Windows 10: Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

Discus and support Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 2 external drives and it didn't affect either. I've noticed better noticeable better performance after the Anniversary update. Mine weren't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Helderjfl, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Wynona Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

Mine weren't affected either. Go figure.

Wynona, Aug 11, 2016

2. After I installed 1607 and turned on my External USB3 HD......it's blue light just kept blinking, NOT Normal, then I see W10 is displaying an Icon that tells me it is Setting UP Device........turns out it is an ETERNAL Setup! With it ON.......you see NO Drives in Disk Management.....turn off ext. drive and my 2 Internal Drives do show up. Have tried everything I can think of to NO avail?????
    Also, found out this AM when I went to use my Printer - the UPDATE also wiped out my Printer Drivers.....had to re-download and install them to use Printer again.

orbeavhawk, Aug 12, 2016
  3. Gniske Win User
    I updated my Windows 10 Intel nuc same problem have been in contact Microsoft Best not a good experience talk with intel Microsoft who have a problem I was told Microsoft says it is intel it's ridiculous enough to buy a product must work I have two Microsoft of lying After talking to them several times one of them the wing petitioners have the same problem not called These problems
    it tells me was so disappointed service what is it a hateful page on the Web you deserve

Does anyone know anything new about it 16.07

Gniske, Aug 14, 2016
  4. Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

I just spent 1.5 Hours on Hold for Tech Support fm MS to get help solving my External HDD being un-useable after 1607 Install. May donate more time to them tomorrow.

orbeavhawk, Aug 15, 2016
  5. angd Win User
    I wish you the best of luck with that process and hope they solve it.

6. Good grief ... you are dedicated ... 15 hours on hold!!!!

If you're willing to be a guinea pig

Try uninstalling your SATA controller in Device Manager (IDE ATA),
    shut down your machine
    ... wait a minute
    Start your machine and see if the SATA controller is installed.

If it hasn't picked up the change yet,
    right click on Computer name (at the top)
    pick scan for hardware changes
    let it cook

If necessary, manually run Windows Update to get the SATA controller from MS

If you're not that adventurous - run it by the MS support rep.

Slartybart, Aug 15, 2016
  7. Wynona Win User
    Ummmm, Bill, he held for an hour and a half. There's a dot between the one and the five. *Smile <ducking and running>

Wynona, Aug 15, 2016
  8. Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

The drive is NOT damaged - the data is fine.

The suggestion to roll back to 1511 in the link you provided has been offered and tested here - it works if you cannot wait for MS to patch this.

The suggestion to use partition recovery has also been offered here - not a paid version, but one of two free versions (Minitool or EaseUS). The link you provided seems to be selling a particular brand of recovery software which isn't needed

The drive is fine or else a rollback wouldn't fix the issue.

Slartybart, Aug 15, 2016
  9. Wynona Win User
    Isn't this one of those sites that says, "Yep, we've found your data, but you gotta register the free software to get it back"? And then when you click on Register, you get some exhorbitant registration cost?

Wynona, Aug 15, 2016
  10. Today I was actually successful and got to "spill da beans" to a Real MS Tech Support rep.......e "took CONTROL" of my 'puter and checked out all of the problems/symptoms and I am SORRY to report here.....he was unable to fix my PC......and gave me two options while we wait for a Patch from Above.......he offered to roll me back to previous W10 and then wait for the FIX.....or.......keep 1607 as is, unable to use Ext. HDD, and wait for that Patch. I chose the Latter! He escalated the Case to the Super Elevated Tech Support Levels. Over & Out while continuing to Hope and Pray!

orbeavhawk, Aug 16, 2016
  11. angd Win User
    I have read on two other forums where people have rolled back to 1511 only to find their system has update back to version 1607 several days later. rolling back seems to be a temporary solution at best.

12. Created an account just to inform that performing a rollback DID WORK. If you rather not wait for Microsoft to get a fix, please do roll back.
    I got the error "The parameter is incorrect" for my seagate NTFS hard disk. Running check disk for hours DID NOT HELP.

dragonex13, Aug 24, 2016
  13. zanegl Win User

You don't have to rollback to 1511...Just update your Windows 1607 AU with the KB3176936 and KB3176934 cumulative updates and ALL you external "aka RAW" usb discs and internal HDD and SSD discs are fully and functionally being recognized..

zanegl, Aug 24, 2016
  14. Carsomyr Win User
    I have 1607 with both KB3176936 and KB 3176934, and this is my external hard drive:

Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd [​IMG]

And it works just fine on my laptop which is still on 1511.

Carsomyr, Aug 24, 2016
  15. angd Win User
    I have both those updates and the problem with RAW is not fixed. In fact on another forum a MS guy stated that those two updates do not fix the RAW bug

Thema:

1. Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd - Similar Threads - Anniversary update problems

2. Problem with external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with external HDD: Hello, i have problem with external hdd when i plug in my external hdd into pc "this pc" loading and i can see hdd but cant access and cant see memory. When i try to open disk management it just loading and cant access but when i unplug external hdd everything is normal. I...
  3. external hdd problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hdd problem: hi my external hard drive is corrupted what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-problem/097d2cba-a617-47af-8600-fe5eeade7e81
  4. not recognizing external hdd after updating to windows insider program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not recognizing external hdd after updating to windows insider program: devicewd elements 25a2 2tb doesn't show in windows explorer, shows on device manager, and it says that the device is "working properly", and that the driver is the newest. but the driver date in disk management shows as 6/21/2006I tried looking for it in disk management, but...
  5. Windows 10 doesn't recognize external hdd

Windows 10 doesn't recognize external hdd: I have a hdd that I took from my old laptop, and I'm trying to use it as an external hard drive for my new one, but it doesn't recognize it. I'm using a SATA III to USB-C adapter, I can feel and hear it spinning, but after like 15 seconds it stops. [ATTACH] This is what...
  6. External HDD problems...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD problems...: Hello! I am having major problems with my external WD MyBook Essentials 2TB USB 3.0. Windows 10 wont start up the drive anymore. When i plug it in. It recognises it as a hard drive "D:\" somehow, but totally stucks in a loop where it just keeps loading but nothing will...
  7. External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?

External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate and now my Seagate USB HDD is no longer being recognized,no drive letters show at all but it is showing that it is plugged in on the task bar and is showing in "Device Manager" as plugged in and enabled but in...
  8. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10: As already someone asked years ago (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-not-recognized-as-ssd-in-windows-10/70716cb4-34a8-475c-8267-c4a5669beeeb) without any positive fix, I'm here to do the same question again. Why my windows 10 pro x64...
  9. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem: Hello guys, I have small problem updating Windows 10 to the Anniversary update/build on my PC. I was downloading the 1607 build this morning through Windows update as usual and it installed some other updates, but not the build update. Now it keeps saying that my PC is...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....: Hi, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro edition 10586.494 without issue,as I have not yet received the automatic update to the Anniversary Edition I decided to install it manually. I downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade assistant and it checked my PC and proceeded to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. updating windows 10 with an external hdd storage sense