Windows 10: Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

Discus and support Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since this post is active I'll add my HDD issues on here. Prior to the Anniversary update I had created a HDD Pool using the built in Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Helderjfl, Aug 2, 2016.

1. rleal Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

Since this post is active I'll add my HDD issues on here.

Prior to the Anniversary update I had created a HDD Pool using the built in Microsoft Storage Spaces and had 5 WD Black 1TB HDDs plugged in. The storage pool worked fine but once I upgraded to the Anniversary update the Storage Pools started acting up. It started showing 1 drive as "Reduced resiliency; check the Physical drives section" and it suggested replacing the HDD. But the thing is the drive is only one month old and was working fine prior.

In the end I did as Storage Spaces suggest and removed the drive (physically removed it from PC as well). I then checked the HDD for issues and nothing was wrong with it so I simply formatted the drive and plugged it back in. At this point all the HDDs in the Storage pool were listed as OK, including the one that was previously showing as consider replacing.

Everything was going well but then the next day I started getting another notification from Storage Spaces that showed more errors on the Storage Pool. It then showed that 2 HDDs had "Reduced resiliency" and then it eventually went to show "Inaccessible" for another drive which added up to 3 HDDs. At this point it was just ridiculous since all the drives were bought at the same time and were new. What was even more ridiculous was that once I shutdown the computer and unplugged all the HDDs, booted Windows on its own HDD, shutdown and reconnected the 5 HDDs and booted Windows again they all showed as OK on the Storage Space.

That fix was short-lived for the problem returned and it then listed one of the drives in a red "error" icon and then the entire Pool just vanished, to which I had to disconnect and reconnect all the drives to fix the issue. And as before it then listed all the drives as OK which is just insane and drives me crazy.

What I am currently doing is backing up all my data onto my external drives and will try to recreate the pool from scratch. But I am considering doing a fresh install of the Anniversary update to see if it will fix any of the issues by creating the storage space after the fresh install. If it will work I have no idea but I do hope it does fix the issue.

Overall the HDDs were randomly going into low power mode I believe and so the Storage Manager couldn't detect the drives which is why it was listed as either Reduced Resiliency or Inaccessible. I could be wrong of course but it is a case for the disappearing Hard Drives.

If anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

rleal, Aug 7, 2016
  2. arspr Win User

As posted in TweakGuides.com, there are updates for W10 including 1607 (Anniversary edition):
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...update-history

Nothing is explicitly mentioned about this issue so I don't expect anything solved, but it would be nice if people affected by this issue who continue in 1607 build, could re-test their drives. Does 1607's KB3176495 do anything relevant for us?

(BTW, I can confirm I've received 1511's KB3176493).

BTW 2: there's much discussion about this in this thread in reddit.

arspr, Aug 9, 2016
  3. Carsomyr Win User
    I have KB3176495 installed (Windows is now version 14393.51), I just tried my external HDD again and no dice. Maybe in the next group of fixes we'll get some love Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd :p Until then my laptop will stay on 1511 so i have access to my drive *Biggrin

Carsomyr, Aug 9, 2016
  4. volta9e Win User

Same problem here, rolling back fixed it for now.
    Microsoft is still trying to figure out what is causing it, they know about the problem. They are even active on Reddit.
    If anyone wants to help out, then contact the MS guy on the MS forum by sending him a PM: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-f1872b7b4ba1

He sent me some scripts for data collection but im not really comfortable with amount of data that is collected, the logs basically contain all filenames from the user directories that were moved during the upgrade process and even some fragments(real content) of private data from random sectors... I sure won't send such data for fun, that is just lazy, they could have excluded some logs that are CLEARLY not needed for analysis. I wouldn't mind him connecting to my PC to try to figure it out, but with blind data collection with irrelevant private data I just have to say no thanks, I will rather stay on the old version.

volta9e, Aug 9, 2016
  5. arspr Win User
    A bit off-topic but nevertheless...

To your comment:
    I answer with an auto-quote:
    It's sad, but Microsoft really should revise the image they project about privacy intrusion... I wouldn't share ANYTHING with them either. I can fully understand you.

arspr, Aug 9, 2016
  6. IanK Win User
    Upgrading to 1607 caused the second *internal* HDD on one of my PCs to be inaccessible as RAW format.
    I connected the HDD to another PC running 1607 and was able to access the data, although I had to import foreign disk in Disk Management.
    I then backed up all the data, replaced the HDD in the original PC, deleted the RAW partition, formatted it and copied the data back on. Now it works.
    Was quite scary for a while...

7. angd Win User
    here are my issues with the 1607 update. I have 2 WD my passport external drives and both show up as RAW. however on a laptop with 1511 version both these drives work as expected showing NTFS. I also have 2 seagate external slim drives. Both of those drives work on the 1607 update. For me the problem appears to be with the WD drives. I contacted WD , their solution is to reformat, but i wont do that since they work perfectly on earlier versions of windows. For information only I also have 2 WD blue internal drives and they are working fine on the windows 1607 build. Also have installed the latest updates to 1607 but the drive issues still remain.

8. arspr Win User

Hey, guys. I've just found this page ( 16 Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues How to Fix Them ), where the NTFS/RAW problem is mentioned and it says two free disk utils can "fix" it.

Maybe, it's worth a try.

(As they are low level partition tools, I recommend to previously back-up your drive, nonetheless... Remember your drive is fine, so you are trying to fix something that isn't broken...)

arspr, Aug 10, 2016
  9. Adalwar Win User
    When I upgrade from 8.1 to 10, I had a problem also a External HDD and at the end I lost almost all Data on HDD, the HDD is quite new, little usage for Backup purposes , so there is no Hardware problem with HDD.

Probably it is a USB Drivers problem!
    Yesterday I noticed a strange behavior with external USB HDD.
    I had a External HDD connected to USB 3.0 Port and added a Second External HDD to the 2nd USB 3.0 Port and Windows disconnected the First HDD and connected it again automatically along with the Second HDD.
    Windows explorer was poping up 2 times, one for each drive.
    I think this is not normal, disconnect and reconnect Drive just because I connected a 2nd Drive.
    I have not seen this behavior before and I think this is very risky.

Adalwar, Aug 10, 2016
  10. angd Win User

11. angd Win User
    i am not tech expert, but with the issues relating to RAW drives, if you roll back to 1511, wont the system want to reinstall 1607 in a few days?

Also i tried checking my external drives using easeus partiton program as suggest in another post as a way to fix the RAW issue.

IT confirms that my drive is NTFS and is all in good shape.

12. arspr Win User
    So, what you say is you can't fix it because those tools don't see anything to fix. (Exactly what happens with windows own chkdsk). That makes sense and would render those 3rd party tools useless...

About the possible re-update:

I don't know how Windows is coded but Microsoft would be pretty stupid and suicidal if they re-automatically applied an update which the user has rolled back from because it is suffering troubles (the roll back process does explicitly ask you about your reasons...)

Nevertheless, if you are in Pro (not in Home) you can tick a safety "Defer updates" or something like that inside Advanced Options of Windows Update.

arspr, Aug 11, 2016
  13. Alboari Win User

I have the ame issue
    One of my USB 2.0 pots do not appear in Device manager

Alboari, Aug 11, 2016
  14. arspr Win User
    Please clarify because that's not the same issue.

The issue here is NTFS partitions seen as RAW (in Disk Manager) so the drive is not accessible. But the HDD drive (hardware) itself remains perfectly visible.

arspr, Aug 11, 2016
  15. Adalwar Win User
    In other words, what it means is that Windows is not handling properly the Filesystem.

Adalwar, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd - Similar Threads - Anniversary update problems

2. Problem with external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with external HDD: Hello, i have problem with external hdd when i plug in my external hdd into pc "this pc" loading and i can see hdd but cant access and cant see memory. When i try to open disk management it just loading and cant access but when i unplug external hdd everything is normal. I...
  3. external hdd problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hdd problem: hi my external hard drive is corrupted what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-problem/097d2cba-a617-47af-8600-fe5eeade7e81
  4. not recognizing external hdd after updating to windows insider program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not recognizing external hdd after updating to windows insider program: devicewd elements 25a2 2tb doesn't show in windows explorer, shows on device manager, and it says that the device is "working properly", and that the driver is the newest. but the driver date in disk management shows as 6/21/2006I tried looking for it in disk management, but...
  5. Windows 10 doesn't recognize external hdd

Windows 10 doesn't recognize external hdd: I have a hdd that I took from my old laptop, and I'm trying to use it as an external hard drive for my new one, but it doesn't recognize it. I'm using a SATA III to USB-C adapter, I can feel and hear it spinning, but after like 15 seconds it stops. [ATTACH] This is what...
  6. External HDD problems...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD problems...: Hello! I am having major problems with my external WD MyBook Essentials 2TB USB 3.0. Windows 10 wont start up the drive anymore. When i plug it in. It recognises it as a hard drive "D:\" somehow, but totally stucks in a loop where it just keeps loading but nothing will...
  7. External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?

External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate and now my Seagate USB HDD is no longer being recognized,no drive letters show at all but it is showing that it is plugged in on the task bar and is showing in "Device Manager" as plugged in and enabled but in...
  8. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10: As already someone asked years ago (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-not-recognized-as-ssd-in-windows-10/70716cb4-34a8-475c-8267-c4a5669beeeb) without any positive fix, I'm here to do the same question again. Why my windows 10 pro x64...
  9. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem: Hello guys, I have small problem updating Windows 10 to the Anniversary update/build on my PC. I was downloading the 1607 build this morning through Windows update as usual and it installed some other updates, but not the build update. Now it keeps saying that my PC is...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....: Hi, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro edition 10586.494 without issue,as I have not yet received the automatic update to the Anniversary Edition I decided to install it manually. I downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade assistant and it checked my PC and proceeded to...