Windows 10: windows 10 Anniversary upgrade created a recovery partition

Discus and support windows 10 Anniversary upgrade created a recovery partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi , after windows 10 anniversary upgrade installation i ran Disk Management and found a new created Recovery Partition as shown in picture . 845 MB ,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by babis49, Aug 5, 2016.

1. babis49 Win User

windows 10 Anniversary upgrade created a recovery partition

Hi ,
    after windows 10 anniversary upgrade installation i ran Disk Management and found a new created Recovery Partition as shown in picture . 845 MB , Healthy (Recovery partition). Is it necessary or can I delete it ?
    The Upgrade installation has been absolutely successful , no problem at all.

windows 10 Anniversary upgrade created a recovery partition [​IMG]

:)

babis49, Aug 5, 2016
  2. COMPTONNJ Win User

Recovery partition

I have an HP desktop running windows 10 home. It came with windows 8 and as such I upgraded it to windows 10 ANNIVERSARY VERSION).

It also came configured with a recovery image partition and am wondering if the upgrade upgraded the recovery partition to windows 10 from 8. It would seem as the recovery image partition is nothing more than an image as can be created from the backup page.

Any advice on how i can know what the existing partition contains? Was it upgraded to reinstall windows 8 or 10? What will happen if I use the partition to restore the computer?

Thanks for your help

COMPTONNJ, Aug 5, 2016
  3. Recovery partition in Windows 10

When you upgrade Windows 8.1 to 10, Windows 10 will create a recovery partition if your system reserved partition (MBR disk) or Recovery Partition doesn't have enough disk space. As you know, Windows can only shrink a partition from the right side,
    so you should be able to tell which recovery partition is new created. If you
    create Windows 10 recovery disk
    using a USB drive, then Windows will give you an option to delete the recovery partition.

Youngwarlord, Aug 5, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

You can check which recovery partition is registered with the command reagentc /info from elevated command prompt. You'll see something like this: Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Windows\system32>reagentc /info Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration Information: Windows RE status: Enabled Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition1\Recovery\WindowsRE Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 3d8f8337-bc56-11e5-a7c5-85493d747884 Recovery image location: Recovery image index: 0 Custom image location: Custom image index: 0 REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful. C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] To find which partition the number above you need to check diskpart as disk management doesn't show all partitions (the MSR partition specifically which is partition 3 normally). Again from elevated command prompt: Code: C:\Windows\system32>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0 Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: WIN10 DISKPART> select disk 0 Disk 0 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> list par Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 500 MB 20 KB Partition 2 System 200 MB 500 MB Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 701 MB Partition 4 Primary 32 GB 717 MB Partition 5 Primary 55 GB 33 GB Partition 6 Unknown 23 GB 88 GB Partition 7 Unknown 619 MB 112 GB[/quote]
    Perhaps it made a new one as 401MB is not big enough - normally it is 500MB AFAIK.

lx07, Aug 5, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    I just upgraded my laptop and I have no additional partition (see Partition Magic disk map below). Are you sure that recovery partition wasn't already present?

Steve C, Aug 6, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    Hi Steve, I didn't get one either. I think the reason is that my recovery partition is 500MB and yours is 450MB. The OP had a recovery partition of 401MB. According to System builder deployment of Windows 10 for desktop editions
    As Winre is (according to your picture) 354.21MB this might explain it - there wasn't enough free space for the required 50MB free space. This is only a guess though.

Anyway reagentc /info will show the registered Winre.wim and if the new partition (probably 5 for the OP) isn't being used it could be deleted. If it is then partition 1 could be deleted - you just don't want to delete the partition with the registered RE image really *Wink

lx07, Aug 6, 2016
  7. babis49 Win User
    To find which partition the number above you need to check diskpart as disk management doesn't show all partitions (the MSR partition specifically which is partition 3 normally). Again from elevated command prompt: Code: C:\Windows\system32>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0 Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: WIN10 DISKPART> select disk 0 Disk 0 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> list par Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 500 MB 20 KB Partition 2 System 200 MB 500 MB Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 701 MB Partition 4 Primary 32 GB 717 MB Partition 5 Primary 55 GB 33 GB Partition 6 Unknown 23 GB 88 GB Partition 7 Unknown 619 MB 112 GB[/quote]
    Perhaps it made a new one as 401MB is not big enough - normally it is 500MB AFAIK.[/quote] Hi , Ix07
    following your instructions I 've got this below

babis49, Aug 6, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

That shows the new partition is being used as your recovery partition. You should not delete it.

You could delete partition 1 and move partition 2 and 3 to the left. You can't do it with MS utilities - you'd have to use something like Partition Wizard

For 401MB I'd not bother - it is not so much space really - but if you could.

lx07, Aug 6, 2016
  9. babis49 Win User
    using the EaseUs Partition Master free edition , I've got this

babis49, Aug 6, 2016
  10. babis49 Win User
    thanks a lot Ix07 for your help
    in order to highlight the matter it is worth to mention the following :
    when I create a backup using windows 7 included program omits partition 1 ( WINRE 401 MB ....) although Macrium Reflect and Acronis True Image don't . So, when restore from a System Image (backup) windows 7 backup program
    fails , but Macrium Reflect and Acronis True Image restore successfully .

babis49, Aug 6, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Does not surprise me - the Windows 7 tool has not been developed for years (clue is in the name). The 3rd party apps are just so superior.

cereberus, Aug 6, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    Quite so - and it was only in 1511 that it was recommended WinRE came after C. Always in the past it was recommended (had to be perhaps?) before C. Not surprising Win 7 backup gets confused.

13. twokatmew Win User

It looks like I'm going to have to completely reinstall Windows to get the Anniversary update. My laptop has a 450MB WINRE partition (before EFI and C partitions), and the update won't install at all. It generates an error that the recovery partition is too small. In the past, upgrades just created an extra recovery partition. Not that I want one.... This is on an HP x360 Spectre i7 with a 250GB SSD, and there's plenty of empty space on C. Has anyone seen this behavior?

twokatmew, Aug 6, 2016
  14. Oubadah Win User
    Is this why I saw separate PE10 and PE10 1511 options for creating Macrium rescue media? I didn't know which to choose, to I let it choose, and it downloaded the regular PE10 version (even though the PC it was running on was Win10 AU).

Why does a clean installation from a Win10 AU ISO (onto a partitionless drive) still use 450MB before C then? Microsoft doesn't adhere to their new scheme?

I clean installed Win10 AU and it used the same old 450-99-C: structure.

When I tried upgrading an existing Win10 install to AU, it tacked a second 809MB recovery partition onto the end of C: (the last partition), even though there was unallocated space after C:.

Oubadah, Sep 17, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    I don't think so no. The PE10 1511 version is to support a new Bitlocker encryption option. If you don't use bitlocker it doesn't matter what you use and anyway Macrium will not care about the partition order.
    Checking Win PE version?

You are quite right - 1607 still puts WinRE first on clean install

Actually if you partition yourself it doesn't matter at all what order you put your partitions as long as they are the right type. You can put your EFI partition first or last for example. To me the 1511 OEM recommendation makes more sense than what MS themselves currently do on clean install. Perhaps the people writing the installer haven't caught up yet - or perhaps the recommendation is out of date or perhaps they don't talk to each other - who knows.

This is the text of the recommendation for OEM deployment dated 25th August so 3 weeks after 1607 was released...
    OEM deployment of Windows 10 for desktop editions

Thema:

1. windows 10 Anniversary upgrade created a recovery partition - Similar Threads - Anniversary upgrade created

2. Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB: My installed system on a new computer, has a 1.73gb partition on the SSD called "recovery Partition", but, the only references/utilities/apps I can find will only create a recovery "drive" on an external USB/disk.What's the go??What's the point of this partition taking up...
  3. Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB: My installed system on a new computer, has a 1.73gb partition on the SSD called "recovery Partition", but, the only references/utilities/apps I can find will only create a recovery "drive" on an external USB/disk.What's the go??What's the point of this partition taking up...
  4. How to create a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a recovery partition?: Let's say I was able to download the Win10 iso from herehttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10I am fully aware that recovery Image and recovery drive is completely different from recovery partition - I want to have my system to gain ability of oem pc to...
  5. How to create a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create a recovery partition?: Let's say I was able to download the Win10 iso from herehttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10I am fully aware that recovery Image and recovery drive is completely different from recovery partition - I want to have my system to gain ability of oem pc to...
  6. How to create a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to create Windows 10 recovery partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to create Windows 10 recovery partition: Hi all, I have a question in regards to windows recovery. My lenovo y50-70 laptop (currently using) came with their recover software Onekey (which has since been bought out and not supported). Because I also have Ubuntu and MacOS installed on this same machine (and so had to...
  8. Win10 2004 upgrade created a second recovery partition

Win10 2004 upgrade created a second recovery partition: Win10 Pro Ver 2004 Just discovered that when I upgraded from Ver 1909 to 2004 a new Recovery partition was created. It's same structure as the other. Ver 1903 has the recovery partition as the fist one. Ver 2004 has the recovery partition at the end of the C: partition 161611
  9. Windows 10 upgrade installing on recovery partition.

Windows 10 upgrade installing on recovery partition.: Windows 10 is downloading to my win 8 recovery partition and before it's complete it tells me the recovery partition is full, which it is. I've run disc clean up and still no luck. Any way to get win 10 to download to another partition? 52815
  10. Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition: How to: Factory recovery - Create a Custom Recovery Partition [img] Information Most computers today with OEM pre-installed Windows come with a so called Factory recovery partition. This partition allows users to restore Windows 10 to it's original state, as it was when...