Windows 10: Windows 10 anniversary update fails and hangs computer

Discus and support Windows 10 anniversary update fails and hangs computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have been running Windows 10 on a pretty plain Dell Inspiron. Today it asked if I wanted to install an update so I let it. After almost an hour of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stevetten, Sep 15, 2016.

1. stevetten Win User

Windows 10 anniversary update fails and hangs computer

I have been running Windows 10 on a pretty plain Dell Inspiron. Today it asked if I wanted to install an update so I let it. After almost an hour of showing a progress meter and seeming to finish that phase, it rebooted and proceeded to seem to install but then put up a message about "install ?? this could take a while" so I walked away and when I came back after an hour I had a blank screen and just a rotating busy symbol. I am assuming this is the "anniversary" update since no other updates have ever taken this long or acted this way, except for the original Windows 10 install/update itself.

So after waiting 6 hours, I powered it off and back on and as it came up it indicated "trying to fix the install" then briefly brought up the "Dell label screen" and the usual box picture and went back to the blank screen with a busy rotating symbol.

Can someone point to a site that indicates how to get around this and restore back to where it was? Right now I have a totally unusable PC and do not know how to proceed. Thanks

By the way is it labeled "anniversary update"???

:)

stevetten, Sep 15, 2016

2. Windows 10 Anniversary Update error

This error is showing every few minutes in event viewer after upgrading windows 10 with anniversary update. so please help me to solve this problem. And cortana is not available after update. computer hangs every times

Driver install failed, result=0x80070422 for devnode 'BTH\MS_BTHPAN\7&4D00321&5&2'

HardikBhandari, Sep 15, 2016
  3. Update to Windows 10 1607

Hello!

After (anniversary update) update 1607 windows 10

Computer always hangs and freeze on opening window or program lunch

before update 1607 (anniversary update) all was good and fast, not freeze and hangs.

HDD (Sata) unplug when I use it (gaming) and it needs to restart Windows (turn off PC from, outlet wall or switch off power) that Windows view hdd (sata WD 1TB)

When microsoft does fix it?

Dmitriy Zemlyanskiy, Sep 15, 2016
  4. stevetten Win User

I saw a post that indicated multiple power off/on corrected this issue. I tried that and the first power off/on went back to a blank screen with the busy icon, 2nd time same effect, third time a message reinstalling previous OS and went back and recovered.
    I checked WIndows update and it had installed some 13 updates?? Did it partially install WIndows 10 anniversary version 1607??? Now I have to spend time figuring out what is there and how to get the total anniversary update (1607) installed.

stevetten, Sep 16, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    No, it's not possible to do a partial install of the 1607. The Anniversary Update is a full install of a new OS. As part of the process Setup copied the whole of your old system to a Windows.old folder. It was this that was used to reinstall the previous OS, as indicated by the message you saw. You should now be back to exactly where you were before you started. If you had succeeded in installing 1607 then your update history would start again from scratch. The 13 updates you see listed are the ones 1511 had installed - check their dates.

The safest way to get the Anniversary Update is to download the .iso and use that. See the tutorial....
    How to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update
    ...which includes these instructions:

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 anniversary update fails and hangs computer - Similar Threads - anniversary update fails

2. Windows 10 updates fail because the computer hangs when it reboots.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 updates fail because the computer hangs when it reboots.: Windows 10 updates fail. The computer hangs when it reboots but can be restarted by powering off and on. Get a message about the failed update being removed and the computer proceeds to do just that. It starts successfully after a bit of a wait.Does anybody know what's...
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary update: Please bear with me.. I'm on my phone.. the Anniversary update must have taken over my computer. But.. is 5 hours normal? It did restart like it said a couple of times and the last percentage I saw was 59%, then the reboot again. It is "still" working on something. The circle...
  4. Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?

Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?: I just updated my 64-bit PC with the anniversary update, as confirmed by the changes to the notification at far right, and all programs showing on the start menu. But then, I tried the update on my 32-bit PC, which I started and let run while away from it. When I came...
  5. Installed Anniversary Update on SB, Windows Updates are failing

Installed Anniversary Update on SB, Windows Updates are failing: Hello all, I installed the Anniversary Windows 10 update from scratch on my Surface Book. After installing all the Surface Book drivers, I ran Windows Update and it downloaded and wanted to install more device drivers. Most of those drivers failed to install and it...
  6. Windows 10 anniversary update

Windows 10 anniversary update: Hi all this update is killing me I called MS they downloaded it agene for me .I get freezing and bsod every time I play a game and sometimes at idle I updated, repaired every game I have . I am tempted to buy windows10pro and block updates if I can. sorry for the rant I am...
  7. Windows 10 will not update to anniversary.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not update to anniversary.: So , I got a laptop with Windows 10 about a month ago. I had some problems with blue screen and things which happen sometimes but I am fine with it as it doesn't happen that often. Right now , my PC keeps insisting to update to Windows 10 Anniversary edition and everytime...
  8. Windows 10 to "anniversary" update FAILS... no message... no clue

Windows 10 to "anniversary" update FAILS... no message... no clue: I finally managed to get my laptop running on Windows 10. All was fine, running build 10240 (RTM, Threshold 1). But then the Windows Upgrade assistant informed me that I'm on an outdated version of Windows 10 and that I should update. Apparently it is pretty massive, an...
  9. Anniversary update fails

Anniversary update fails: I'm helping a friend with her Toshiba laptop. It came with Windows 7 and she had updated it to windows 10 but could not update to the anniversary version. The anniversary update repeatedly failed for me too. So I did a sfc/scannow which found errors and fixed them. I...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Windows 10 Anniversary Update: I have read other threads on this subject and have not found the solution to my problem in them. The Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade Assistant Icon appeared on my desktop. I began the process to update and received the error, SOMETHING WENT WRONG (code 0x80070057). Then...