 10 calender privacy concern

Win 10 calender privacy concern: It has a lot to do with this post that is already closed https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3g161t/calendar_in_windows_10_showing_birthdays_of/ I wonder what it goes off of? My Microsoft account? Is my info just shared with random ppl I've emailed just once in my...
  6. Automated Windows 10 slimming/ privacy concerns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automated Windows 10 slimming/ privacy concerns: A new utility has surfaced on GitHub utilising a front end for PowerShell scripts to facilitate removing Windows bloat and taming telemetry. Debloating Windows 10 and increasing privacy with SharpApp Personally I feel such changes can be managed by anyone willing to do a...
  7. New Lenovo W\ Win 10; Privacy Concerns

New Lenovo W\ Win 10; Privacy Concerns: Hey everyone, I just ordered a new Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Home 64. Now I've been using a locked down \ modded version of 7 Home 64 for years. Now the reason I say locked down \ modded, is because a round of updates from years before were considered to be a bit...
  8. Privacy concern

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Privacy concern: I got a video shows that windoes send screenshot to server The link is below https://youtu.be/zgs9g-Q-Zm8 Does windows send any screenshot ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/privacy-concern/2234f8cb-f1f4-484a-a227-acf01e0adfde"
  9. Privacy concerns

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Privacy concerns: I have a serious concern regarding my online privacy and security and can not seem to come right despite clean installs, premium AV etc. The problem seems to follow despite any efforts including use of a vpn. I do realize strange activity aswel like a program will load very...
  10. Performance concern

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance concern: Hi, My desktop basic configuration is ... Processor: AMD FX-8320, RAM: DDR3 16GB (HX318C10F/8 x 2), HD: WD Black 1TB, Motherboard: Asus M5A97, Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5450 & SMPS: Cooler Master GX 650W In stead of good configuration, most of time I don't feel...