Windows 10: Windows 10 and Thumbs.db

Discus and support Windows 10 and Thumbs.db in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I remember that in the old XP times, Windows creates a Thumbs.db folder containing the thumbnails cache for that folder and that folder only. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AlphaUMi, Aug 20, 2016.

1. AlphaUMi Win User

Windows 10 and Thumbs.db

Hi!

I remember that in the old XP times, Windows creates a Thumbs.db folder containing the thumbnails cache for that folder and that folder only. I remember also that a lot of people were disappointed having such files scattered all over their drives. I found out that Windows 10 "centralize" the thumbnails cache in some folder in user profile.

Well, I was happy with the Thumbs.db file generated in each folder, because this way I had control over each folder should have an immediate representation or not. With Windows 10 it's all a matter of all/nothing option.

There is a way to restore the old behavior, like in Windows XP, in Windows 10? I mean, create a Thumbs.db file in each folder instead of "centralize" the cache in one single file for the whole drive?

:)

AlphaUMi, Aug 20, 2016

2. unable to delete thumbs.db in windows 10

unable to delete thumbs.db in windows 10

Paul DiGaudio, Aug 20, 2016
  3. windows 10, Unable To delete thumbs.db files

windows 10, Unable To delete thumbs.db files

Paul DiGaudio, Aug 20, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Windows 10 and Thumbs.db

From what I have seen Win10 still does it that way but you only see the Thumb.db IF you have unchecked Hide Protected System Files
    you will also see a Desktop.ini file along with it in many folders.

Windows 10 and Thumbs.db [​IMG]

Kbird, Aug 20, 2016
  5. AlphaUMi Win User
    All hidden ans system files are set to be showed, I can see Desktop.ini file where present, but there is no trace of Thumbs.db in folders containing media files. Instead, there is a solid thumbnail file cache in C:\Users\{user-name}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer.

Can you confirm you have a thumbs.db file in every folder containing a media file?

AlphaUMi, Aug 20, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    I do if I uncheck that setting , they are everywhere , even on the Desktop if I save a screen shot there for example.

see here after I unchecked it just now

Windows 10 and Thumbs.db [​IMG]

Unless they changed that in the AU/1607 ? as this computer has not been offered the AU Update yet.

I have 5 different Thumbcache files in that directory BTW , 32 , 48, 96, 256 and idx

Kbird, Aug 21, 2016
  7. AlphaUMi Win User
    I have a theory. Let's proof it. Prerequisite: are those Thumbs.db recent, or are they a remnant of a previous Windows installation?

Try to delete (or move, if you want) that files and see if Windows recreates them.

Are Thumbs.db in folders containing media (images, videos), where they are supposed to be? If they do, try to delete or move the thumbs.db files just to see if they are recreated (as it should be)....

AlphaUMi, Aug 21, 2016
  8. Windows 10 and Thumbs.db

Thumbs.db is still created when browsing folders though a network, or if it gets routed though the network layer. I believe Libraries use a network layer.

Anyways for your question. No you cannot switch it back to the older behavior.

logicearth, Aug 21, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    Desktop ones are a few days old but some of the other are likely 2-3 yrs old and maybe from Win7? I just assumed they were updated when needed automatically but I really don't know enough about it to offer any advice.

at what point does a rebuild occur or what should trigger it ? desktop.ini seems to be there after every reboot again in folders anyway.

Kbird, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 and Thumbs.db

1. Windows 10 and Thumbs.db - Similar Threads - Thumbs

2. My USB Thumb Drive isnt recognized by my computer, iPhone, or any other device after...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My USB Thumb Drive isnt recognized by my computer, iPhone, or any other device after...: My device is a BLANBOK+ Flash Drive that has both USB and iPhone Lightning connectors on it. Its great to use for both devices. I wanted to access a few items today and i plugged in my flash drive into my computer via the USB and i got a prompt that said something along the...
  3. My USB Thumb Drive isnt recognized by my computer, iPhone, or any other device after...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My USB Thumb Drive isnt recognized by my computer, iPhone, or any other device after...: My device is a BLANBOK+ Flash Drive that has both USB and iPhone Lightning connectors on it. Its great to use for both devices. I wanted to access a few items today and i plugged in my flash drive into my computer via the USB and i got a prompt that said something along the...
  4. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  5. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  6. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

7. Create recovery drive process is not finding USB thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create recovery drive process is not finding USB thumb drive: I'm attempting to create a recovery drive, following the instructions here. This process has worked fine until my most recent attempt earlier this week.If I leave the 'Back up system files to the recovery drive' box checked, the process does not detect my thumb drive, only my...
  8. Create recovery drive process is not finding USB thumb drive

Create recovery drive process is not finding USB thumb drive: I'm attempting to create a recovery drive, following the instructions here. This process has worked fine until my most recent attempt earlier this week.If I leave the 'Back up system files to the recovery drive' box checked, the process does not detect my thumb drive, only my...
  9. Can a single thumb drive hold 2 recovery drive files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a single thumb drive hold 2 recovery drive files?: Hi,I had made a recovery drive when I first set up my laptop and got everything I wanted running on a thumb drive with 64gb memory space. If I were to create a new recovery drive using the same thumb drive, would my old recovery files be deleted or would it be able to hold...
  10. Can a single thumb drive hold 2 recovery drive files?

Can a single thumb drive hold 2 recovery drive files?: Hi,I had made a recovery drive when I first set up my laptop and got everything I wanted running on a thumb drive with 64gb memory space. If I were to create a new recovery drive using the same thumb drive, would my old recovery files be deleted or would it be able to hold...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows phone thumbs db delete