Windows 10: Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

Discus and support Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I wish to say Thanks for this thread, it gave me the idea of using a bit of caution. I hadn't Upgraded my main computer from Version 1511 to Version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Helderjfl, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Berton Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

I wish to say Thanks for this thread, it gave me the idea of using a bit of caution. I hadn't Upgraded my main computer from Version 1511 to Version 1607 until yesterday and thanks to this thread I first pulled the power from my 3 USB drives, did the Upgrade and assured most things worked then plugged the drives in and things are good.

Berton, Aug 24, 2016
  2. zanegl Win User

My USB Superdrive was not recognized as drive,but as RAW device..After this morning updates all is fixed..Also a Seagate 500GB external USB 3.0 drive was properly recognized and populated correct size today (I had problems -was recognized as "locked" drive and couldn't copy or move anything from or to my PC/drive - when it was connected to USB 3.0 port in 1607 (OS Build 14393.51)..Could this be related to personalised PC settings between users and PC configurations respectively ? Only Microsoft knows!!

zanegl, Aug 24, 2016
  3. I just updated to OS build 14393.82, and the problem continues, my external HDD still shows up as RAW. I have a Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 external HDD.

Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd [​IMG]

WindowsDiez, Aug 29, 2016
  4. Wynona Win User

I have three externals attached to my Windows 10 Build 14393.82 desktop (just now attached my new Toshiba Canvio 2TB) and all three are visible for me. I have a WD Passport 500GB, an older Toshiba Ext 500GB and the new Toshiba Canvio 2TB.

The desktop is an HP 500-056 with a 500GB SSD inside.

I haven't done anything differently than upgrading and using the computer.

Wynona, Aug 29, 2016
  5. Well, that's strange, this is my setup:

Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bits
    Version 1607
    OS Build 14393.82

WindowsDiez, Aug 29, 2016
  6. Carsomyr Win User
    I have fixed my problem using this partition recovery tool and this guide, and this is now what my drive looks like in disk management:

I don't know if it will work for you people with "Raw" partitions, but my "unallocated space" is now being seen properly *Biggrin

Carsomyr, Aug 30, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    I have no intention of upgrading until MS fixes this serious problem.

Steve C, Aug 30, 2016
  8. Carm Win User

As it's been a week since the last post, does anyone know if there has been a patch for this USB problem as I have this error with a data-full NTFS USB drive?

9. ReeG Win User
    registered to say I'm also having this issue with my WD 1TB passport drive on 2 systems I updated on Tuesday night. Figured it was the update when I plugged it into my wife's 1511 laptop and my Samsung smart TV both of which read the drive fine.
    Hit up google for a fix, found this thread and others on reddit but no actual fix. I can't believe it's been a month and this is still an issue. I'm rolling back both PC's back to 1511 tonight. Sucks because I wanted to play the new Forza Apex release which requires AU

Interesting side note, I had to force the update using the downloadable Win 10 upgrade assistant on the system I had the drive plugged into because "check for updates" wouldn't give me the 1607 update. It still doesn't show on my wife's laptop either. Maybe the built in windows update detects external drives and doesn't give you the update because MS is aware of the problem?

10. I have 3 Laptops. One has Windows 7. Another has Windows 10, non Anniversary Update (AU) & this one, which I manually updated to the AU v1607. I have eleven external HDD's, 5 portable & 6 powered. A mixture of Western Digital & Seagate. All worked fine on all 3 laptops, before I updated this one. After the AU, my laptop recognised all of the external drives, except one. It showed as RAW. I was able to copy it's contents to one of the other drives, using the other Win 10 laptop. After reading the Microsoft forum post about the problem, which has still not been fixed after a month of them finding out about it, I was left with 2 choices. Either roll back the AU or format the drive & see what happens. The quicker of the two was to format. I did a quick format & my laptop recognized the drive. I am transferring files back to it. I unplugged it & it is recognised by my other laptops & this one, when I replug it back in.

theoldfarter, Sep 8, 2016
  11. mrgeek Win User

This must be a new drive; Capacity = Free Space. You need to initialize and format the drive in order for Windows to recognize. Here's a step by step tutorial -
    Why Your New Hard Drive Isnt Showing Up in Windows (and How to Fix It)

mrgeek, Sep 8, 2016
  12. tom092000 Win User
    this bug sucks, just restored back to 1511 and copied 2tb of data back to my internal hdd, took me 7 hours. I hope m$ acknowledged this issue and working on a fix

tom092000, Sep 8, 2016
  13. Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

Hi, just wanted to report that I just updated to Windows update KB3189866, and now my Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 external HDD is working correctly!

Now my system looks like this:

Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bits
    Version 1607
    OS Build 14393.187

Thank you!

WindowsDiez, Sep 15, 2016
  14. anthorama Win User
    After the last cumulative update (KB3189866), my WD passeport is still not working with W10 AU...

anthorama, Sep 18, 2016
  15. Steve C Win User
    I'm not surprised since there has been no confirmation the bug has been fixed.

Steve C, Sep 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd - Similar Threads - Anniversary update problems

2. Problem with external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with external HDD: Hello, i have problem with external hdd when i plug in my external hdd into pc "this pc" loading and i can see hdd but cant access and cant see memory. When i try to open disk management it just loading and cant access but when i unplug external hdd everything is normal. I...
  3. external hdd problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hdd problem: hi my external hard drive is corrupted what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-problem/097d2cba-a617-47af-8600-fe5eeade7e81
  4. not recognizing external hdd after updating to windows insider program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not recognizing external hdd after updating to windows insider program: devicewd elements 25a2 2tb doesn't show in windows explorer, shows on device manager, and it says that the device is "working properly", and that the driver is the newest. but the driver date in disk management shows as 6/21/2006I tried looking for it in disk management, but...
  5. Windows 10 doesn't recognize external hdd

Windows 10 doesn't recognize external hdd: I have a hdd that I took from my old laptop, and I'm trying to use it as an external hard drive for my new one, but it doesn't recognize it. I'm using a SATA III to USB-C adapter, I can feel and hear it spinning, but after like 15 seconds it stops. [ATTACH] This is what...
  6. External HDD problems...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD problems...: Hello! I am having major problems with my external WD MyBook Essentials 2TB USB 3.0. Windows 10 wont start up the drive anymore. When i plug it in. It recognises it as a hard drive "D:\" somehow, but totally stucks in a loop where it just keeps loading but nothing will...
  7. External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?

External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate and now my Seagate USB HDD is no longer being recognized,no drive letters show at all but it is showing that it is plugged in on the task bar and is showing in "Device Manager" as plugged in and enabled but in...
  8. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10: As already someone asked years ago (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-not-recognized-as-ssd-in-windows-10/70716cb4-34a8-475c-8267-c4a5669beeeb) without any positive fix, I'm here to do the same question again. Why my windows 10 pro x64...
  9. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem: Hello guys, I have small problem updating Windows 10 to the Anniversary update/build on my PC. I was downloading the 1607 build this morning through Windows update as usual and it installed some other updates, but not the build update. Now it keeps saying that my PC is...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....: Hi, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro edition 10586.494 without issue,as I have not yet received the automatic update to the Anniversary Edition I decided to install it manually. I downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade assistant and it checked my PC and proceeded to...