Windows 10: Windows 10 and Second Monitor

Discus and support Windows 10 and Second Monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi Ya, I have a noodle scratcher. I just purchased an Acer Monitor (R0 R240HY). It works great on my Raspberry Pi. I then tried it on my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by windtenforu, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Windows 10 and Second Monitor

Hi Ya,

I have a noodle scratcher. I just purchased an Acer Monitor (R0 R240HY). It works great on my Raspberry Pi. I then tried it on my computer with Linux Mint, no problem. I then dual boot back to Windows 10, and for the life of me, can't get windows to detect that there is a monitor connected (display: Multiple Displays: Detect. Alternatively, windows key P). I am using the same HDMI Port/cable as when I used Linux. I found another monitor, and windows had no problem connecting to that.

So, obviously I think drivers. But I've updated the drivers several times, several iterations, several revisions. Current information:
    Monitor R240HY
    Windows 10 64 bit: 1703 (updated yesterday)
    Zenbook i7, 12 GB RAM, GPU: Nvidia 940M
    GeForce Game Ready Driver (whatever that means, but I thought I would try it) Version: 384.94.
    Intel HD Graphis 5500: 10.18.15.4281 (Update Driver claims it's the best)
    Nvidia GeForce 940M: 22.21.13.8494 (Update Driver claims it's the best)

I tried to get the drivers directly from Asus, but that didn't work, and they were old. I also tried the technique of disabling these two drivers and then reenabling.

Any help is SO SO appreciated, cause I've tried all I can think of. *Mad*cry

:)

windtenforu, Aug 9, 2017

2. Windows 10 won't return windows to reconnected second monitor

I am having an issue with windows 10 on a laptop. I have a second monitor I use at my desk that occasionally needs to be disconnected as I need to move my laptop around. When I do this, all of my open windows that were on the second monitor move to the
    laptops monitor, but when I reconnect the second monitor, I need to move all of the windows back to the second monitor. The second monitor is connected via VGA.

What I want is when I reconnect my second monitor I want all of my windows that were pulled off of the second monitor to move back to the second monitor when it is reconnected. Is this possible on Windows 10?

TJ Williams, Aug 9, 2017
  3. How do I add a second monitor to my acer Aspire R14 laptop running Windows 10?

How do I install a second monitor to my laptop running Windows 10. The second monitor is not detected.

ThomasPflomm, Aug 9, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Windows 10 and Second Monitor

Hi there. What's it looking like in Device Manager? Is it detected there?

Tony K, Aug 9, 2017
  5. When I unplug it, and plug it back in, it doesn't make a sound (like USB does), but I guess I don't know if HDMI works the same. The device manager doesn't refresh like it does with USB. So nothing new pops in there.

The Intel HD Graphics 5500 and NVIDIA GeForce 940M are listed.

THANKS!

windtenforu, Aug 9, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Aug 9, 2017
  7. Yeah, the fact that it works on Linux is pretty solid evidence that it is a Windows problem.

Hrm, their user manual doesn't mention a driver. Their site does offer a driver: Product support

But it doesn't offer an executable program. And I don't see it pop up in Device Manager, so how would one install it?

I'll probably have to disable driver signature, but not sure what to do beyond that.

Thanks!!

windtenforu, Aug 9, 2017
  8. Tony K Win User

Yes, it's weird. I downloaded the driver. No exe nor inf file.

Obviously Windows doesn't see the monitor at all to load a driver. Is this a UEFI system? Are you familiar with the BIOS? It may be a port setting there or with your video adapter.

Tony K, Aug 9, 2017
  9. I didn't think it could be a setting in the bios/ufei on account that it worked in Linux. But I just booted it up and looked around. The only seemingly GPU related setting was the DVMT (set to 32M).

Safemode didn't seem to help at all.

windtenforu, Aug 9, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    Well, this is "a noodle scratcher" for sure! *Confused

Ok so we know Windows can't see it at all. Back to hardware. Is the hookup HDMI, DVI, or VGA? Is the cable the correct one for Windows?

Tony K, Aug 9, 2017
  11. Welp, I got it to work, but I don't know how. Some notes for others in case they find themselves in this boat:

I thought, "there's no windows specific HDMI." But I gave it a shot anyhow: I found an HDMI to VGA cord and a VGA cord. With this I connected the PC to the monitor (HDMI to VGA). This did not work. I then rebooted into Linux. Supprisingly, the monitor would not work, but whatever. I then tried this on the Raspberry Pi, and that worked. OK. I then went back to just an HDMI cord from the Linux computer to the monitor. It worked (as before). I then rebooted back to Windows, and tada, it works.

This is really fustrating. I rebooted the system many many many times. I unplugged/replugged the system too. I also showed that it worked in Linux, didn't touch any hardware, rebooted to Windows and it would not work. But now it just does???

This is some twilight zone stuff here. I'll never restart or disconnect the system now...
    Anyhow, many thanks, @HippsieGypsie!

Also, FYI, it is just an amazon basic HDMI Cable.

windtenforu, Aug 9, 2017
  12. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. Learned something here. Perhaps there was a pin on the hookup that wasn't seated properly? Then when you reseated it connected. Only thing I can think of.

Glad you got it fixed. *Thumbs

Now you can enjoy that good feeling of accomplishment. *Biggrin

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 and Second Monitor - Similar Threads - Second Monitor

2. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected: I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop didn't seem to notice that my second monitor wasn't connected anymore, so when I launched it the app kept opening on the...
  3. Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows opens program on second monitor that is not connected: I have already found a solution on this, but I thought it could be helpful for other people struggling with the same problem.A certain app on my laptop didn't seem to notice that my second monitor wasn't connected anymore, so when I launched it the app kept opening on the...
  4. How do I save a theme with a different wallpaper for my second monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I save a theme with a different wallpaper for my second monitor?: I've entered the settings, set a different wallpaper for my second monitor, and saved it as a theme. When I change to a different theme and change back, the second monitor doesn't update.I checked the theme file and it does reference both images, so I'm not sure why the...
  5. How do I save a theme with a different wallpaper for my second monitor?

How do I save a theme with a different wallpaper for my second monitor?: I've entered the settings, set a different wallpaper for my second monitor, and saved it as a theme. When I change to a different theme and change back, the second monitor doesn't update.I checked the theme file and it does reference both images, so I'm not sure why the...
  6. Second Monitors colors are messed up after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Monitors colors are messed up after Windows 10 update: My second monitor's colors are a messed up and there are lines showing after the new windows 10 update. I have a nvidia 1060 max q graphics card. Installing the newest drivers did not seems to help , tried the monitor on a different laptop it works fines . How can I fix this?...
  7. Second Monitors colors are messed up after Windows 10 update

Second Monitors colors are messed up after Windows 10 update: My second monitor's colors are a messed up and there are lines showing after the new windows 10 update. I have a nvidia 1060 max q graphics card. Installing the newest drivers did not seems to help , tried the monitor on a different laptop it works fines . How can I fix this?...
  8. Second Monitors colors are messed up after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Cat walked on my laptop, now my Monitor/Second Screen has a white haze. How do I fix it? I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cat walked on my laptop, now my Monitor/Second Screen has a white haze. How do I fix it? I...: I have tried display settings and whatnot, seems like some sort of shortcut was keyed and needs to be reversed. When I take screenshots, the screenshots don't show the white haze. This is a work computer so I'm not able to go into administration settings as well as I don't...
  10. Cat walked on my laptop, now my Monitor/Second Screen has a white haze. How do I fix it? I...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cat walked on my laptop, now my Monitor/Second Screen has a white haze. How do I fix it? I...: I have tried display settings and whatnot, seems like some sort of shortcut was keyed and needs to be reversed. When I take screenshots, the screenshots don't show the white haze. This is a work computer so I'm not able to go into administration settings as well as I don't...