Windows 10: Windows 10 and system restore

Discus and support Windows 10 and system restore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Would like to know if it's possible to do a system restore setting with my 8.1 and then try the Win 10 update. If not happy with the update, is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve Davis, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Windows 10 and system restore

Would like to know if it's possible to do a system restore setting with my 8.1 and then try the Win 10 update. If not happy with the update, is it possible to restore to the restore point before the update. I'm pretty certain nothing is this easy but I have to ask. Steve

:)

Steve Davis, Jan 2, 2016

2. System restore is deleting restore points, and when i added a new one before making changes to my pc,

If you go into Windows/Panther file you'll find the files Setuperr and Setupact text files. If you read through them you'll find a line stating "Erase Restore Points" or something to that effect. You've likely found that to be quite accurate. As far as I
    can tell this emerged when MS was allowing free upgrades to the Windows 10 system or possibly Anniversary update. I never saw it activate until Update 1709 and Windows 10 Update Assistant emerged with it. Bottom line you better have a BU drive and BU software
    independent of System image in Control Panel. Plus Acronis, and excellent program I'm told, has been linked with installation problems in Update 1709. Understand though there are dozens of problems linked to Update 1709.

Jon Baker US=FTC, Jan 2, 2016
  3. System restore is deleting restore points, and when i added a new one before making changes to my pc,

I tried this a couple times and will not let me restore or reset. ran chkdsk and sfc/scannow. there are no errors. my Pc is up to date there are no garbage files. I am not happy with the way Microsoft is dealing with these issues. FIX IT ALREADY. system
    refresh just freezes

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

duane myers, Jan 2, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Windows 10 and system restore

System restore won't work because the moment you install a new OS, all previous restore points are nullified and back to zero.
    Preferably, you would want to burn your Win 8.1 iso to a bootable DVD or USB. You can then use that to reinstall Win 8.1 anytime you want.
    If that is not possible, then a system image backup as suggested to you is your second choice.

If you upgrade to Win 10 from your Win 8.1 system, you have 30 days to "play" with it.
    If you like it, continue.
    If you don't, you have the option to "Go back to Win 8.1" within that 30 days period.

davidhk, Jan 2, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    No, that is not possible. You need to do an image backup of Windows 8.1 to an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect Free.
    Then upgrade to Windows 10. If problems or you don't like it, try the rollback that is built into to Windows 10. If it doesn't work right which happens more often than it should, then simply restore the image backup and you are right back to Windows 8.1, exactly as it was when you created the backup.

If you don't have one, you can buy a 1TB external hard drive for $49.

Ztruker, Jan 3, 2016
  6. No, because it will be reset. Run a disk imager.

HanginJang, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 and system restore

1. Windows 10 and system restore - Similar Threads - system restore

2. any use us todo backup and restore to make system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    any use us todo backup and restore to make system image: anybody use us todo back up and restore for system imaging 142371
  3. Win 10: Can't create system restore point.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10: Can't create system restore point.: I ran into this problem sometime back. I eventually had to re-set win 10. Finally got it the way I wanted it. This time I think the error report might be a different number. Same problem. Please try to run system restore again (0x81000203)-please close property page. I ran...
  4. System Restore or Reinstall Windows 10

System Restore or Reinstall Windows 10: About a week ago I suspected a third party had accessed my computer. Since that time, I have not experienced any unusual activity on my PC. However, I want to be proactive to protect my PC. I realize reinstalling Windows 10 would be a protective corrective action. But...
  5. system restore

system restore: There is a glitch with system restore. if you use a pin to sign in to Windows then performing system restore by going to settings>update and security> recovery>.advanced startup> restart now and choose system restore to be in special environment for system restore to work...
  6. Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore

Windows 10 install says not enough space to upgrade or system restore: I think that I have made a mess of my new Laptop Computer, unfortunately. I bought it a couple of years ago. My Desktop Computer recently got a blue screen after just trying to do a System Restore on it, and I was unable to fix it to get it working again. I tried everything....
  7. I can't make Windows Backup and Restore (Windows 7), restore my system image anymore

I can't make Windows Backup and Restore (Windows 7), restore my system image anymore: I have successfully used the Windows Backup and Restore (Windows 7) program for a few years now with no problems, but lately it is unsuccessful in installing the system image from the portable hard drive. Is there a procedure that I am not following? Should I disconnect the...
  8. System restore failing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore failing: Im running the latest version of Windows 10 and whenever I try to do a system restore I get this error: “System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and Settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed to extract the original copy of...
  9. System Restore has been restoring the registry for 7-1/2 hours

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore has been restoring the registry for 7-1/2 hours: ` I have been watching the following for more than 7 hours... What do I do? Thanks! Vince [img] 141410
  10. The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified...

The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified...: Hello to everyone, I'm trying to boot again an old installation of windows 10 that has been damaged by the miray hdclone tool that has removed the partition table but not the files. Infact with the getdataback tool I've been able to recover every file. What I did has been to...