Windows 10: Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

Discus and support Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It should be on the box it came in. Or the literature included with it. i threw that stuff away years ago Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Helderjfl, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

i threw that stuff away years ago

progenitor04, Sep 30, 2016

2. Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd [​IMG]

progenitor04, Sep 30, 2016
  3. update:: i reset my pc thinking itd go back to previous builds that was a mistake.. still same issue

progenitor04, Oct 12, 2016
  4. mike s Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd

+1

I held off on installing the AU for a long time for fear of this issue as I use multiple external devices to backup and transport files between several PC's, most of which are now updated to Win10.

I keep checking these threads, and those on the MS Community Forums for the promised announcement that these issues are believed to be resolved, but find none. Example:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...on=14720421474

I keep checking the bug fixes listed in each of the humongous cumulative updates released so far, but find no documentation which specifically and explicitly addresses this issue.

Yet I keep reading in this, and other threads here, that the issue (causing NTFS partitions on external, and sometimes internal drives to be reported as "RAW") is presumed to have been patched. Has it? Pointer please ... or status report? Anyone?

mike s, Oct 13, 2016
  5. new build jus came out hopefully it fixes theses issues

progenitor04, Oct 13, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    I'm in the same boat. See my post at Is the Anniversary Update Missing Drives Problem Solved?. I'm not inclined to try the AU and waste my time sorting out problems until I see clear confirmation that this bug has been fixed.

Steve C, Oct 14, 2016
  7. Rolling back from v1607 to v1511 scares me -- a can of worms perhaps. But after multiple troubleshooting and driver checks, etc. for my Samsung SSD T1 not being recognized, I forgot to remove it before a reboot, and it was recognized and fully functional. A fluke? No. It works every time, on my HP laptop and Dell PC. Just plug it in and startup. Fortunately it's the only Windows 10 glitch that I have run into on the laptop and PC, so you can understand my reticence.

stillwillingW10, Oct 15, 2016
  8. Wynona Win User

I don't ever remove my external drives from the PC when I shut down for the night and reboot in the morning. So far, they all just work. I have one WD Passport and three Toshibas.

Wynona, Oct 15, 2016
  9. That makes sense. So then you wouldn't necessarily have noticed the change after doing the v1607 update. My external SSD goes with me to work and home again. Before the update I had no trouble plugging it in when my computers were already running. I can no longer do that. I'm just glad I have the workaround, but W10 v1607 still has this issue to address.

10. Wynona Win User
    Ummm, when updating/upgrading, I unplug all externals. Then plug them back in before rebooting.

Wynona, Oct 15, 2016
  11. Sorry if I was not clear on this. No external drives were plugged in during any update/upgrades. I am just describing the glitch that showed up after the switch to v1607 build 14393. Before the switch I could always plug my SSD into a computer that's already running -- not anymore.

12. after the anniversary update, western digital passport 1 TB has stopped working and i am unable to roll back to the previous version of windows 10.
    Is there any solution found for this problem?

shabeebdurrani, Dec 2, 2016
  13. rigel58 Win User

rigel58, Jan 8, 2017
  14. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Jan 8, 2017
  15. rigel58 Win User
    Sorry about the link, yes, it is the same article and I can confirm that after upgrading to w10 ann. only the Buffallo drive (in my case ) had a problem.

rigel58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd - Similar Threads - Anniversary update problems

2. Problem with external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with external HDD: Hello, i have problem with external hdd when i plug in my external hdd into pc "this pc" loading and i can see hdd but cant access and cant see memory. When i try to open disk management it just loading and cant access but when i unplug external hdd everything is normal. I...
  3. external hdd problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hdd problem: hi my external hard drive is corrupted what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-problem/097d2cba-a617-47af-8600-fe5eeade7e81
  4. not recognizing external hdd after updating to windows insider program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not recognizing external hdd after updating to windows insider program: devicewd elements 25a2 2tb doesn't show in windows explorer, shows on device manager, and it says that the device is "working properly", and that the driver is the newest. but the driver date in disk management shows as 6/21/2006I tried looking for it in disk management, but...
  5. Windows 10 doesn't recognize external hdd

Windows 10 doesn't recognize external hdd: I have a hdd that I took from my old laptop, and I'm trying to use it as an external hard drive for my new one, but it doesn't recognize it. I'm using a SATA III to USB-C adapter, I can feel and hear it spinning, but after like 15 seconds it stops. [ATTACH] This is what...
  6. External HDD problems...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD problems...: Hello! I am having major problems with my external WD MyBook Essentials 2TB USB 3.0. Windows 10 wont start up the drive anymore. When i plug it in. It recognises it as a hard drive "D:\" somehow, but totally stucks in a loop where it just keeps loading but nothing will...
  7. External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?

External HDD no longer being recognized in Windows 10?: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Ultimate and now my Seagate USB HDD is no longer being recognized,no drive letters show at all but it is showing that it is plugged in on the task bar and is showing in "Device Manager" as plugged in and enabled but in...
  8. External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10

External SSD recognized as HDD in Windows 10: As already someone asked years ago (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-not-recognized-as-ssd-in-windows-10/70716cb4-34a8-475c-8267-c4a5669beeeb) without any positive fix, I'm here to do the same question again. Why my windows 10 pro x64...
  9. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem: Hello guys, I have small problem updating Windows 10 to the Anniversary update/build on my PC. I was downloading the 1607 build this morning through Windows update as usual and it installed some other updates, but not the build update. Now it keeps saying that my PC is...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....: Hi, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro edition 10586.494 without issue,as I have not yet received the automatic update to the Anniversary Edition I decided to install it manually. I downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade assistant and it checked my PC and proceeded to...