Windows 10: Windows 10 Anniversary - wifi problems

Discus and support Windows 10 Anniversary - wifi problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ok, on one PC, connected by ethernet wire to router, upgraded to 1607 with seeminly no problems. On my other PC, connected by wifi usb dongle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Coastalguy, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Anniversary - wifi problems

Ok, on one PC, connected by ethernet wire to router, upgraded to 1607 with seeminly no problems. On my other PC, connected by wifi usb dongle (Netgear), I upgraded to 1607 but was left with no wifi internet. Wifi was fine throughout the upgrade, but disappeared completely when booting up initially with 1607. Tried new usb dongle (Linksys), with no success. On both, did not automatically find windows drivers. With mfg DVD's, for both installs it stalled 1/2 way through leaving message that it was still installing. Never finished. Using device manager tried uninstalling and then restoring both of these, but they also came back with an error message saying it didn't work. Finally, went back to 1511 and immediately when booting up with this, my wifi came back with Windows recognizing the Netgear usb.

Now, on my first PC that I thought was ok, it is for everything connected via ethernet wire, including my router, however the wifi Roku devices that displayed under my Network on 1511, now do not. Additionally, my Roku Media Player that previously found and displayed media from both my PC and NAS drives, no longer can find them.

Have tried all kinds of Google searches, and can find nothing for this specific problem, or how to fix it. Now to play my media on Roku, I have to copy it to a USB thumb drive and plug it directly into the Roku device. What a pain!

:)

Coastalguy, Sep 25, 2016

2. problems with windows 10 and google chrome

since loading windows 10 i have seen a number of frustrating issues when using google chrome which i have never had before. The most frustrating of these (i have a touch screen laptop) is if i drag the cursor over the screen it resizes either larger or
    smaller which is not what i want. Not a techie so whilst i have tried to fix it looking at other issues i have still not been successful - any ideas how i can fix this please?

windows 10 problems, Sep 25, 2016
  3. random wifi disconnects

A lot of people are having this problem, including me. Everything started after Windows 10 anniversary update. I also tried an external usb wifi adapter and it didn't help me.

ehehehehehehe, Sep 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary - wifi problems

Did you try installing the drivers for those wifi dongles? Try rebooting your Gateway, even resetting it and see if that works. Something is jammed up in it if it allows certain devices to connect, but not others.

bro67, Sep 25, 2016
  5. jmartin Win User
    I had the same problem while on an extended camping trip. Windoze downloaded and updated on my laptop while on the road, then the wireless link came up "connected, no internet."

I happened to be at my son's house at the time, so I connected to his router with a wire.. That got me on the internet. Tried updating the wireless adapter driver. Windows said it's up to date. Tried shutting off AVG. NG Shut off all firewalls NG proceeded to do my business on the wire and disconnected. Tried connecting wireless later and it worked.

The next oportunity was at a ND rest stop Wi-Fi. NG. Really frustrating as I was pinned down by weather and needed to see what was ahead.

For information, when the problem first manifested, ping to all sites worked, but the sites would not respond to a connect request. (obviously something blocked by windows, hardware OK)

Windoze also sometimes seems to take exception to the practice of switching from http to https at a site. (SOP all along) declaring it insecure and refusing to connect.

I felt like using the Hillary Clinton method on this laptop. (Hammer)

Seriously, it's obvious that new Windoze "security measures" have broken my PC. I don't know what to do except roll back the anniversary update to make this traveling machine useful again.

jmartin, Sep 25, 2016
  6. Yes, as I mentioned initially, I tried installing the mfg drivers, using their DVD's, but both stopped installing 1/2 way through and would not finish. Some or part though, did install as they then appeared in the Device Manager where I then tried the re-install feature which came back with an error that it couldn't install. Also uninstalled each via the Device Manager and tried to re-install via the DVD's but same results.

Went back to 1511 and wireless came right back up. Something on 1607 is not the same as 1511, obviously.

Coastalguy, Sep 25, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Yes there are some major changes with AU. The drivers on the DVD's can be very old, so that is why you need to get them from the mfg website. Also if it was set as a Public not Private network, you would not be able to connect.

bro67, Sep 25, 2016
  8. Windows 10 Anniversary - wifi problems

On my existing Netgear, I downloaded the latest from their site, and on the Linksys, I just purchased it. Both hung up on the installation, which whether old or new should not happen. My original Netgear installed fine on 1511, so obviously the problem was with 1607 wireless.

Coastalguy, Sep 26, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    I would then rollback to 1511. Is that Netgear Legacy wireless (wireless b/g) or newer? What model and version is it?

bro67, Sep 26, 2016
  10. No, it's a N. WNDA3100v2. As mentioned, I also went to BestBuy and purchased the lastest Linksys USB wireless and tried that, which is what I mentioned also had the latest install problems as the Netgear. After restoring to 1511 and my Netgear started working again, I took the Linksys back.

Coastalguy, Sep 26, 2016
  11. TrustMe Win User
    I just read on the forum someone with the same problem, "connected, no internet". What he did to "fix" it was to bring up the msconfig utility, click on the services tab, disable all MS services, and reboot. That got the Internet working again. Then he started adding one service at a time until he found out which one was causing the problem. He never did say which one it was. I tried finding the thread, but could not.

TrustMe, Sep 26, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    There were two KB's that have been found to cause network problems at this point. They were installed during last week's updates. I posted about it in a post in this section of the forum. It is basically going in and deleting those two KB's and everything returns back to normal.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  13. jmartin Win User

I made some gains today. The laptop would connect and displayed connected, no internet. Ping to a site had no replies.

I checked the wireless nic driver configuration and found that roaming was disabled. I set it to highest. Then it connected. That would explain why I suddenly got connection to a router after I had hard wired to it. (not roaming, known wired connection)

Ping to a site then returned normally. That indicated that hardware and DNS were working. No site would respond to an attempt to connect.

After trying several things, I disabled the AVG firewall. Then the internet worked. Of course that configuration is not acceptable. I need to call AVG for some support.

In my examination I determined that the wireless nic driver was installed by the windoze upgrade about 4 am while I was sleeping. It set the parameters wrong, and must have upset the AVG firewall parameters as well. I smell a rat there.

jmartin, Sep 27, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    AVG will tell you a canned script. Roaming aggressiveness set at high can be worst than keeping it at default.

bro67, Sep 28, 2016
  15. jmartin Win User
    So what would "default" be? This is my travelling computer. It should know DOT Wi-FI's from here west to Montana and Colorado.

jmartin, Sep 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Anniversary - wifi problems - Similar Threads - Anniversary wifi problems

2. Windows 10 anniversary update after problems

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 anniversary update after problems: Hi all, thanks for dropping by my post and having a read. So.. yes by the looks of things there seems to be on various boards problems with the windows 10 anniversary update. Unfortunately I am in that camp. 2 desktops and a laptop have all been struck with the same issue....
  3. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem: Hello guys, I have small problem updating Windows 10 to the Anniversary update/build on my PC. I was downloading the 1607 build this morning through Windows update as usual and it installed some other updates, but not the build update. Now it keeps saying that my PC is...
  4. Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Thunderbird Problems

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Thunderbird Problems: Ever since the Windows 10 Anniversary Update my Thunderbird is a hit and miss for email. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it checks for new email, often it says it cannot connect. Anyone have any solutions? 67651
  5. WINDOWS Anniversary upgrade problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    WINDOWS Anniversary upgrade problem: After having installed the upgrade, I was asked for Pin code or Microsoft account password. None of my formerly used pin code or password is accepted. I tried changing Microsoft account password on my laptop. Did not help. What can I do to start my computer? 59029
  6. NETGEAR A6210 AC1200 WiFi windows 10 anniversary update problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NETGEAR A6210 AC1200 WiFi windows 10 anniversary update problems: Hi, I think this is the 4th USB Wifi adapter that i have tried to use with windows 10 after the anniversary update to create a hotspot/adhoc Mainly using the program connectify Befor doing this update my USD wifi was fine i was forced to update windows for the new...
  7. Windows 10 Anniversary Update BSOD problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update BSOD problem: I have a problem during the update to Windows 10 Anniversary , I get BSOD in the instalation and then I get a message : Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key I close my PC and I decide to install the update again...
  8. Windows 10 Anniversary WMDRM Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Anniversary WMDRM Problem: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary edition over 2 weeks ago. I recently started my Rhapsody app as I have a subscription. And I can no longer download anything from my Rhapsody account and play it back. And of course when I want to revert to an older version of...
  9. Anniversary Update Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update Problem: I downloaded and installed the iso referenced in Dona Sarkar's announcement memo Win_10_1607_English_X64.iso dated 8/2/16. My winver shows 1607 build 14393.0. I expected it to be 14393.10. Anyone know what's up? The machine is an original upgrade from Win 8.1. I also have a...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....: Hi, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro edition 10586.494 without issue,as I have not yet received the automatic update to the Anniversary Edition I decided to install it manually. I downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade assistant and it checked my PC and proceeded to...