Windows 10: Windows 10 Anniversary update -- SMB shares not available over VPN

Discus and support Windows 10 Anniversary update -- SMB shares not available over VPN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All my laptops have been updated to the Windows 10 Anniversary update. They all connected correctly to the NAS device that uses the SMB connectivity,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by yleclerc, Sep 25, 2016.

1. yleclerc Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary update -- SMB shares not available over VPN

All my laptops have been updated to the Windows 10 Anniversary update. They all connected correctly to the NAS device that uses the SMB connectivity, when connected to the same network. Whenever any are out of the office, they connect to the network over VPN. Then, they can not access the NAS device shares. I have seen this type of problem is wide-spread as Microsoft has changed the way SMB/CIFS file Sharing Support system works.

How can I fix this?

:)

yleclerc, Sep 25, 2016
  2. Isha Soni Win User

Access server smb shares remotely via pptp vpn

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Forum.

I would suggest you to post your question in TechNet forums.

TechNet Forum: Windows 10 IT Pro

TechNet is looked at by other IT professionals who would more than likely be able to assist you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks& Regards,

Isha Soni, Sep 25, 2016
  3. zemmo Win User
    Access server smb shares remotely via pptp vpn

Hi. I have successfully created a vpn "Incoming Connection" by adding a "New Incoming Connection" under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. After lots of trouble shooting and forum research, I can successfully access the vpn from the
    internet (with standard W10 settings - ie no other apps etc).

(One thing: the only way I can make this work is to specify IP addresses in the TPC/IPV4 settings for the incoming connection. During a vpn connection, my router shows a new device with the same name as my server and the "specified" ip address while the
    server seems to remain connected via its own router-fixed IP address).

When I connect from the internet (via Android vpn), I can successfully read/write to any smb share on my home LAN that is NOT shared from the vpn server (Windows 10 Professional PC). These shares are on W10, Android and Rpi2 devices connected to the router
    variously by Ethernet/wireless. Fantastic start.

I can NOT access shares on the "server" machine (ie the W10 pc through which the vpn connect is established) from the internet.
    And these are the ones I really want.

NB these shares work perfectly when accessed from my home LAN. I have run through all the permissions in grim detail and they are identical to those on the other W10 shares.

I suspect the problem might be either:

a) a user account problem (perhaps my user account can't see shares from its "own" machine when connected remotely? I have created a new account to test this theory with no success).

b) some sort of ip address conflict.

I will keep investigating but I would appreciate any clues! Happy to provide further configs if it can help.

Thanks so much!

Z

zemmo, Sep 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

How are the shares hosted? Who maintains the network and VPN problems?

Depending on what type of VPN is used and how it is hosted, can cause those outside of the network to not be able to reach them. Has nothing to do with the other issue which has been fixed by now.

bro67, Sep 25, 2016
  5. yleclerc Win User
    The VPN is a Dell SonicWALL device and the NAS device is on my network. It all was working BEFORE the Anniversary update was pushed thru. Neither the NetBIOS name or the IP address is working now.

yleclerc, Sep 26, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    You are the second one today having issues with whatever update got pushed. I may have to look at my wife's laptop and see which updates that she has not applied, since I have her's set to not update unless I go in and review. I would roll back before this set of updates and lock out any Device Drivers to be updated by Microsoft Update.

This may still work. It has been a while since I have messed with my wife's laptop to remember which one I did. 2 ways to control Windows 10 automatic updates | PCWorld

bro67, Sep 26, 2016
  7. Hello,
    We have the same problem : people in our organisation can access NAS via smb when they are in the local network. But when they join the local ntework via the SonicWall VPN they can't.
    One detail : the smb shares are public, no id nor password is needed to access them.

Did you find a solution ?
    Do you think this is a good solution ? https://www.tenforums.com/register.ph...7&i=e883829661

Thanks for your help.
    Nathanael

nathanael2, Sep 26, 2016
  8. yleclerc Win User

I have yet to find a fix. My NAS device also allows the mapping of ftp sites. I tried this and the NAS was accessible but not user friendly to use. Therefore it seems that it is definitely a Microsoft setting problem / issue. So far, most of the Registry hacks appear to not work for me.

yleclerc, Sep 26, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  10. yleclerc Win User
    To further describe the cause. It is one problematic module:

3185879 MS16-114: Security Update for Windows SMBv1 Server: September 13, 2016

yleclerc, Sep 27, 2016
  11. yleclerc Win User
    I have a work-around. Instead of using the Dell SonicWALL Global VPN Clients software, I configured a Windows L2TP VPN connectoid with the native Windows 10 networking system {VPN Provider: Windows (built-in).} Make sure to change the setting of the VPN from "Automatic" to "L2TP/IPsec with pre-shared key."

Then make sure to set up the Dell SonicWALL unit to accept L2TP VPN requests.

Then, there is a Windows 10 Registry manual change. (see: Trying to conect Windows 10 to L2TP VPN, connection "... failed because security policy for the connection was not found." • r/techsupport
    (note: Always make sure to create a backup copy of the existing Windows 10 registry of the computer you are working on, before editing.)

As per the article, Microsoft has determined that IPsec VPN security from a computer in back of a NAT (most routers) device is not secure and disables this.

yleclerc, Sep 27, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    At least we are getting somewhere in fixing the mess that Microsoft will not fix at this moment. With Microsoft trying to decide what is safe and what is not, is why we are dealing with these issues with Windows.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  13. yleclerc Win User

To further my previous reply: You would then need to set your VPN from Public network to Private network. After this, all shares appear as if you are part of "your" network. No user name / password combination required.

yleclerc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Anniversary update -- SMB shares not available over VPN - Similar Threads - Anniversary update SMB

2. Printing to a shared printer over VPN.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Printing to a shared printer over VPN.: At local site host site Win10 PC with IP 192.168.1.20 and the router configured for remote PPTP VPN. At remote site, Win7 PC with a shared printer attached called HPshare. After establishing the VPN connection and based on my router config the Win7 PC at the remote sites...
  3. SMB share credentials

SMB share credentials: Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows...
  4. Is anniversary update available on windows 10 home?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is anniversary update available on windows 10 home?: Is anniversary update available on windows 10 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-anniversary-update-available-on-windows-10-home/ae33bd53-4d67-4f23-9191-cbaa4f3c069e
  5. Entering a SMB share

Entering a SMB share: Hi everyone, in W10 i shared a folder and i want to enter them using "ES File Explorer" in Android. From that app i'm requested for user e psw. SMB protocol are active: Windows PowerShell Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>...
  6. Sharing a VPN Internet over Mobile hotspot in Windows 10

Sharing a VPN Internet over Mobile hotspot in Windows 10: I want to share my VPN internet connection over wifi. please help me regarding this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/sharing-a-vpn-internet-over-mobile-hotspot-in/d732977f-79aa-4c9e-972c-1ec4c01fc1e1
  7. Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN

Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN: Hi, I have set up a VPN on my server at home. I am not using a domain. I can ping IP's on the network I am connected to and access things like my router using a local IP address. I can't however access any of my mapped drives. I've tried allowing all SMB rules in...
  8. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Available August 2

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Available August 2: Been out of loop for a while,can I still get this update? Running version 1511 now,is this a free upgrade?. Are their a lot of changes or should I stick to my current version. Thanks for any tips on this. 59543
  9. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Available August 2

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Available August 2: *ArrowWindows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums [img] Today we’re excited to announce the next major update to Windows 10 – the Windows 10 Anniversary Update – is coming on August 2. We are committed to delivering continuous innovation to you: including...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary Update SDK Now Available!

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update SDK Now Available!: Today I’m pleased to announce that following the Windows 10 Anniversary Update we have released the Windows 10 Anniversary Update SDK, build 14393 along with Visual Studio 2015 Update 3. The new SDK contains more than 2700 enhancements to the Universal Windows Platform...